Calories vs Nutrition

Options
Just a random poll: How many of you care about WHAT you eat instead of just counting calories?

Yes you can eat a 150 calorie cupcake and burn it off with exercise. But what about the trans fat that clogs your arteries; the sugar the makes your pancreas work harder to create insulin; the hydrogenated oils that get into your blood stream and effects your cells composition?

Does anyone read food labels to avoid processed foods? Does anyone buy organic fruit so that you aren't ingesting pesticides? Does anyone care about their insides or is it all about calories in and calories out?

Replies

• SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    Lots of people care about those things. Why would you think otherwise?
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    I watch my calories. I also watch my macros to make sure I'm getting enough protein. And I keep an eye on my micronutrients to be sure I'm getting enough (this week my hurdle is iron - way too low on iron). I eat lean meats, fish, whole wheat bread, fruits and veggies. And I try to fit in a couple of servings of ice cream or a beer whenever possible.
  • GameGirl777
    GameGirl777 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to get a sample. I take it you read food labels and avoid processed foods? thanks :ohwell:
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    ah, not worth my time.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    I care a great deal about both proper nutrition and proper energy consumption...they're both pretty important.

Also, I had a homemade cupcake for desert after lunch...I hardly think it negates the 8 servings of vegetables I'm going to end up with by the time I go to bed and all of my other nutrition...around 145 grams of protein and 70 grams of fat.

In fact, that cupcake provided me with a very nice boost of quick energy after a healthy lunch and a 15 mile ride. When I ride long miles I suck on Jolly Ranchers...one about every 1/2 hour...sugar is rocket fuel...not necessarily some demon spawn from hell trying to give you diabetes.
  • Kayden1986
    Kayden1986 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    A can of worms has been opened here today.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to get a sample. I take it you read food labels and avoid processed foods? thanks :ohwell:

I can't tell if this was directed at me or the poster above me. I do read food labels. I do not avoid processed foods.
  • SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
    Options
    I had no idea there were holy rollers in nutrition.

It would just blow your mind to know you could be healthy and enjoy enjoy a cupcake, wouldn't it?
  • Veil5577
    Veil5577 Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    I have started trying to eat better; instead of potato chips and ice cream I'm going for fruits and vegetables and protein; still need to cut down my sugar a little. But I don't have the time or patience to read food labels and I can't avoid processed foods all the time because buying fresh food is expensive for someone who only has 100 dollars to eat on for two weeks.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Of course I care about what I eat and nutrition. I don't think that's the key to losing weight, however. For that I count calories.
  • BarbellApprentice
    BarbellApprentice Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    Just a random poll: How many of you care about WHAT you eat instead of just counting calories?

Yes you can eat a 150 calorie cupcake and burn it off with exercise. But what about the trans fat that clogs your arteries; the sugar the makes your pancreas work harder to create insulin; the hydrogenated oils that get into your blood stream and effects your cells composition?

Does anyone read food labels to avoid processed foods? Does anyone buy organic fruit so that you aren't ingesting pesticides? Does anyone care about their insides or is it all about calories in and calories out?

It's all about the in and out.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Absolutely. I try to be quite diligent about my diet. I try to build the most nutrient dense and satisfying meals I can. This isn't just about the number on the scale, it's about my quality of life. Now, and when I'm 70.
    I only wish I had started thinking about nutrient dense healthier eating in my 20s instead of my late 30s.
  • KnM0107
    KnM0107 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    I read labels. I don't avoid any foods except those I am allergic to. No I don't avoid processed foods, they just make up a small percentage of my intake.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Does anyone read food labels to avoid processed foods?

If it has a food label, it's "processed food" by definition.

If you're really concerned about these things, you shouldn't be eating anything that requires a food label.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    OP, it would blow your mind to know what "organic produce" really consists of, wouldn't it? Hint: There are pesticides on those fruits! So is wax, but no one raises hell about that.
  • 3bambi3
    3bambi3 Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options

Just an FYI: organic foods contain pesticides. They just have to be natural. Which doesn't make them any less harmful.

"A recent study compared the effectiveness of a rotenone-pyrethrin mixture versus a synthetic pesticide, imidan. Rotenone and pyrethrin are two common organic pesticides; imidan is considered a "soft" synthetic pesticide (i.e., designed to have a brief lifetime after application, and other traits that minimize unwanted effects). It was found that up to 7 applications of the rotenone- pyrethrin mixture were required to obtain the level of protection provided by 2 applications of imidan.

It seems unlikely that 7 applications of rotenone and pyrethrin are really better for the environment than 2 applications of imidan, especially when rotenone is extremely toxic to fish and other aquatic life."

http://www.ocf.berkeley.edu/~lhom/organictext.html

http://www.epa.gov/pesticides/food/organics.htm
  • SandraJN
    SandraJN Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    I do not eat processed food or fast food. I read labels, I buy organic and I grow my own organic fruit and vegetables. We buy eggs and chicken from my neighbor's organic farm, we buy pork from a local sustainable farmer and I get beef from a friend of a friend. Our dairy comes from Cedar Summit Farm, a local, long time organic dairy and creamery. We belong to a local co-op as well.

There is nothing wrong with a cupcake or any other baked good in moderation, but it is better for you if it is homemade without partially hydrogenated oil and no high fructose corn syrup. I love to bake. I love to cook. And, why I am here, I love to eat!
  • sympha01
    sympha01 Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    Ugh this false equivalence bugs. It's not as though it's only possible to care about / track proper nutrition OR calories.

Pro-tip: CARE ABOUT BOTH.
  • tedrickp
    tedrickp Posts: 1,229 Member
    Options
    The biggest help for me losing weight is realizing I don't have to choose between calories and nutrition.

I can stay under my calories, "care about my insides", hit my macronutrient needs, hit my micronutrient needs (quite easily in fact) all while enjoying a balance of whole foods, processed foods, "evil" chemicals and yes - cupcakes.
  • csuhar
    csuhar Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    I view it like a big dartboard. The outer ring- what i do to basically land on the target, is "Calories". At the very least, I try to reach that goal. The next ring in is "Macros". Inside that is "non-microwave meals". Depending on how I feel, I may toss in "organic" as one of the smaller rings.

But, to be honest, my goal is to meet those first priorities of not exceeding my calorie goal, meeting my macro goals, and accomplishing those using meals I made instead of the kind that I pull out of the freezer and put in the microwave.

There are some days where all I can say is that I stayed within my caloric limits. Other days, I can say I met my calorie and macro goals, but there's a Hungry Man, Lean Cuisine, Smart Ones, or Marie Callender meal somewhere in there. If I can meat my calorie goal, my macro goals, and do so with meals I make at home from ingredients I bought, I consider that a good day.