Dubbed vs Subbed

Options
wolf39us
wolf39us Posts: 163 Member
Okay anime / foreign flick fans -- queue the arguments for dubbed or subbed

I'm personally on the subbed only side of things. I can't stand watching a poorly done dub, but will tolerate them if I HAVE to. That's not to say that I haven't seen a good dub.

Aaaaand GO!

Replies

• athousandstiles
    Options
    Ive never watched a poorly done dubbed one but if I did I'd probably to be on the subbed side of things too. But right now, I'm gonna have to go with dubbed.
  • Charlie003
    Charlie003 Posts: 1,333 Member
    Options
    I generally watch both equally. I watch Crunchyroll at night and at lunch. On the commute I watch dubbed that I downloaded from dubbed anime. Also, If i watch a really good series subbed, then I will rewatch it dubbed to pay more attention to the animation and not reading.
  • notamoment
    notamoment Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Subbed. All the friggin way.
  • headofphat
    headofphat Posts: 1,597 Member
    Options
    ^^^^whatever she said.
  • ilfaith
    ilfaith Posts: 16,769 Member
    Options
    Subbed...but I have seen some poor subtitles. I once remember watching an entire scene with white subtitles against a snowy background. Could barely make out a word.
  • notamoment
    Options
    Subbed...but I have seen some poor subtitles. I once remember watching an entire scene with white subtitles against a snowy background. Could barely make out a word.

Hate when that happens!
  • wolf39us
    Options
    Ive never watched a poorly done dubbed one but if I did I'd probably to be on the subbed side of things too. But right now, I'm gonna have to go with dubbed.

if we're talking Anime... then go watch Love Hina in English. Your ears will hate you and you will have suicidal thoughts lol
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,585 Member
    Options
    I like dubbed because I dont want to read while watching a movie
  • Yagisama
    Yagisama Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Subbed 99% of the time. Though sometimes (Princess Mononoke as an example) the US dubbed dialog has a lot more depth than the original (in this case Japanese) dialogue.
  • notamoment
    Options
    Subbed 99% of the time. Though sometimes (Princess Mononoke as an example) the US dubbed dialog has a lot more depth than the original (in this case Japanese) dialogue.

Hayao miyazaki movies are not included in my subbed only answer :)
  • wolf39us
    Options

Mononoke Hime was a brilliant dub. Miyazaki doesn't mess around with his voice actors!
  • elsie0o0
    elsie0o0 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Subbed all the way, but there are a few dubbed that I strongly prefer-Rurouni Kenshin, FMA, Cowboy Bebop, Big O, basically anything with Steve Blum, Dorothy Ann Elias-Fahn, Crispin Freeman and or Johhny Bosch.

I haven't watched anything on Toonami recently because of bad dubbing.
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,788 Member
    Options
    If it's dubbed or subbed , the flick gets snubbed
  • athousandstiles
    Options

if we're talking Anime... then go watch Love Hina in English. Your ears will hate you and you will have suicidal thoughts lol

I have a feeling this is gonna end badly.
  • Jesslane93
    Jesslane93 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Dubbed, because I can pay more attention to what is going on, then reading the subs. Although I will still watch subs if I have to.
  • Dregg
    Dregg Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Subbed all the way. How else am I going to learn Japanese? =P
  • Jesslane93
    Jesslane93 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Subbed all the way. How else am I going to learn Japanese? =P

I love learning the anime theme songs in Japanese haha
  • wolf39us
    Options
    Dubbed, because I can pay more attention to what is going on, then reading the subs. Although I will still watch subs if I have to.

I see this excuse a LOT and I really just don't understand it. I'm sure I'm not the only one that can read the subtitles AND fully enjoy every frame of the show. You only need to glance down for such a short amount of time and just glance back up.

After watching anime forever half the time I don't even need the subs lol I'm not fluent in Japanese shikashi, watashi wa sukoshi rikai shiite imasu (I realize shiite is misspelled but the word filter keeps blocking SHI - TE)
  • zilkah
    zilkah Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I cannot take dubbed seriously. I dont know why. Everything sounds better in japanese + subs. I won't watch dubbed unless it's all that's out there and even then I might go watch something else
  • jec285
    jec285 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    If it's dubbed or subbed , the flick gets snubbed

+2