Stronglifts question

Options
My husband and I just started the program and my question is - what about warming up? I read Mehdi's information but it just confused me. What does a typical warm up look like for your day?

Thank you!

Replies

• tonyalenore
    tonyalenore Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    When I started and was using just the bar, I would do about 10 body weight squats and went through the movements of each with just body weight a few times.

Now I warm up with a set with the empty bar, then do my 5x5 sets.

My lifts are are still under 100 lbs, but I think once you go heavier then you do a warm up set with the empty bar, and then maybe a partially loaded set. I'm still a little ways off from having to worry about that though lol :)

I also like doing about 5-10 minutes on the treadmill before all that, but that's because my gym is really cold.
  • TrailNurse
    TrailNurse Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I do a little cardio before I start weight training to warm up. You can also start your set with much smaller weight (or the bar) as a warm up.
  • marvybells
    marvybells Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    i used this website to help me determine what the warm up reps should be:

http://warmupreps.com/
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
  • rick_po
    rick_po Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    To get warmed up before your first lift, you don't need much at all. Just a few minutes brisk walking to get the heart pumping.

You should also be doing warm-up sets for the lifts. Other people have already mentioned how to figure out your warm-up set weights. I tend to do the full complement of squat warm-ups, but I tend to skip a few warm-up sets on the later lifts, just because I'm already warm from doing squats.
  • steve0820
    steve0820 Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    Your warm up should be based on the exercise at hand. Always try and do a warm up that mimics the movement. Depending on the weight you're at, the Empty Bar is always a great option. Bodyweight exercises are great as well.
  • watto1980
    watto1980 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Before I squat I do some body weight lunges, about 6-8 per leg. Then I do 2 x 8-10 reps squatting with the bar. Then I do a set of 5-6 with 50-60% of working set weight, then I go straight into the working sets.

Pretty much follow this for all the exercises, the bar for higher reps then 50-60% of working weight then working sets. Seems to work for me, haven't had an injury doing it this way.
  • ziggypop93
    ziggypop93 Posts: 133 Member
    Options

Thank you, this is what I was looking for!

And thank you all for the answers, I really appreciate it!
  • inthezone77
    inthezone77 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I do a 5 min light job to warm up the muscles, then stretch. I do 10 reps of squats with bar, then add 10kg, do another 2x5 then normal 5x5. For bench, upright row and press I do 1x5 with bar
  • marvybells
    marvybells Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options

Thank you, this is what I was looking for!

And thank you all for the answers, I really appreciate it!

you're welcome! :smile:
  • amberlykay1014
    amberlykay1014 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    I always do some foam rolling first to loosen up my muscles and I think it helps with flexibility too. On days when I don't have time and go straight to the squat rack, I can tell a difference in my hips. I'm usually too tight/stiff without it.

Gauntlet or front squats with just 30lb weights or the empty bar. I then work up to my working weight for squats by doing about 4 reps at 60%, 3 reps at 75% and 2 reps at about 90%. Then it's go time!