High Weights VS High Reps

Options
Caper88
Caper88 Posts: 418 Member
I'm just wondering is it better to do high weights + low reps or low weights + high reps? I'm wondering particularly when it comes to abs. My over all goal is to lose fat, build muscle endurance and have muscle definition not necessarily bruit force or big muscles that are weak if that makes any sense.

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options
    Low weight high reps builds muscle endurance. Almost improbable to build muscle on a calorie deficit. Muscle definition comes from low body fat and that's attained by calorie deficit.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • hilts1969
    hilts1969 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I'm just wondering is it better to do high weights + low reps or low weights + high reps? I'm wondering particularly when it comes to abs. My over all goal is to lose fat, build muscle endurance and have muscle definition not necessarily bruit force or big muscles that are weak if that makes any sense.

Don't worry about abs at your stage you won't see them anyhow, my goals were similar to yours, i do push pull days based on 3x10 but mix it up a bit, pull ups and dips made the biggest difference to me wish i had started them earlier

gym mon tues thurs fri

push

bench press
    flys
    dips
    shoulder press

pull

lat pulldown
    rows
    pull ups
    bicep curls

alternate days

leg press on all four days(cant do squats or deadlifts)

throw in cardio as well. nice and simple, works well so far
  • Galatea_Stone
    Galatea_Stone Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    1. Big muscles are rarely weak;
    2. Brut force does not necessarily equate to size;
    3. Abs are made in the kitchen.
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    this... a calorie deficit is where you will eventually see definition

lifting weights is a great idea...there are many programs out there, and you will retain more muscle as you lose if you lift than if you do not.
    I personally dont work abs that much as working with heavier free weights(squats, dead lifts, bench, OHP, Rows) tends to engage the core as well.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    this... a calorie deficit is where you will eventually see definition

lifting weights is a great idea...there are many programs out there, and you will retain more muscle as you lose if you lift than if you do not.
    I personally dont work abs that much as working with heavier free weights(squats, dead lifts, bench, OHP, Rows) tends to engage the core as well.

this.... all this stuff is spot on.

not sure where the impressions big muscles are weak comes from.. or that you can't be strong unless you're a huge monster - but I would do yourself a favor and banish those ideas from your head!!!