What beginner's exercise equipment should I look into?

Options
All my exercise before this has been walking or cycling, but I want to start doing some different workouts at home as well as start swimming at the local pool. I live in a small apartment so I can't have a treadmill, elliptical trainer, or even stationary bike - no room! I'm thinking about getting some dumbbells and of course a good pair of runners - is there anything else I should consider? What about a step or medicine balls? And what should I look for in a set of dumbbells? I've never used them! Thanks for any advice!

Replies

• SarahBC
    SarahBC Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    A skipping rope is a great piece of equipment ... and as for dumbbells get about 4kgs heavy enough to do chest press and not to bad for bicep curls and standing row.. unless your willing to buy a few different sizes..

Even look into getting a swiss ball they are great for all different excises google it...
  • xxthursday09xx
    xxthursday09xx Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I have a SUPER small apartment. I always dance around (I know it sounds dumb, but you put some good tunes on and start shakin!). Dumbbells are dumbbells. Maybe get the rubber coated ones. Get a set of 5 lbs, 12 or 15 lbs, and 20 lbs. Then if you find those are too light you can get a higher weight. Then you can do squats, sit ups, arm workouts ab workouts *look online, you can totally find different ways to work out with limited space*. You can use the same dumbbells for most of the exercises that require medicine balls. The huge blow up balls that you sit on are GREAT for stomach workouts, and combined with the dumbbells that adds some weight :) Hope that helps!
  • MissingMinnesota
    MissingMinnesota Posts: 7,486 Member
    Options
    I suggest getting some resistance bands and an exercise ball. They are great for small areas and you can do multiple exercises with both.
  • themommie
    themommie Posts: 5,023 Member
    Options
    I just got some resistance bands they are great especially to use in a limited space. I have also seen those pedals, You can sit on your couch and pedal while watching television , you can also put them on the coffee table and pedal with your arms. I hope this helps
  • tjradd73
    tjradd73 Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    workout dvds (tae bo, turbo jam), resistance bands, yoga mat, arm weights, wii...

as far as the dumbbells go.. if you havent done alot of arm work start small like 5-8lbs golds gym makes a good brand or the rubber ones are good too :)

good luck!
  • TK266
    TK266 Posts: 3,689 Member
    Options
    the medicine balls in the 6, 8, 10, 12 lbs range are good. you can do a varity of excerises with them. Dumbell should be light and helps to have the hand holders for startign out. Reistance bands are also good. what ever you choose, look up excersies you can do with it online. you will be amamzed what great things you cna find to do.

as usual, my advice is worth what you paid for it :tongue:
  • schnarfo
    schnarfo Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    perhaps even a kettlebell. they have work out dvds that go with them but they can be pricey. Dumbells i would start of with a 3lb, 4lb and a 5lb if youve not used them before. Perhaps look at getting an abroller and a mat
  • PLUMSGRL
    PLUMSGRL Posts: 1,134 Member
    Options
    All my exercise before this has been walking or cycling, but I want to start doing some different workouts at home as well as start swimming at the local pool. I live in a small apartment so I can't have a treadmill, elliptical trainer, or even stationary bike - no room! I'm thinking about getting some dumbbells and of course a good pair of runners - is there anything else I should consider? What about a step or medicine balls? And what should I look for in a set of dumbbells? I've never used them! Thanks for any advice!
    JUst started kettle bell work out I found at Wal Mart $14 included the 5# bell and DVD by Danskin with Gin Miller pretty good burns 15-20 cals per minute 3 programs6-10 min each total time 25 minutes ... most people see changes within 1-2 weeks!
  • 4lafz
    4lafz Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    Get a Wii and Wii Fit Plus and/or EA Sports Active for Wii. Both have tons of different exercises so you won't be bored. The bonus is you can instantly stream movies from Netflix ($9 a month for one DVD at a time also) AND play other games - or Just Dance (also a Wii game). Have FUN!
  • AggieCass09
    AggieCass09 Posts: 1,867 Member
    Options
    I definitely recommend getting the P90X work out DVDs, they are indented for areas where space is limited. You will get AWESOME results and only need a pull up bar and some dumbbells! I'm doing P90X for my strength training while concurrently training for 2 half marathons.
  • tim_fitbuilt4life
    tim_fitbuilt4life Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    You can get the same benefits from jumping jacks or a jump rope that you can get from a treadmill. I will also consider a pull up bar and some rubber resistance tubes.