Working Out / Target Heart Rate Question....

Options
I recently got an HRM and have used it the last couple times I exercised. I've discovered that working out pre-HRM, I was going much faster and was above my target heart rate. So I've been trying to stay within my target heart rate, but I feel like I'm going so much slower now and not burning as many calories. Is it bad to work out above my target heart rate? Should I try to stay within my target heart rate range?

Replies

• Amarillo_NDN
    Amarillo_NDN Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    first off, if you are not in shape, your heart rate will be high, so don't let it get in the danger zone. The good thing is, as you work out more and get in to condition, your heart rate for the same thing will be much lower.
  • LADYSVELTE
    Options
    You lost 66lbs by walking ??
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    HRMs calculate "target heart rates" based on a general formula that is not applicable to about 35% of the population. It is quite common to have a max heart rate significantly higher than the assumed max heart rate used by the HRM to calculate your target zones.

Unless you know your true max heart rate, the best thing to do at first is to do your regular exercise routine, the same intensity/speed, etc you have been doing and just observe your heart rate response. Then start to match what you see on your HRM to your feelings of perceived exertion. Do different workouts at different intensities--after a while you will figure out your own heart rate "zones" and then you can make some adjustments.

I know you are probably thinking "isn't that what the HRM is supposed to do?". Yes and no. The biggest mistake that people make with their first HRMs is that they immediate let the HRM control them. HRMs can do a lot of things but they are not omniscient--they are passive devices that you have to manage.

Just observe for while--you will learn a lot.