Strength training to tone up

Options
I want to start strength training to tone up while I lose weight. I have Spinal Stenosis and arthritis in my spine and hip so I'm limited in how long I can stand and moving around. I currently walk for excercise.

I don't know if I should get some dumbbells or resistance bands? I need some suggestions. Any advice will be appreciated.

Thanks.

Replies

• fannyfrost
    fannyfrost Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    strength training definitely helps arthritis, by building stronger muscles it helps stabilize the joints. My suggestion though with spinal stenosis, talk to your Dr first or a sports medicine doctor to make sure you are doing the right exercises. If you have back problems and want to strength train you really do need to know form.

FYI, you can do strength training with weights or bands in a chair it won't matter. I would lean toward weights for upper body because it is easier to have good posture.

Another suggestion for you would be to invest in a session with a trainer to make sure your form is good. Or even see a physical therapist to get exercises that will help strengthen muscles without hurting yourself.
  • CrescentCityGirl
    CrescentCityGirl Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I enjoy the exercises included in the strong lift 5x5 program. You can look up online and there is also a group on this site. I have issues too, so instead of lifting heavy weights 5 times, I use much lighter weights for 20 reps. There are 3 exercises for each day you train. I also use the stronglift 5 x 5 app which keeps track of your workouts.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    okay so there is a difference between strength training and resistence training.

strength training requires a progressive load lifting program where you are lifting heavy...using barbells and compound movements.

If the weight is light enough you can do more than 5-8 reps you are not strength training.

Now saying that there is nothing wrong with resistence training and it is a great workout and helps retain muscle.

google convict conditioning or go to fitnessblender.com for ideas.