The Homeless.

Options
pita7317
pita7317 Posts: 1,437 Member
Since I have started MFP, I often think about people that can't afford a place to live let alone eat even close to decently.
I know it's a huge problem. Beyond huge.
Does anyone know of a charity that will honestly help those in need ?

Replies

• MyOwnSunshine
    MyOwnSunshine Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    In the U.S., there are two honest charities that I know provide a great deal of help to the homeless: Volunteers of America and the Salvation Army.

I used to volunteer with homeless teens, and there are also many community-based organizations that would appreciate money or time.

I am not sure about organizations in other countries.
  • hilts1969
    hilts1969 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Since I have started MFP, I often think about people that can't afford a place to live let alone eat even close to decently.
    I know it's a huge problem. Beyond huge.
    Does anyone know of a charity that will honestly help those in need ?

Sorry i am unaware of any charities, maybe they should do adverts, open shops or stop you in the street? you would think in this day and age someone would set up a charity to help others
  • PinkyFett
    PinkyFett Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    I was homeless with my kids after a fire before. Red Cross helped us out. Put us up in a hotel for 3 days and got some cash to buy clothes and baby things. They also gave us things like soaps and toothbrushes. It was a BIG help.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Red Cross is good, I have idealogical issues with the Salvation Army on a number of levels but if you don't they do provide a lot of assistance to the homeless. Your town will probably have local shelters too, it might be worth finding the smaller local ones as they are more "ground level" and usually in need of more help. You can donate money, goods or clothes, or your time.

Personally, my local charity of choice is a women's shelter, not only are they assisting with homelessness, they are assisting women and their children who are homeless often due to family violence.
  • zillah73
    zillah73 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    Maybe look locally? I volunteer every Thanksgiving and Christmas at different locations that serve free hot meals to those in need. Neither are large organizations but, rather small, locally-run non-profits.
  • EllieB_5
    EllieB_5 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Here in Manitoba, Canada there is Klinic, Winnipeg Harvest, and Siloam Mission. The best thing about donating to these three is that you can donate needed items instead of money. The Mission obviously needs volunteers, food, animal food, clothing, bedding, etc. Winnipeg Harvest needs food and volunteers. Klinic likes to set out a bowl of fruit for clients to take from as well as needing art supplies, stationary, whatever. Personally, I donate items instead of money; I know exactly where my money is going.

If you want to get really active in helping the homeless bring them non-perishable food items (that do not require a can opener or heating), bottled water, bedding, parkas and boots for the winters, etc.
  • PinkyFett
    PinkyFett Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    Maybe look locally? I volunteer every Thanksgiving and Christmas at different locations that serve free hot meals to those in need. Neither are large organizations but, rather small, locally-run non-profits.

Good idea. Xmas time, many places have trees you can pick a card with a kid's name and gift they'd like. I love that idea and I'm going to do that this year.
  • tinkbaby101
    tinkbaby101 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    There are several ways you can look into helping them.

Check with local charities. There are several in my home city that work directly with the homeless population.

Contribute to a nationally recognized organization that provides assistance for the homeless.

Do something about it yourself. Several times a year, my family and I make bag lunches and deliver them to local parks that are known to have large homeless populations. We usually have leftovers, and hand out the rest at the nearest homeless shelter. It's pretty inexpensive (think less than $30 for sandwiches, bags, mini water bottles, homemade cookies, and an encouraging note - this feeds about 50 people). I can't tell you how thankful they are, to have some friendly human interaction, while they receive a free meal. We had many, many people tell us that the interaction and the notes meant more to them than the food.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    Where I live, there is a shelter for homeless teenagers and youth that is very good and helpful, it is called Covenant House. But, there are lots of other resources and ways to get involved. You can give money, volunteer, and provide services based on your training and skills that you have to offer. There are so many ways to help. Offering dance classes, for example, helps more than you might think. Having creative outlets and community events are very valuable. You just have to be sure you have the proper training to work with a community that has mental health issues.

A good organization in New York is GEMS. http://www.gems-girls.org/
  • hotsungirl
    hotsungirl Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Phoenix Rescue Mission in Phoenix, AZ It does so much for so many.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    Google local charities (I did and see a handful of food banks in your area) and give them a call. Find out about volunteering and what kind of donations they need/prefer.
  • pita7317
    pita7317 Posts: 1,437 Member
    Options
    I like this idea. But in a small town ? not aware of homeless people might stay.
    Donate at Christmas to Salvation Army but just that I can"t donate to one certain family, which I would like to do.
    With their needs/wants.
    Just give the basic...canned goods, pasta, cereal.
    Would sure like to donate something more special than those things.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    You can also donate to domestic violence shelters. They need all kinds of stuff for the adults, babies, and children.

If there somehow is not something in your town, you can check the closest city.
  • tinkbaby101
    tinkbaby101 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I like this idea. But in a small town ? not aware of homeless people might stay.
    Donate at Christmas to Salvation Army but just that I can"t donate to one certain family, which I would like to do.
    With their needs/wants.

Ask the local Salvation Army where they convene. Or the fire department, ambulance team, or police department. You can also ask local schools to help you "adopt a family" during holidays, if they're willing to give out the information, or deliver items to the family.
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    Research for a local food bank, they provide food to people with no questions asked. Many churches have one, or donate to "Catholic Charities" if you are so inclined. They do a lot in the New York area.
  • Nessie112
    Nessie112 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I would go with the red cross or smaller charities/shelters. The women's shelter is another great one. In Vancouver ( Canada) there's a place called Youth Co that deals with homeless youth and people with diseases that can be transmitted through sex or needle sharing which is kind of cool :) I also don't really agree with the Salvation Army. :x
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    Options
    With their needs/wants.

You have to do some research. As I said, when I google your city and "food bank" or "homeless shelter" several local charities pop up. They all have phone numbers that you can call. I can see that your heart is in the right place and I am in now way trying to discourage your generosity, but I have worked in non-profit development for a number of years, finding a local charity and asking their specific needs is the absolute best way to help.

As to helping a specific family, in the area that I live, places like Walmart usually allow local organization do an angel tree, where low income children or elderly have their specific wants/needs on a paper angel with instructions with where to take purchases.
  • bregalad5
    bregalad5 Posts: 3,965 Member
    Options
    This isn't a charity, but I came across this a few weeks ago. This couple makes backpacks for the It's about making backpacks for the homeless with various things they can use:
    http://www.upworthy.com/ive-often-wondered-how-i-can-personally-help-homeless-people-i-just-found-a-great-idea
  • midnightjogger
    midnightjogger Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I worked at a non-profit Agency called Baldwin Center as a Clothing Director for 17 years. It gives away clothing and houseware, and personal hygiene. We also help fire victims and have a soup kitchen, AA meetings, and a homeless prevention program. It's located in Pontiac, MI if your interested. Check us out! Everything is absolutely free of charge.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    Options
    This charity was mentioned on my wall, it's about 5 hours away from you, but it feeds needy children and helps families find permanent housing: http://www.thecaterinasclub.org/