Really wanting to make a change

Options
Hi everyone! I'm Kristin from Indiana. I have three children. I really want to make a change. I have become a person I don't recognize in the mirror anymore. I could almost make two of me. Its so discouraging because I have tried to make changes many times and I just cant stick with it. It s hard cooking for a family and not eating the food yourself and of course the hardest months of the year are coming up. I work with wonderful people who are unfortunately wonderful cooks. I don't feel as good as I used to and I really want to be different and to be more active for my kids.

Replies

• rundgrenfan
    Options
    You could have written that whole paragraph about me! Don't worry, you can still cook for your family -- believe me, they will tease you about measuring your food for a while but they'll get over it. I eat everything they eat, just less. And eventually, you will want less so it's all good.

Good luck!
  • misharyan
    Options
    I'm new here too, and feel very much the same way. I just turned 45, and I've gained weight over the past few years. I'm a teacher and don't get enough exercise. I'm here to make a change in my life and get my energy and health back. It's good to know there are other women here with similar goals.
  • Amarillo_NDN
    Amarillo_NDN Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    wormy_waving.gif
    Welcome to MFP, it is a great tool to help you.
  • poodlepaws
    poodlepaws Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    It's EXTREMELY hard cooking for a family when you're trying to lose weight; I struggled with it for the last 10 years of my marriage but it really comes down to portion control...you can eat whatever you make for the family just make sure it's a controlled amount and you get your exercise in. You'll be losing weight in no time.
    OH Welcome:flowerforyou:
  • Healthyby30
    Healthyby30 Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    I agree about cooking for a family! I am slowly switching my family over to the good side! lol.. it is definitely hard! I usually end up making two dinners or at least additional sides for myself, but in the end I want them to be healthier too, sometimes it just takes more work to get them to see my point of view!

Welcome to MFP, you'll love it here!
  • shell_matt
    shell_matt Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi Kristen
    12 monhs ago I found that I almost weighed 100kilos. This was definately my turning point and I realised that I needed to do something about it. I work full-time, have 2 children and with my partner we run a business as well. Needless to say we are flat out and in the beginning I didn't know where I would find the time to exercise. I started by setting the alarm clock for 6am and walking the dog, watched what I ate and made the time to do it. I now go to the gym when I can and even do Zumba classes. I have lost 25 kilos to date with 5 to go. All you need to do is start and the rest will come. Once you get into the routine you will not turn back. Good Luck.
  • srcurran
    srcurran Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Hi - I started this year and began by cutting each meal's volume. I didn't give up the food, just the amount I was eating. Then, as I began to see progress it was easier to make healthier choices. You can do this.

The other thing I've discovered is homemade soups. That's how I get my veggies. I'm not a fan of vegetables, but if they're in soup I'm more likely to eat them. If you make the soups you can put ingredients that you like, and control the sodium, fat and calories. It seems to be helping me.

Good luck. You can do this!