You fancy, huh.

Options

Replies

• ckish
    ckish Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    I love to put fresh basil leaves on my wafer thin 6 calorie crackers and laughing cow cheese. It's unbelievable how good it is. Regardless of what I am eating I take the time to plate it really well. I even have some nice specialty plates I picked up super cheap at the thrift store. So even if I'm just having a sliced apple I fan it out on an exquisite dessert plate and drizzle it lightly with caramel or all place assorted sliced vegetables on a chilled salad plate and use a tiny lotus bowl for my mango citrus dressing. Even at the office a keep a complete place setting of platinum trimmed china, charger, place mat, water goblet, silverware, and a cloth napkin. I may heat something up in the microwave using the container I brought it in but I won't just eat it with a plastic fork out of a storage container. Taking the time to arrange everything I eat as if I were at a 5-star restaurant makes my servings seem more satisfying and filling. Even salads are more inviting on my chilled glass plate that looks like a bushy tree. My tiny snack placed on the shell shaped appetizer plate looks amazing too. Pairing it with a large water goblet filled with fruit infused water makes me feel as if I'm at a relaxing brunch with dear friends.
  • ann2767
    ann2767 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    bump
  • prism1968
    prism1968 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I was just looking for things like this (ways to make the ordinary better), and am going to Publix right now to get some dang cool whip and cinnamon grahams! Great topic!

p.s. I found this earlier today, it is 88 snacks under 100 calories, but what I liked about it was most of them are REAL foods (cheeses, etc.): http://greatist.com/health/88-unexpected-snacks-under-100-calories
  • jackson7478
    jackson7478 Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    Great ideas.
  • dunnodunno
    dunnodunno Posts: 2,290 Member
    Options
    I put cinnamon in the snack pack (to be fair I did not like it without cinnamon), and the cinnamon did not magically turn it into cinnabon frosting (not even remotely close).

I tried (from another thread) putting sugar free jello into yogurt. Nope...gross for me. I guess I can use the rest to make some jello. Not gonna experiment with this stuff anymore. I'm not fancy this way. I'll be fancy in other ways.

I tried the Cookie Dough yogurt recipe before & it tasted nothing like cookie dough. Sure it tasted good, but just not the same.
  • prism1968
    Options
    I'm eating that RIGHT this second (the cookie dough thing)... I added chocolate chips and it is pretty good :)
  • prism1968
    Options
    Ok, got the caramel pudding snack pack (60 calories) and crushed some Maldon salt flakes on top... now THAT's good!
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    Options
    I love to put fresh basil leaves on my wafer thin 6 calorie crackers and laughing cow cheese. It's unbelievable how good it is. Regardless of what I am eating I take the time to plate it really well. I even have some nice specialty plates I picked up super cheap at the thrift store. So even if I'm just having a sliced apple I fan it out on an exquisite dessert plate and drizzle it lightly with caramel or all place assorted sliced vegetables on a chilled salad plate and use a tiny lotus bowl for my mango citrus dressing. Even at the office a keep a complete place setting of platinum trimmed china, charger, place mat, water goblet, silverware, and a cloth napkin. I may heat something up in the microwave using the container I brought it in but I won't just eat it with a plastic fork out of a storage container. Taking the time to arrange everything I eat as if I were at a 5-star restaurant makes my servings seem more satisfying and filling. Even salads are more inviting on my chilled glass plate that looks like a bushy tree. My tiny snack placed on the shell shaped appetizer plate looks amazing too. Pairing it with a large water goblet filled with fruit infused water makes me feel as if I'm at a relaxing brunch with dear friends.

That's a great idea. I've been slowly collecting some great dishes for a purpose similar to this. For example, I now have an amazing blue stoneware bowl specifically for very large salads. I'm sure it's meant to be a small serving bowl, but it's now my salad bowl.
  • xiamjackie
    xiamjackie Posts: 611 Member
    Options

That is amazing! Kudos to you for doing all of that! I am not a fancy person in any way and wouldn't even know what a nice place setting looked like if it hit me in the face, so I absolutely don't mind eating out of tupperware (I actually love tupperware and buying new tupperware) or off our 10 year old chipped plates at home, but I think it's awesome that you take so much time to dedicate to placing your food before you eat.
  • dunnodunno
    dunnodunno Posts: 2,290 Member
    Options
    I tried a recipe I saw on Pinterest & used Funfetti Cake Mix (43 grams), some Lite Cool Whip, and some Vanilla Yogurt & made a dip. It actually didn't taste bad. I made more of a single serving size, but you can also make a batch & figure out the calories for each serving.
  • RaJoCo
    RaJoCo Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I incorporate some kind of nut to my fruit snacks, e.g. walnuts on homemade dairy free avocado ice cream, peanut butter on bananas, walnuts on kiwi/apple/mango fruit salad...it adds to the texture and makes the meal more filling....

10349071_10202490736522884_9091243297977070691_n.jpg
    10487557_10202705141082864_4788509398283662487_n.jpg
    10295707_10202480951638268_6155178345885450728_n.jpg
  • s_irwin80
    s_irwin80 Posts: 2
    Options
    For the cool whip/ graham cracker ice cream sandwich, add in some canned pumpkin, along with cinnamon and/or nutmeg. Tastes like pumpkin pie. I make a bunch at once and freeze them in waxed paper so that I don't waste the canned pumpkin.
  • mygnsac
    mygnsac Posts: 13,413 Member
    Options
    A few...

I like to add a little cinnamon, ginger or turmeric to my green/fruit smoothies. I also adding cinnamon and walnuts to my oatmeal. I need to think of other ways to add cinnamon into foods. It's so good for you.

I like adding a tbs of raisins and raw pepita seeds to savory things like soups and beans. I like that hint of sweet from the raisins and the crunch from the seeds.

I like to roast veggies, like sweet potatoes, brussel sprouts, broccoli, carrots, etc., and then keep them in the fridge. Throughout the week I'll add them to sandwiches, soups, salads or beans for the added flavor, or I'll just snack on them as is.

I like adding almonds or pecans to my smoothies. Gives it a slight nutty taste, and adds some good fats to the drink.

I like using tzatziki or baba ganoush for a raw veggie dip or sandwich condiment.

I was recently surprised to find I like apple slices with peanut butter. I love celery and peanut butter, but never thought about apples.
  • 78105234a
    78105234a Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Michellekutz1
    Options
    I put cool whip light between cinnamon graham crackers, wrap in plastic wrap, freeze and pretend its ice cream sandwich.. Drool

Wow does that sound good and guess what graham crackers are buy one get one this week at my store! Score, lol
  • Michellekutz1
    Options
    For the cool whip/ graham cracker ice cream sandwich, add in some canned pumpkin, along with cinnamon and/or nutmeg. Tastes like pumpkin pie. I make a bunch at once and freeze them in waxed paper so that I don't waste the canned pumpkin.

Bump for this drooling over here!
  • FrancescaWebb
    FrancescaWebb Posts: 211 Member
    Options

where does one find 6 calorie crackers???
  • rageginger
    rageginger Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    following because you guys are geniuses.
  • ljoynes
    ljoynes Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I do the same with my protein shake: add couple teaspoons vanilla SF pudding mix, a tablespoon Butter Buds, a scoop vanilla protein, teaspoon vanilla, cup soy milk & cinnamon. Just like a cinnamon roll.
  • ljoynes
    ljoynes Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Aren't those good? Love em!