Starting Strength overeating recommendations

Options
I started reading Starting Strength, and its section on nutrition dumbfounded me. The author recommends up to 6,000 cals a day for the first few weeks. I can't imagine how it's possible to eat that much. He has a solution though - drink a Gallon of whole milk every day. At ~2400 cals that can help, but how can one drink so much milk?

After a few weeks, Rippetoe assures, you can "go down to just 4,000 cal" which also sounds insane.

How much weight is one expected to gain on such nutrition? Any experiences?

Replies

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    1.) what is YOUR GOAL.

That will really help us narrow down our answers for you.

GOMAD is great for young guys- late late teens into early twenties- with minimal strength training just getting started looking to maximize their youth and muscle growth.

GOMAD (gal of milk a day) is also great for hard gainers/hard bulkers- it's a way to drink calories- eating that much food is really hard- so when you can't eat any more- you up your calories through liquids and through high calorie dense foods (typically 'junk' food) For muscle growth or bulking- calorie surplus is king.

GOMAD Is not for someone who is trying to LOSE weight. Calorie surplus is ONLY for bulking.

If you are just trying to gain strength- and lose weight- continue on your calorie deficit and lift your heart out.

Hopefully that helps?
  • eliben44
    eliben44 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    1.) what is YOUR GOAL.

My goal is to bulk right now. So I'm wondering whether the training program suggested by Starting Strength is achievable without the insanely high caloric intake it recommends. In other sources I read that 20% caloric surplus should be sufficient (so, let's say ~3300 cal if my basal expedenture is ~2700). The recommendation in Starting Strength seems to go way beyond that.
  • EllaIsNotEnchanted
    EllaIsNotEnchanted Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    1.) what is YOUR GOAL.

My goal is to bulk right now. So I'm wondering whether the training program suggested by Starting Strength is achievable without the insanely high caloric intake it recommends. In other sources I read that 20% caloric surplus should be sufficient (so, let's say ~3300 cal if my basal expedenture is ~2700). The recommendation in Starting Strength seems to go way beyond that.

Just like going on a deficit. Start slow. While bulking, go up to a manageable surplus. If you are finding results stick with it. If not, slowly keep adding on.

As usual I googled and will provide a link: http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/weik26.htm
  • shor0814
    shor0814 Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    In the 3rd edition he clarifies things. There is also a clarification online:

http://startingstrength.com/articles/clarification_rippetoe.pdf

[quote[I have yet to see someone in that demographic who is eating and resting correctly that is not able to do this. Eating correctly may mean 6000 calories/day with a gallon of whole milk, or it may mean 3500 calories/day on a paleo-type lower carb no-dairy diet, depending on your initial body composition. If this or its equivalent did not happen, you’re not doing the program.[/quote]

If you are a young skinny teen male you can GOMAD and eat like a horse and you will have success, when you get older or already have a lot of mass you shouldn't aim lower because you don't have the metabolism of a 16 year old.

Remember, the program was designed for strength training (think high school football) and you have to adjust based on your goals.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    1.) what is YOUR GOAL.

well any bulk requires a surplus- but no it doesn't not need to be so excessive- as already posted that is directed specifically toward younger males new to lifting trying to get max results from a lifting program.

check out the gaining section of the forum- you'll see a lot of great advice from some very experienced people.

The principle as the same for deficit- only in reverse.

Figurey our maintance and then add at LEAST 200 calories to that. Most men can comfortably bulk around 400 calorie surplus.

It's a common mistake to under estimate your surplus- and go to small- which your body will absorb and shuffle into NEAT category (which is like mindless figetting as your body tries to burn that small surplus)

Also don't forget to reevaluate your numbers either scale or tape- if you aren't seeing growth after 3-4 weeks- it's time to up by another 100-150 calories.

bulking- much like cutting- you're target goal is a moving target- as you gain- you need to up your calories.
  • eliben44
    eliben44 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the replies :-)