Hello to all - my journey

Options
This is a cool site. I started trying to lose weight last January. My goal was to be in a normal BMI and to have all my "health" measures in the normal range by age 50. I turn 50 this coming January.

I lost 13 pounds by mid March. Then my dad died. I stalled. Didn't gain, but plateaued.

In May I lost my job. During my "shock" period I gain back 3 of the thirteen.

Then I went ahead with a long delayed major surgical procedure. That was a quick 13 pounds, but now my appetite is back to normal and I can't get back to my workouts for another 3 weeks. I started walking a little on the treadmill, but I was in pain afterward to I had to stop until I'm sure I'm cleared to do it. So my total is 23 pounds, but some may come back on until I can start my exercise again.

I've been religious about exercise for years, so I'm getting a little stir crazy.

So this site is going to be my guide. I'd like to lose 10 more pounds, but if I don't gain back much while I'm laid up I'll still be in the "normal" range for BMI (at the top of the range).

I'm happy to cheer on others and I hope you'll be there to encourage me.

Thanks

Replies

• Amarillo_NDN
    Amarillo_NDN Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    wormy_waving.gif
    Welcome to MFP, it is a great tool to help you.
  • MzMolly
    MzMolly Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Good luck with your journey! This is a great place with tons of great support. It has changed my life! Put it to good use.:flowerforyou: Good luck with your recovery.

Molly
  • queenofdisney
    Options
    Sounds like you have all the reasons anyone would need to be an emotional eater but it sounds like you're in the right direction by at least joining this site and trying to do the right thing. All I can say is keep your head up and good things will come to those who work hard.
  • ADJulie
    ADJulie Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    I can so relate to some of your journey. I gained some weight when I lost my job in 2008. I started this site in July and I have already lost 22 lbs. The people are very supportive and motivating. You will love it. Welcome.
  • ricksgurl
    Options
    Hello-I'm a newbie too. This is my first day of this program and the first REAL DIET PLAN I've ever tried...in the past year and a half I've gained over 50# from a new medication~it got to the point that I have trouble making it to the top of the stairs without breathing hard. That was the "aha moment" for me. I have since been put on a different medication but the weight remains...I have two small granddaughters that I'd like to be able to play with/babysit etc. At this point I can only handle one at a time (they are age 2 and 3 years old) I just get too exhausted...I'm hoping to lose about 27 pounds and be able to do more physical exercise. I have two of the worst cravings for a dieter and that is salt and soda...I used to drink a 2-liter of Dr. Pepper or more a day and I salt everything...I have cut down on the soda because I can't stand the taste of diet soda and was told by my rhuematologist that Aspartame is a no-no for me. I also really DO NOT like water-but I'm working on that one... I have also switched from regular salt to sea salt because I heard somewhere that it's better for you-(not sure where I heard that one) Anyone have any tips for avoiding these two cravings?? :blushing:

2684125.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter[/url