any post preggo success stories?

Options
I would love to see some positive success stories of women after giving birth. Im feeling a little discouraged like im never getting my old body back lol. Also please post what you did to get there :)

Replies

• SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
    Options
    Hai. Had my second baby May 16th 2013. I was 170 lbs at my 6 week postpartum check up. I'm now 118 lbs. Moderate calorie deficit, weightlifting, minor cardio, and patience. This is pretty much the single most helpful link I found to help me succeed

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    See pics in my profile. I'm currently 13 months post-partum. To start, I just ate at a calorie deficit and did cardio for exercise. Once I got to goal weight, I started doing strength training, which really changed the shape of my body for better.
  • evedroid
    evedroid Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    ^ exactly what ive done.
    wish i started lifting sooner though.

924891_458726954226835_2066309056_n.jpg
  • MrsMajor87
    MrsMajor87 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    were any of you breastfeeding? Im just not sure how much to eat daily to lose weight but also not hurt my supply.
  • Practice_Makes_Progress
    Options
    My son is about to turn 3. It has been a journey the whole time. I've fluctuated a lot in weight. I started out at 132, then the day before I had my son, I was 202. Yes, I know my son was 9lbs 5 oz of that, but still, I had gained A LOT during my pregnancy.
    After I had him, I started eating lean white meats and complex carbs. That made me lose pretty quickly, but I didn't stick to it. I wasn't exercising either.

In October, I started paying attention to my calorie intake and making sure that I was eating nutrient dense foods. That has made a HUGE difference. And now that the snow finally melted (I live in Minnesota), I take my son for 30 minute walks twice a day and that has seriously helped. In October I was 150lbs, and after eating right and getting active, I'm 122lbs now.

Something that I recommend is taking this quiz to find out your body type. From there, you can find out what kind of foods help to maximize your metabolism.

(scroll down to the image that says Quick Start Program)

http://forums.provida.com/6weekbodymakeover/trytheonlineblueprint_1679162/reply.html
  • tacticalhippie
    tacticalhippie Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    Things picked up body composition wise when I started using kettlebells.
    I only have like 30 min a day to work out at home.
    Wish I would have done it sooner.

I've lost/maintained 110-120 lbs.
    (I kind of fell off the wagon for a while last year and gained back by not keeping active and watching what I ate)

BUT I feel like since I started off way heavier, I have much more work left to do.
    Which is why I wish I would have started working out sooner.
  • SugaryLynx
    Options
    @Practice_Make There are no certain foods to maximize metabolism. In fact, after sustained overeating, your metabolism should be in pretty good shape. Stop over complicating things. Just eat nutrient dense foods for a majority of your intake, enjoy some treats here or there, stay in a deficit And lose weight
  • MrsMajor87
    Options
    because im breastfeeding would a calorie intake of 1500-1800 be ok? I used to eat around 1200-1400 before getting pregnant to lose weight
  • SugaryLynx
    Options
    because im breastfeeding would a calorie intake of 1500-1800 be ok? I used to eat around 1200-1400 before getting pregnant to lose weight

I think, from what I've read, an additional 500 calories are typically added to your goal for it, so I would almost aim for 1800. Give it a few weeks before changing. Log 100%, then adjust from there as needed.
  • dewsmom78
    dewsmom78 Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I had my 2nd baby on March 23rd. I am 5'3 and topped out at 185 lbs. I am now down to 156, and still need to lose 25 lbs to get back to original pre-baby weight.

I am doing Jillian's Body Revolution along with my elliptical 5 days a week.

It's coming off very slowly. But I'm determined to meet my goal by this fall.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    <--- not really recent post pregnancy, but I guess technically 12 years IS post. :tongue:

1800 would probably be good.

And ignore the link about eating for you "body type". That is false.
  • MrsMajor87
    Options
    Ok ill aim for 1800. I've been terrible about logging my food but I know it works so i'm going to start today and stick to it. Then i''ll get to post my success story in the near future :)

Would bad sleep really make a huge difference in my weight loss? My daughter still wakes me up 1-2xs a night, and who knows when she'll start to sleep through the night.
  • cocolo89
    cocolo89 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    I've had success after having both of my kids. With my daughter my Prepregnant weight was 145, I got up to 195 and delivered and was stuck at 170-175 for mooooonnnnth cause I was just lazy to do anything about it. After she was 9months old I wanted to changed finally, so I changed my eating habits, no fast foods, no sweets or pastries, and 80% whole foods. I did this for about 6-7months and got down to 123lbs and maintained that weight successfully until I got pregnant with my son the following year. I also exercised 5 days a week by doing DVDs with light weights. With my son my starting weight was 123-125 and I got up to 158lbs. After delivery I weighed 140lbs and then I slowly lost the weight by eating 1700-2000 calories a day because I breastfed him for a year and was super hungry during that time. I breastfed both kids, but for some reason with my son I wasn't able to eat at a deficit until I weaned. After he hit 14months old, I had got down to 126 and then surprisingly found out I was pregnant. Sooooo here we go again. Lol. I'm 9wks pregnant now and I plan to lose the weight again after I deliver :))
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    Ok ill aim for 1800. I've been terrible about logging my food but I know it works so i'm going to start today and stick to it. Then i''ll get to post my success story in the near future :)

Would bad sleep really make a huge difference in my weight loss? My daughter still wakes me up 1-2xs a night, and who knows when she'll start to sleep through the night.

While sleep is important, you can still lose weight not sleeping well. It's great to get a good amount of sleep, but when you have an infant that doesn't sleep through the night, it's not really possible.
  • JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,217 MFP Moderator
    Options
    And the other side of that coin is: I had my first kiddo 13 years ago, and my youngest 10 years ago. for 13 YEARS I stayed overweight. I absolutely commend you for doing this for yourself and your family NOW and not waiting because you 'don't have time' (this is what I did). You're awesome. Major kudos to you, and all those who came to their senses long before I did. Y'all rock. :)

Edit because sarcasm doesn't translate well via text sometimes.
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    <--- I'm like REALLY postpartum but I have three kids.

And really, what is wrong with saying "pregnant"
  • cocolo89
    cocolo89 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options

How old is your little one? You actually have the option to add breastfeeding calories in your diary depending on little ones age. YOu just enter "breastfeeding" like you would add food and then a bunch of options come up. The first 6 months I never went below 1700 calories, the first 3 months i'd eat 1800-2000 then decreased to 1700 and after he was closer to a year old (9-12months) I went down to 1500-1600. Good luck!!! Breastfeeding is a lot of work!!!
  • Escloflowne
    Escloflowne Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    It's alright for sauce in a jar but I much prefer making it myself!!!
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    <--- I'm like REALLY postpartum but I have three kids.

And really, what is wrong with saying "pregnant"

:flowerforyou: Thank you! I keep picturing Prego pasta sauce.
  • MiloBloom83
    MiloBloom83 Posts: 2,723 Member
    Options
    Preggo makes me think of mediocre pasta sauce. At least you didn't say Ragu...