What to make with.....

Options
13»

Replies

• glassgallm
    glassgallm Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Check out http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1071601-does-anyone-want-another-cheesecake-recipe-87-calories...many variations, keep scrolling through all the posts to find recipes with lower calorie counts using no cheese, but just Greek yogurt, some samples below:

chocolate cheesecake minis:

use 4 oz of 1/3 less calorie cream cheese
    4 oz. plain non fat greek yogurt
    1/3 cocoa
    1/2 teasp. vanilla extract
    1/4 cup sugar
    1 egg
    12 chocolate or vanilla wafers

makes 12 at 75 calories each without any extra topping. OR:

Cheesecake minis 53 calories each:

8 oz nonfat plain Greek yogurt (I weighed it out on my food scale)
    1/4 cup sugar
    1 egg
    1 teasp vanilla extract
    12 vanilla wafers.

Preheat oven to 325

Place a cupcake paper in each of 12 spaces of a muffin tin(s)

Place a vanilla wafer in the bottom of each cupcake paper.

In a medium bowl combine the yogurt, sugar, egg and vanilla extract. Whisk until smooth. Spoon about 2 tablespoons batter on top of each vanilla wafer. Bake 25 min. cool and refrigerate.
  • mygnsac
    mygnsac Posts: 13,413 Member
    Options
    Bulgur. Anyone?!?

Bulgar Pilaf

- 1.5 cups chicken or vegetable stock
    - 2 fresh carrots, diced
    - 3 fresh medium-sized mushrooms, sliced
    - 2 tablespoons fresh onion, finely chopped
    - 1/2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
    - 1/2 cup frozen corn
    - 1/4 cup frozen peas
    - 1/4 cup Bulgur

Bring stock to boil and add bulgar. Reduce heat to simmer & let simmer for 12-15 mins. Meanwhile, in a small fry pan, sautee carrots, mushrooms, onions, corn & peas in olive oil till tender -- about 5-7 mins. Add sauteed veggies to the bulgar and combine thoroughly. Serves 4
  • PaulaKac
    PaulaKac Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I use them in Chili, Brown Rice and Black Beans
  • mzbek24
    mzbek24 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Okay folks, 3 things:

Pearled Barley

Bulgur

Sprouted Quinoa

. . . . .and . . . . . go . . . .

Are you a meat eater? 'cause I've got a great pearl barley paella with beef recipe! I suppose it could be adapted to suit veg though.
  • Kate7294
    Kate7294 Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    I've several tubes of apple juice in the freezer. Any suggestions?
  • mygnsac
    mygnsac Posts: 13,413 Member
    Options
    Okay folks, 3 things:

Pearled Barley

Bulgur

Sprouted Quinoa

So far, this is all of done with sprouted quinoa...

Sprouted Quinoa Pizza Crust (of course not the same as the real stuff, but tasty nonetheless).

- 1.5 cups sprouted quinoa
    - 1 tsp. oregano
    - 3/4 tsp. salt
    - 1/2 tsp garlic powder
    - 1/4 cup, plus 2 tbs. water
    - 1 tbs melted cooking oil (ghee, coconut oil, etc.)

Preheat oven to 425 degrees.

Rinse and drain the sprouted quinoa. Put quinoa into a blender. Add 1/4 cup water, oregano, salt and garlic powder. Bend until it's smooth. Should have the conosistency of pancake batter. If its still too thick, add another 1-2 tbs. of water until it's right. The batter should be pourable without being too runny.

Oil a baking sheet or pizza pan (never a pizza stone!). Pour the batter onto the pan. Put in oven for about 15 minutes or until the top of the crust looks cooked. Take out of oven, flip the crust over, and add toppings (sauce, cheese, veggies, whatever you like). Return to oven for another 15-20 minutes.

I made this once as a pizza, and once just for the crust (yummy with hummus or baba ghanoush).
  • twinkletwinklemeganstar
    Options
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    Bulgur. Anyone?!?

Tabbouleh using bulgur wheat - just check on allrecipes.com search. Yummy if you use wheat... but it takes a lot of fresh parsley or other preferred herb.
    Also makes a great hot cereal like oatmeal in the morning.
  • twinkletwinklemeganstar
    Options
    Yellow squash. My husband grew 5 of those.

My mother-in-laws recipe for Squash casserole is delish and only about 218 calories a serving.

Cut up 3 cups squash
    Slice up one medium onion
    Steam above
    Spray casserole dish/pan
    Sprinkle with half of stuffing mix ( Calls four 4 oz of Pepperidge farm I used a foodlion stuffing 6 oz package lower cals)
    Mix sour cream and cream of chicken soup ( I used fat free sour cream and found a low sodium 98% fat free soup foodlion brand)
    Mix in squash and onions pour in dish
    Add leftover stuffing mix on top
    Then add 1 stick melted butter ( I used unsalted)

Bake at 350 for 1 hour.

I'm so excited!!!! This is making me drool, and we have so many squash right now they are coming out of our ears!
  • afaruga
    afaruga Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I LOVE chocolate covered Katie's blog. On my to do list of hers is the chocolate chip cookie dough dip, but my favorite of hers right now is the pumpkin oatmeal no bake cookies. So easy and delicious, especially after a day in the refrigerator.
  • amwoidyla
    amwoidyla Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Okay folks, 3 things:

Pearled Barley

Bulgur

Sprouted Quinoa

For the barley or bulgur http://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/lemony-barley-salad-with-kale-pesto

We made it a few weeks ago and I'm obsessed.
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    Options
    Okay folks, 3 things:

Pearled Barley

Bulgur

Sprouted Quinoa

Are you a meat eater? 'cause I've got a great pearl barley paella with beef recipe! I suppose it could be adapted to suit veg though.

yes I'm a meat eater. what do you have?
  • mzbek24
    mzbek24 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Soz, was sleeping. I'm in Australia :P

This is the Paella I made.
    http://www.beefandlamb.com.au/Recipes/All_recipes/Detail/Spanish-beef-and-pearl-barley-paella
  • Kate7294
    Kate7294 Posts: 783 Member
    Options

My mother-in-laws recipe for Squash casserole is delish and only about 218 calories a serving.

Cut up 3 cups squash
    Slice up one medium onion
    Steam above
    Spray casserole dish/pan
    Sprinkle with half of stuffing mix ( Calls four 4 oz of Pepperidge farm I used a foodlion stuffing 6 oz package lower cals)
    Mix sour cream and cream of chicken soup ( I used fat free sour cream and found a low sodium 98% fat free soup foodlion brand)
    Mix in squash and onions pour in dish
    Add leftover stuffing mix on top
    Then add 1 stick melted butter ( I used unsalted)

Bake at 350 for 1 hour.

I'm so excited!!!! This is making me drool, and we have so many squash right now they are coming out of our ears!

So glad. :) I'm getting a little tired of it now. LOL. Too many squash. Made it three weeks in a row.
  • lmarshel
    lmarshel Posts: 674 Member
    Options

You can slice in rounds, sprinkle with your favorite seasoning (I like a Rosemary blend) and steam it or sautee in a skillet with a little olive oil. Delicious by itself or with some sliced mushrooms thrown in.
  • lmarshel
    lmarshel Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    Jasmine rice

I tried a great recipe from Cooking Light (LOVE that magazine!) for Coconut Ginger rice:

http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/coconut-ginger-rice-50400000129477/

It was really good, and I'm making it again tonight with some sesame ginger pork loin.