HR question...this is a new on on me!

slieber
slieber Posts: 765 Member
edited September 22 in Fitness and Exercise
I recently had to change the battery in my Polar F6. For a few days afterward, the thing went a bit haywire. It appears to have settled down now back into its normal modes (after much fiddling and consulting the guide by me).

Now I notice that there is a steamy haze to the screen. I haven't looked since taking it off, but it shows up as soon as I put the watch on. Does this mean that something's not sealed? I took it to a jeweler to have the new battery put in.

If it's not sealed, does that mean I can't use it in the pool (not that I go much TO the pool with my HRM, but sometimes I like to)?

Is this thing perhaps on its last "virtual legs"? I am waiting for the chest belt to die and then plan to buy an F11, where the batteries in each component can be changed, rather than send back the chest strap of the F6.

Thanks for any experiences on this. Just wondering how long this poor thing has to live... Mind, it's been slightly more than 2 years and I've only just put a new battery in this week!

Replies

• PLUMSGRL
    PLUMSGRL Posts: 1,134 Member
    yup- bad seal, moisture inside just like a watch...take it back to the jewler...
  • slieber
    I didn't take it back to the jeweler but I DID take it apart myself, then put it back together. Less moisture in the way I did it, but still some.

Went to WalMart and bought some silicon (waterproof). I've waited till the moisture disappeared then again took off the back plate, spread some silicon around the edge of the plate and then replaced it, screwing the screws in tightly. We'll see if that helps.

I was planning to buy an F11 when this unit's chest strap died, so we'll see what happens once I start wearing it again - hopefully tomorrow.

What irks me is that with the weird behavior of the watch (e.g. the moisture, et. al.), it counted my calories for one exercise session, then lost all the data when the buttons locked themselves. Grrr!!!
  • slieber
    I highly recommend the silicon method. It's worked like a charm!! I did 900 cals in exercise yesterday and not a drop of moisture was seen, or any of the electronic issues either. :-)
This discussion has been closed.