Elliptical or rower?

Options
In your experience which do you find is best for burning calories. I'm thinking of buying one and like the idea of an elliptical trainer but I've heard rowing would be a better workout.

Replies

• Amarillo_NDN
    Amarillo_NDN Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    Go to a gym and check them out. If you are not a member, most gyms alow you to have a free trial. See which one kicks your butt the most.
  • SarahBC
    SarahBC Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    They are both full body workouts and burn similar calories but I would suggest trying both and seeing which one you like as they are both hard to get used to and not eveyone likes them ...
  • kate205gti
    kate205gti Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    we've got both at my gym and 10 mins on the rower burns about 110-120 calories at a reasonable pace - but after 10 mins im bored and had enough :blushing: the elliptical only burns 90-110 per 10 mins (depending on how hard im working) but i do that one most days for up to 40 mins (60 mins is the record lol) because i find it a lot more interesting and easier to get into! as said try them both out and opt for the one youre likely to use the most :) the best exercise isnt the one that burns the most calories, its the one that you will stick to :bigsmile:
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    I could row all day long. If you're doing the stroke properly it actually takes some concentration and then it becomes meditative for me. I find that It also burns more calories. Our next purchase is gonna be a rower. Have you done it? It's a total body workout, but it really works your core and upper body the most. I also feel it a lot in my calves the next day from the push. Plus, there are different ways to do it so you just work just arms, just abs, just arms and back, just legs, etc. It's really versatile. I already have an elliptical and I've had it for about 5 months and I use it 5 times a week, (I only get to use a rowing machine once a week) and I get very bored with the ellip. That's my opinion. If you get a rowing machine, I'll be jealous :wink:

You could plug in the numbers to MFP and see what it says the burn will be? Could give you an idea of an average, maybe?
  • OpalFruitJam
    OpalFruitJam Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I personally prefer the Elliptical. It's easy once you're in the 'groove'. I usually take my ipod in and prop it up and watch a film on it (something I coudln't do on the rowing machine) and time just flies by.
    Do the same with tv shows as well :)
    However it's what works best for you. I find I can sustain myself on the elliptical, whereas I have to get off the rower within twenty mins!