Tips for Lowering Sodium intake?

Options
amandzor
amandzor Posts: 386 Member
I'm trying to find new ways to lower my sodium intake because I feel it's too high.

It's difficult to avoid in some pre-made sauces and I've tried not to use salt while seasoning my food. (chicken breast, rice, etc.) and I was just wondering if anyone had any suggestions for avoiding sodium.

Replies

• Controversial
    Controversial Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Just curious why?
  • socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to find new ways to lower my sodium intake because I feel it's too high.

It's difficult to avoid in some pre-made sauces and I've tried not to use salt while seasoning my food. (chicken breast, rice, etc.) and I was just wondering if anyone had any suggestions for avoiding sodium.

How about making your own sauces? Make enough so you can have at least size small freeze bags of two or three sauces, divide in serving sizes, freeze in small freezer bag - one way to reduce your sodium intake.

Once you have everything prepared, the most time this should take to make - 1 hour
  • Rowood101
    Rowood101 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Bump! I have the same problem and would love to hear some solutions.
  • ximenia
    ximenia Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    The only way to really avoid it is to make all your own stuff, eat clean and avoid processed foods in general. If that's not an option you can try upping your potassium intake as that can help offset it.
  • Kita328
    Kita328 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    1. Using foods that are less processed or not processed at all.
    2. Less meats like sausag/ bacon.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    Just curious why?

+1

I have to keep my sodium <2300mg per doctor's orders. It's a PITA and there's plenty of foods I can't eat anymore because their sodium is too high. There's no reason to do it unless you have a medical condition.

Tips:
    - stop salting your food and use other seasonings
    - make sauces from scratch
    - read food labels and buy foods with low sodium
    - learn to tolerate Swiss cheese (a food peeve of mine :tongue: )
  • simplydelish2
    simplydelish2 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    Best advice is to avoid pre-packaged and processed foods. Unless your doctor says your sodium level is too high, you have heart issues, or you are retaining water...you are most likely good with the sodium range of 2000mg.
  • amandzor
    amandzor Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Just curious why?

I know that sodium in the diet is essential for the normal function of our bodies. However, high excess sodium in the diet contributes to high blood pressure (which much of my family has).

I'm hoping by at least decreasing my intake (not eliminating it) that I'll avoid future health problems.

I"ll give making my own sauces a shot, I like cooking and it sounds like a good challenge, I'll have to pick up a food processor.

Thanks for the ideas guys. :)
  • jwooley13
    jwooley13 Posts: 243
    Options
    I love the frozen foods section at Trader Joe's, but nothing packs a sodium punch quite like frozen meals. Even low-cal, low-fat, delicious and healthy things are usually packed with sodium in the frozen foods aisle. I still keep them on hand for nights when cooking sounds terrible (it keeps me away from ordering some seriously indulgent takeout), but try to avoid them otherwise.

Annie's Organic does make some low sodium frozen stuff, but that's about all I've found.
  • DeliriumCanBeFun
    DeliriumCanBeFun Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    The main culprits seem to be deli meat, restaurant food, things like canned sauces and store bought broth and such. Baking powder and soda both have a lot. I cook at home almost all the time and always use salt and other seaonings with salt, and I never go on sodium over eating like that. There really isn't that much sodium in the amount of salt you would normally use at home.
  • jwooley13
    jwooley13 Posts: 243
    Options
    Also, citrus like lemon and lime can satisfy the flavor craving that salt does - I use it on lot's of veggies to keep myself from using more salt than I perhaps should.
  • socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    Just curious why?

I know that sodium in the diet is essential for the normal function of our bodies. However, high excess sodium in the diet contributes to high blood pressure (which much of my family has).

I'm hoping by at least decreasing my intake (not eliminating it) that I'll avoid future health problems.

I"ll give making my own sauces a shot, I like cooking and it sounds like a good challenge, I'll have to pick up a food processor.

Thanks for the ideas guys. :)

Don't me afraid to use fresh herbs, fresh lemon, ginger, thyme, basil (its going to a trial and error), but eventually you will get there. Buy a note book and write down the amount of each ingredient used, that way you can cut back on one or increase on another to make the sauce better next time.

Start using ingredients outside of your comfort zone: I love using curry and turmeric, use coconut milk (low fat). The list is endless, but as I said its going to be trail and error.
  • rosy_08
    rosy_08 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Like others have said, cooking your own food is probably one the best ways to reduce sodium.
    Try different spices and herbs to add flavor and then if you really feel it's missing some salt, just add a dash. Using lemons or limes also can help replace salt, or so I read somewhere.

If you use pre-packaged items, try getting reduced sodium or no salt added versions. But you need to be careful that they haven't replaced the salt with other ingredients. I know that's a huge problem with low fat foods - they replace fat with added sugars - not sure about salt. You can probably also rinse canned items to get rid of some of the salt, like canned beans.

I hope this helps :)
  • pita7317
    pita7317 Posts: 1,437 Member
    Options
    I looked at your diary and sodium not tracked.
    How much are you consuming a day ? Approx.
    I try to stay right around 1500, 85% of the time anyway.
    A little on the difficult side but sure feel better when I do.
    Just like everything else, set a goal, read labels.
    If it's too much eat half of what you intended...just make it fit.
  • roanokejoe49
    roanokejoe49 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    Look into Mrs. Dash's spices. Great flavor and low sodium.
  • asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    Options
    Drink more water!
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    Look into Mrs. Dash's spices. Great flavor and low sodium.

Yes. There's a Mrs. Dash no sodium taco seasoning mix.
  • spara0038
    spara0038 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I'm a huge fan of garlic and I've found it's just about as satisfying for me as salt when I'm cooking.On things that I would have used table salt on, I use garlic powder. One caveat: check that there isn't any salt in the garlic powder. It's surprising how many of them (particularly the cheaper brands) do that.

Seasonings with lots of sodium: any kind of soy sauce (even reduced sodium- regular has something ridiculous like 1000mg/serving so reducing that isn't really an accomplishment), hot sauce, cheesy sauces, and salsa

I like vinegar as a replacement for some places I would have used salt also.

As for frozen or pre-prepped meals, I prep most of my own meals on a Sunday and then defrost/consume throughout the week. The amount of salt in packaged or pre-prepped foods out there is nuts.
  • dclark566
    dclark566 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    Cut out processed foods..go fresh and make your own!
  • w2bab
    w2bab Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I don't use any salt when cooking, and add a little at the table if I want it. Fresh, frozen, or no-salt-added vegetables are out there with no added sodium. I compare labels a lot too. It's surprising how much the sodium varies between brands. I usually keep mine below 1200 mg per day. I use Mrs Dash too, but my husband doesn't like it, so I only use it on mine.