What should I do to adjust?

Options
2»

Replies

• KatJ_NZ
    KatJ_NZ Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I hope you get time to find some solutions that work for you :smile:

Good on you for asking for help, now you know where to come if you want to ask anything else! :flowerforyou:
  • TenebraeBloodwake
    TenebraeBloodwake Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    That I do. George Foreman grill....I THINK we have one of those in the pantry on a top shelf some where...going to have to remember to dig for it when I'm home.
  • chunt87
    chunt87 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    since you said you arent that good with cooking and you want to do some stuff thats healthy and quick, can you hard boil eggs?

If you can you can make a filling salad (thats right, filling)
    some spinach
    some nuts
    2 hard boiled eggs
    some dressing

Also, I make whats called some not so evil deviled eggs. Make deviled eggs without mayo, or use low fat mayo, or an avocado instead

I also recently started eating quest bars too in addition to these methods to get me by at work.

you could try some nonfat greek yogurt, if you use 1 tbsp of honey it takes out the tartness.
  • 12skipafew99100
    12skipafew99100 Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    Rotissery chicken from the super market can be used for a few days.
  • 37lbs_to_go
    37lbs_to_go Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    If you have a Costco membership they sell their rotisserie chickens broken down. Lightly shredded breasts or legs/thighs. It very moist and tasty so I'm guessing it probably has a lot of salt, if that's a concern. When I buy it I break it down within a few days into family sized serving (single size in your case) and freeze it. I use a food saver but double bagging or saran wrapping would work to. Just thaw in the fridge overnight or defrost in the microwave.

Have you tried sugar snap peas? You eat them raw or with some dressing. They are crunchy and great for snacking. You didn't mention these in your no no list. So hopefully they would work out.

I know you don't cook but enchiladas are easy to make, especially with the Costco chicken. and are a great freezer meal.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    And no, don't eat 7 day old chicken. You want to be eating cooked chicken within 2 or 3 days.
    Really? I cook a big meal and I've eaten chicken, fish, beef, anything after seven days, and nothing's ever happened to me. If it's refrigerated it's fine.
  • TenebraeBloodwake
    TenebraeBloodwake Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I have been doing hard boiled eggs as a snack but deviled eggs...I LOVE deviled eggs though I always mess them up. Going to have to give those another try. Salads have been tried in all shapes and sizes but I can't make myself eat them. A few people have mentioned the ol rotisserie chicken route so I have to give that a look. Thought about a Costco membership a while back but I couldn't see using it enough to justify the cost. Perhaps I should take another look. As for my "no-no" list I think the problems came when I over ate those things. Like I'd have a five pound bag of carrots or apples and I'd just mindlessly eat them at my desk until they were gone...If I just break them down into zip lock bags and take only a few servings that would probably solve that.
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    I love my Foreman grill! It's great for chicken breasts. I also love the steam-in-bag veggies. I would stock up on those.
    Another really easy meal is buy a bag of frozen tilapia filets. While ideally you'd thaw them first, you *can* just put some in a baking dish, drizzle a little olive oil (or dab butter) over them and some lemon juice and bake for 20 mins. Steam some veggies to go with them and you're all set! You can also dump a bag of frozen veggies (like the California blend) in the dish with the tilapia and bake it all together.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    Haha

I'm with you on salads. I can't consistently do them at home but I'll buy them from fast food restaurants and from work. They do all the hard work to keep the veg fresh and to maintain a variety. I get bored of the stuff I buy at the grocery store myself but can take whatever I fancy if someone else is making this. Guess anyone could say this about any food and it'll be just another excuse! Oh well!
  • laurie04427
    laurie04427 Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    As for quick and easy: yogurts, unsalted/lightly salted packs of nuts, apples cut up with peanut butter, veggies with hummus, healthy cereal. If you have time on the weekend, make a big batch of those boiled eggs. Frozen veggies.
  • 37lbs_to_go
    37lbs_to_go Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Costco is a dangerous place if you like convenience food. I only go there when I'm in a frugal mood on a full stomach.

If you like deviled eggs have you tried making an egg salad sandwich (same ingredients just chopped up)? There are a few changes you could make to really reduce calories. Using low cal mayo or plain greek yogurt instead of regular mayo. Leaving out some egg yolks.
  • chunt87
    chunt87 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I have been doing hard boiled eggs as a snack but deviled eggs...I LOVE deviled eggs though I always mess them up. Going to have to give those another try. Salads have been tried in all shapes and sizes but I can't make myself eat them. A few people have mentioned the ol rotisserie chicken route so I have to give that a look. Thought about a Costco membership a while back but I couldn't see using it enough to justify the cost. Perhaps I should take another look. As for my "no-no" list I think the problems came when I over ate those things. Like I'd have a five pound bag of carrots or apples and I'd just mindlessly eat them at my desk until they were gone...If I just break them down into zip lock bags and take only a few servings that would probably solve that.

the whole bag will do that to anyone :) Another good Idea I just thought of is the crock pot! If you have not used one I highly suggest it. I will throw in 2lbs of pork tenderloin and some low sugar pulled pork mix and have a healthy alternative to pulled pork for a week at a clip. You can also make super easy stuff with one. I make a healthy steak chili too that I can have last for about 2 weeks if I freeze half the batch. If you use stew meat it comes out so much better than ground beef in chili.

If you ever do have an hour or so you can take 3 chicken breasts, a thing of corn and bean chili (called cowboy caviar at trader joe's) and some cheddar cheese and have 6 servings of spicy chicken. I put it all in 1 pan with a chopped up sweet potato. 400 degrees for under an hour and dinner + lunch and maybe dinner for a day or two is done.

Costco is great for their meat department. If I get the chance to go there I go ahead and buy a big cut of meat and re-portion it out.