Random Halloween Observations

Options
millerll
millerll Posts: 873 Member
Every year at this time, I get my share of laughs, frights, and things that just make me shake my head. Here's a few of my random observations, in no particular order.

What's up with the kids asking for 2 pieces of candy? No, sweetie, you just take one.

There should be an age beyond which it's just not cool to go trick-or-treating. There's something pathetic about 17-year-olds ringing my doorbell holding a pillowcase and asking for candy. I'm never sure if they're trick-or-treating or casing the joint for a heist.

Grrrr to the dad who told his kid to "Get a Butterfinger for daddy". Hey, dad, how about you buy your own candy? Halloween is supposed to be for the kids, remember?

There are WAY too many obese teenagers today. Nuff said.

The highlight of the night was the family who came to the door with their little boy. He couldn't have been more than a year or 18 months old. According to dad, this was his first time trick-or-treating. Goaded by his parents, he bravely approached the bowl of candy I held out, then proceeded to reach into his little pumpkin candy bucket, remove a piece of candy, and carefully place it in my bowl. Then, he selected one for his bowl, smiled broadly, and tottered off, with his folks and I laughing our heads off the whole time. Apparently, in his world, you trade for Halloween candy. How cute!

I hope you all had a good Halloween!

Replies

• PLUMSGRL
    PLUMSGRL Posts: 1,134 Member
    Options
    I put out 2 bowls- one with the regular candy crap and one with the 100 cal popcorn balls had to keep filling up the popcarn balls!
  • CGerman
    CGerman Posts: 539
    Options
    I agree with the older kids trick-or-treating, most of them barely dress up, if that. It's bad when my little ones are fighting through 10 teenagers just to get their candy.

How cute is the candy trader? That is priceless!

One of the highlights of our night was at one of our stops. My 3 year old son holds up his bucket and a little kid in the house, probably about 2, was eating a candy bar. The kid takes a bite and then tosses the rest of the candy bar in my son's bucket. My son just looks at us like "what do I do with that?" :laugh: The mom at the door apologized and dug it back out, we laughed the whole way home.
  • KeepOnMoving
    KeepOnMoving Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    My 10 year old actually loves passing out candy. He has chose to do this over going trick or treating for 3 years now. I think it is really sweet. He is also a health nut for such a young age.

What bothers me is some of the kids who slam on our door loud and rudely. It makes me not want to do it just because of their obnoxious and aggressive approach.
  • MissingMinnesota
    MissingMinnesota Posts: 7,486 Member
    Options

The highlight of the night was the family who came to the door with their little boy. He couldn't have been more than a year or 18 months old. According to dad, this was his first time trick-or-treating. Goaded by his parents, he bravely approached the bowl of candy I held out, then proceeded to reach into his little pumpkin candy bucket, remove a piece of candy, and carefully place it in my bowl. Then, he selected one for his bowl, smiled broadly, and tottered off, with his folks and I laughing our heads off the whole time. Apparently, in his world, you trade for Halloween candy. How cute!

OMG that is too cute. He knows how to share!
  • Suedre
    Suedre Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    awwww. I don't mind the teenagers at all. Once they are past about 17, it's just rude, but the 12 - 16ish ones are welcome at my house. I'd rather them be coming to see me for a few blow-pop and snickers than throwing bags of poop or smoking under the deck. I don't remember it well, but I'm pretty sure it's a pretty awkard age, too old to be kids, to young to be adults. I also have no problem with dad getting a butterfinger either. Maybe I'm just to easy going, I've heard that a few times before. :)

Your trader is awfully cute. I think my favorite were the monkey twins. They were so darn cute, even had little plushie bananas in their pockets!
  • melodyg
    melodyg Posts: 1,423 Member
    Options
    What a cutie your little trader is!

My pet peeve of the night is the *parent* who asked me for candy... after her child had grabbed about 6 pieces from the bowl I offered. She then gave her younger child a few more pieces and then grabbed some more for herself! I just had some teens ringing my bell and yelling Trick or Treat too... um... my lights have been out for a while now. I'm out of candy. Go find the family who took the rest of it and ask for some!

The first house we went too gave us a little puzzle and Wiki Stix! That was the best loot we got of the night. :)
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Options

Precious!:heart:
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Options

One of the highlights of our night was at one of our stops. My 3 year old son holds up his bucket and a little kid in the house, probably about 2, was eating a candy bar. The kid takes a bite and then tosses the rest of the candy bar in my son's bucket. My son just looks at us like "what do I do with that?" :laugh: The mom at the door apologized and dug it back out, we laughed the whole way home.
    :laugh: Awesome!!:tongue: Little kids are just SOoooo funny! I miss it!:heart:
  • godblessourhome
    godblessourhome Posts: 3,892 Member
    Options
    What bothers me is some of the kids who slam on our door loud and rudely. It makes me not want to do it just because of their obnoxious and aggressive approach.

i agree! i have a few every year that ring and ring and ring the doorbell and then knock, like i didn't hear them ring the doorbell. all in about a 20-second period of time. i actually tell them that it is rude and to please refrain.

this year, my oldest son and i were sick so i turned off the outdoor lights and all the lights on the main floor. i can not believe the number of knocks and doorbell rings that we still got. um, hello parents, teach your children that a dark house means 'do not disturb'! jeez, common courtesy! it was really annoying.
  • MonsteRawr
    MonsteRawr Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I actually stopped giving out candy for those exact reasons. Too many teenagers, too many greedy fat kids, too many *kitten* parents. I left my porch light off this year because I'm just over it. Apologies to the nice, responsible parents with the adorable kids, but all the jerks before you ruined it for the rest. There's no Halloween candy in this house!
  • mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    Options
    Too much Halloween candy at my house. I stocked up and gave out several pieces to each kid, I had a total of 11. I had more last year that's why I bought extra. Now I have Halloween candy here to tempt me. Maybe my son will hide it in his room.
  • kiffypooh
    kiffypooh Posts: 1,045 Member
    Options
    I like the parents who show up with a 6 month old trick-or-treating...really? Are you going to save it for them or what? I hope you're not feeding you 6 month old a snickers :laugh:

That candy trader story was too cute. I was grinning ear to ear :happy:

Last year I gave out a bowl of candy and a bowl of play-dough. I held out each bowl for the kids and all of them chose the play-dough even before I let them chose one of each.

Proud mama moment of the day, my 3 year old told me I could have all her candy in exchange for a new dress up dress, all of the candy is going to work with hubby tomorrow.
  • allie7383
    allie7383 Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Here's my one observation for this year.. I work nights, and on my break went to get coffee. The DD that I went to was right by a popular bar in the area, which at that time was closing, so all you saw was people everywhere in costume.. Now i'm all for dressing up and having a great time, but the woman in line in front of me, dressed as a, let's say "less than wholesome" version of Dorothy from the Wizard of Oz, complete with thigh-high white stockings and high platform ruby slippers, at one point asked her bf... "Can you see my panties?" If you have to ask a question like that...Um.. yeah... Apparently she only paid for half a skirt this year..
  • MissingMinnesota
    MissingMinnesota Posts: 7,486 Member
    Options
    My friend told me the cutest story. She has a 6 month old and a 2 year old so they only went around to a couple of their friends houses and then went home and let the 2 year old hand out the candy. Well I guess a couple teens came up to the house in jeans, hoodies and a mask. Well he opened the door and said "You too old" and slammed the door in their faces. My friend was rolling with laughter. He will grow up to be the "get off my porch" type of person.
  • SP0472
    SP0472 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I didnt give out candy this year only because I didnt want to be tempted by it. But I did notice that this year the kids were banging on the doors a lot louder than in past years! I thought some of them were going to knock my door off the hinges! Makes me glad I didnt give them candy this year.

What happened to a nice ring of the door bell or a delicate tap on the door? What I found even more bizarre was my house was dark - I turned off all the lights and they still kept banging on my door. The darkness of the house should be an indication that nobody's home!
  • amandalc980
    amandalc980 Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    At every house I repeated the same mantra to my kids. "Trick or treat and thank you! Trick or treat and thank you!" Its the one time a year strangers can give you candy, lets show some manners and say thank you.

My highlight is always watching my daughter ohhh and aww over the little kids. She is a very small 5 year old, looks three, so when she awws over those smaller than her it is too funny. Sometimes she will help the smaller kids go up to the house if they are nervous.
  • CGerman
    CGerman Posts: 539
    Options
    My friend told me the cutest story. She has a 6 month old and a 2 year old so they only went around to a couple of their friends houses and then went home and let the 2 year old hand out the candy. Well I guess a couple teens came up to the house in jeans, hoodies and a mask. Well he opened the door and said "You too old" and slammed the door in their faces. My friend was rolling with laughter. He will grow up to be the "get off my porch" type of person.

This is classic :laugh: