I'm stuck, big time weight plateau?

Options

Replies

• prattiger65
    prattiger65 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    Eat less. You're obviously in maintenance. You need to eat less, workout more, ir with more intensity, or some combo of both. Barring any medical condition, it's an energy equation of cals in/out.

My advice is to never ever take advice from this guy. Eat less than 1200 calories and work out more? 1200 calories per day is maintenance? Unless you're 3 feet tall, 1200 calories isn't maintenance.

Actually, this is excellent advice. because barring a medical problem, if you aren't losing weight you are eating at maintenance. Could it be that the OP is actually eating more than 1200 calories? Or could it be that the OP's metabolism is slow enough that 1200 IS maintenance? My bet is eating more than 1200 and I agree she is probably eating too much.
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    Eat less. You're obviously in maintenance. You need to eat less, workout more, ir with more intensity, or some combo of both. Barring any medical condition, it's an energy equation of cals in/out.

My advice is to never ever take advice from this guy. Eat less than 1200 calories and work out more? 1200 calories per day is maintenance? Unless you're 3 feet tall, 1200 calories isn't maintenance.

Actually, this is excellent advice. because barring a medical problem, if you aren't losing weight you are eating at maintenance. Could it be that the OP is actually eating more than 1200 calories? Or could it be that the OP's metabolism is slow enough that 1200 IS maintenance? My bet is eating more than 1200 and I agree she is probably eating too much.

It's absolutely possible that the OP is eating more than she thinks she is. If she's not weighing and measuring all of her foods consistently and accurately every single day, she may be eating at maintenance. However, her maintenance is not 1200 calories unless she has a medical condition. 1200 calories is the absolute bare minimum a woman should EVER eat in a day. Period. Eating less than that is a bad idea.
  • MrsTits
    MrsTits Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    You're not eating enough.

I stuck your details in here - http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/ (5ft,3/23 yrs/139lbs) which gave you a BMR of 1447 cals per day.

I then went here - http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/harris-benedict-equation/ and as you said you work out around 4 times a week, I multiplied your 1447 cals by 1.55 which gives a total of 2242 cals per day.

That's a really basic calculation, you can go into it further with TDEE etc.

It's hard to get an exact total but to lose a pound a week (which would be recommended) you'd need to eat 3500 less than your total per week...(or 500 per day), so you'd be looking at eating around 1742kcals per day.

It does sound weird, but in the past when I've been eating really strictly and not lost anything, upping my kcals always results in a loss. You don't have very much to lose at all so it'll come off slower, but just try for a couple of weeks and see how you go.

Btw, you look fab! Like others have suggested, perhaps try some different exercise or add in weights or swimming to tone up, focus less on food and more on toning and you'll prob see results.
  • MrsTits
    Options

If one is not losing at 1200, then what do you suggest? Let's say, just for arguments sake that IF SHE EATS MORE she gains. Let's just say that's what happens so that we take that off the table. Now, what do you suggest? I actually know what I'm talking about. And, it us safe to go below 1200.

She'll only gain if she eats over her maintenance which is around 2242 kcals a day. No one suggested she should start shovelling food in, but she certainly shouldn't be starving herself either.
  • MrsTits
    Options
    I mean, I absolutely love when someone says they are not losing weight and the response is "you're not eating enough".

Well, if the cap fits... :p
  • rodduz
    rodduz Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    The missus is right, she's definitely in a deficit form her BMR and TDEE calculations.
  • thatgirlkellib
    thatgirlkellib Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I would suggest add a ton of water at least 2 Liters, as a litte lemon if it helps get it down. Also do some HIIT workouts. your body might have learned your routine and is maintaning. Switch it up and SWEAT!
  • segovm
    segovm Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    This might be obvious but I was a vegan when I was in my twenties and was sort of in the same boat as you... I was skinny (bobblehead skinny) but still had a little chub around my midsection.

For me, the answer wasn't to lose more weight but to eat a bit more protein and add a little muscle.

Everybody is different but if your protein numbers are low and you don't do much resistance training it might be something you think about as you sort of revamp things and try new stuff.

Anyway, good luck to you!
  • 1saturn
    1saturn Posts: 95 Member
    Options

I stuck your details in here - http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/ (5ft,3/23 yrs/139lbs) which gave you a BMR of 1447 cals per day.

I then went here - http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/harris-benedict-equation/ and as you said you work out around 4 times a week, I multiplied your 1447 cals by 1.55 which gives a total of 2242 cals per day.

It's hard to get an exact total but to lose a pound a week (which would be recommended) you'd need to eat 3500 less than your total per week...(or 500 per day), so you'd be looking at eating around 1742kcals per day.

It does sound weird, but in the past when I've been eating really strictly and not lost anything, upping my kcals always results in a loss. You don't have very much to lose at all so it'll come off slower, but just try for a couple of weeks and see how you go.

Btw, you look fab! Like others have suggested, perhaps try some different exercise or add in weights or swimming to tone up, focus less on food and more on toning and you'll prob see results.

Thankyou! I'm not sure why everyone is so caught up on the eating side of things. I don't eat a lot and I know I am very good at keeping ontop of my diet. It's not perfect but even as a self-critical person I wouldn't say I am overeating. That doesn't really make sense when I break down my diet. I like to aim for something low like 1200 so even if I eat something I shouldn't I'll only be looking at 1400. Although that hasn't happened yet. It seems to be stubborn fat so maybe I should be more intense about my exercise. As you can probably tell I can't shift weight in my thigh area. I can improve my waistline, face and tummy but thighs don't change at all. I feel like that's what boosts my weight so maybe I should focus on exercising more and worry a little less about calories.
  • 1saturn
    Options
    I would suggest add a ton of water at least 2 Liters, as a litte lemon if it helps get it down. Also do some HIIT workouts. your body might have learned your routine and is maintaning. Switch it up and SWEAT!

Yes. Thanks for the suggestion. I feel like I am dehydrated more than anything. I looked up that workout and it looks perfect. I need more intensity. I want to get rid of my fat thighs and exercise will probably be very effective for this. I've heard about this type of exercise and wanted to try it. Also, should I be toning before, after or during my last ten pounds weight loss?
  • 1saturn
    Options
    This might be obvious but I was a vegan when I was in my twenties and was sort of in the same boat as you... I was skinny (bobblehead skinny) but still had a little chub around my midsection.

For me, the answer wasn't to lose more weight but to eat a bit more protein and add a little muscle.

Everybody is different but if your protein numbers are low and you don't do much resistance training it might be something you think about as you sort of revamp things and try new stuff.

Anyway, good luck to you!

I think we all have our problem areas. Accepting body shape sucks. I mean, I want a toned and slim body but I really will have to work hard to get anything close to this. My main issues are my thighs and legs. Plus lovehandles :/. This is the worst part about getting fit it makes you may more attention to what isn't right.
    I will go and buy more foods with protein because I don't get enough. I was thinking of taking vitamin supplements but I don't know if they are actually effective..
  • MrsTits
    Options

Thankyou! I'm not sure why everyone is so caught up on the eating side of things. I don't eat a lot and I know I am very good at keeping ontop of my diet. It's not perfect but even as a self-critical person I wouldn't say I am overeating. That doesn't really make sense when I break down my diet. I like to aim for something low like 1200 so even if I eat something I shouldn't I'll only be looking at 1400. Although that hasn't happened yet. It seems to be stubborn fat so maybe I should be more intense about my exercise. As you can probably tell I can't shift weight in my thigh area. I can improve my waistline, face and tummy but thighs don't change at all. I feel like that's what boosts my weight so maybe I should focus on exercising more and worry a little less about calories.

I've found also, if you eat the same amount of kcals and do the same exercise your body can kinda get used to it, so bumping up your cals a few times a week (even by 200-300) and changing up your exercise routine can help.

If you're wanting to work on your legs, swimming, exercise bike and all other "leg related" exercises would help, as would light weights. I'm sure a trainer would be better suited to advise on that though.
  • MrsTits
    Options
    I mean, I absolutely love when someone says they are not losing weight and the response is "you're not eating enough".

Well, if the cap fits... :p
    That's statement makes as much sense as the original statement

Is there a reason you feel the need to be so patronising and ill mannered? I'm all for people disagreeing with me, but an actual thought out answer would be preferable to rudeness. :)
    The missus is right, she's definitely in a deficit form her BMR and TDEE calculations.

Thank you! ;)
  • DerekVTX
    DerekVTX Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    (1) Buy a kitchen Scale

(2) Measure and Weigh Everything you eat

(3) Log as you are eating, don't try to remember at the end of the day

You may actually be eating much more than 1200 cal per day.
  • MrsTits
    Options

If one is not losing at 1200, then what do you suggest? Let's say, just for arguments sake that IF SHE EATS MORE she gains. Let's just say that's what happens so that we take that off the table. Now, what do you suggest? I actually know what I'm talking about. And, it us safe to go below 1200.

She'll only gain if she eats over her maintenance which is around 2242 kcals a day. No one suggested she should start shovelling food in, but she certainly shouldn't be starving herself either.

Where did you get the 2242 kcals from?

I explained in my post but will copy for you below. x

"I stuck your details in here - http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/ (5ft,3/23 yrs/139lbs) which gave you a BMR of 1447 cals per day.

That's a really basic calculation, you can go into it further with TDEE etc."