Nervous About June

Options
This next month is going to be a bit rough on my routine.

Next week we will be living in a hotel while our house is being worked on. I did get us accommodations in a place where our accommodations include a kitchen, so I can take over groceries from our house and that should help. I am excited about having access to a gym for a few days (no gym membership and no room for home equipment in our townhouse). But it will be tempting to eat their provided breakfast and to order in/go out for dinners.

Then the weekend after that is Denver Comic Con, so I will need to make sure I pack lots of snacks and really resist the bad for me convention food.

Then a week of normal life and then I'm at a national conference and I'm pretty much at the mercy of the random people who decided the menus and snacks for the conference attendees. I'm packing my workout clothes and again staying at a place with a gym. My coworker who is sharing my room promises he won't undermine me when it comes to dinner plans, etc. The hotel does provide breakfast, I'm hoping the variety goes beyond "pancakes and fruit loops". I'm hoping the conference snacks and meals aren't just "here are some pastries" or "chicken buried in sauce". I'm not sure if I will really have room in my suitcase to pack snacks and we won't have a rental car to go snag groceries.

Thanks to scheduling I'm going to miss two of my weekly weigh-in days, I know I can do them late, but I don't like it.

So basically I'm nervous that it will be hard for me to log, nervous that food options will be very limiting health wise, nervous that I will completely chicken out on going to the gym in front of strangers, nervous the time zone difference will have me sleeping through morning workouts, etc. I'm sure if something else occurred to me I'd be nervous about it, too!

Replies

• juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean...summer time is often difficult for me too, as it means more neighborhood potluck type grill-outs (and unfortunately all my neighbors are damn good cooks), more alcohol consumption (ie - lazy days spent floating in the pool with a 6 pack), etc.

The good thing is you recognize that the next few weeks will be difficult for you. That's half the battle.

My advice: Adjust your expectations, do your best, and get back "on the wagon" as soon as it's over.

Adjust expectations: For me, summertime was a "win" simply if I maintained, weighing the same on Labor Day as I did on Memorial Day (I'm on perm maintenance now...). You know these next couple weeks will be tough - if you've been losing a lb a week, maybe adjust expectations to .5 per week or just maintenance.

Do your Best: Maybe you're not going to be able to log everything - log as much as you can. Maybe some days you will eat the complimentary breakfast - doesn't mean you have to over indulge. Just do your best.

Get back on the wagon: Once you get home, realize that June is now in the past, and it's time to buckle down and get serious again.
  • FireOpalCO
    FireOpalCO Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    Thanks.

I'm definitely one of those people who can handle adversity, but hates unknown variables. Give me a set battleplan and I'm good to go. Give me a list of maybes and I keep reviewing them in my head. Since the hotels are the same chain (Residence Inns) I'm hoping that the breakfast offerings are the same, even though they are time zones away from each other.

I wish I could pack my food scale.