Anyone go by measuring tape & not the scale for maintenance?

Options

Replies

• jpapp13
    jpapp13 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I'm still early on in maintenance so I do both weigh and measure, over the last few months I've gained back about 6-8 pounds from my lowest weight BUT am wearing the same size.

I weigh myself daily to get a good reference for fluctuations and have started measuring monthly as I've started to incorporate heavy lifting 2x a week ...

Good Luck!
  • ravennessa
    ravennessa Posts: 13
    Options
    I am too klutsy to use the tape, I invested in a scale that measures body fat % for me.. So I hadn't lost a lot of weight (I lift weights at the gym), but I had last body fat % in that week and gained muscle mass % I go by that/clothes/and daily weight, and Im well aware of the 5-8 lbs daily changes my body can make.. Esp on a certain week of the month LOL

But you need to do what makes you feel better.. You need to pick what is motivating.. <3
  • dwh77tx
    dwh77tx Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    I am in maintenance basically, but I haven't weighed myself in about 3 months. I go by my clothes. Trust me, my jeans and fitted pants don't lie. The scale was driving me crazy and I refused to let it!
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    I measure status or progress in a few different ways.
    Weight daily, tape measurements monthly, body fat analysis (BodPod) 6 monthly, VO2 max scores, weights lifted, resting heartrate. You might be able to guess that I like data....

By the way - tape measurements can lie too. My 'chest' measurement stayed the same when I lost fat off my chest and added muscle on to my lats.

I wish I had taken regular progress photos as changes at maintenance can be quite subtle. I can see changes in muscle definition and vascularity but they are hard to put a number on.
  • JenniBaby85
    JenniBaby85 Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    I just use the tape measure, but that's because our scale died and we need a new one :laugh: . I do prefer this method better though!
  • blessed0910
    Options
    I need to do both myself because I have been so upset with how the scales has been doing me. I lost 20 lbs then like 2 days later gained back 4 lbs and have not been able to get it back down. However, I am eating right and exercising almost every day without eating my calories back. At least I know I am not alone in the frustrations of the scale.
  • RacerX_14
    RacerX_14 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    I go by whether or not my pants are looser or tighter. I use the scale just to monitor weight to see if I'm making the muscle weight gains that I am striving for.
  • cathysteinhilb1
    Options
    yes! especially now that you may have reached your "optimal weight" , the scale will fluctuate daily for many reasons Im sure you are aware. The tape never lies :)
  • Grumpsandwich
    Grumpsandwich Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    im OCD with my scale. Stepping on it reminds me every day and seeing the numbers of why I am doing what im doing. Its my motivation. I measure about once a month. I get depressed though when my measurements dont change. But I am at a point now where i may lose 1 more inch or 2 around the waist and not much else where unless I have skin removal ( I pretty much just have the donut shaped fat pocket around my navel left)
  • PinkyFett
    PinkyFett Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    I need tell start doing this
  • kofiannans_hitman
    Options
    Yes. I am a big guy muscular wise believe it or not under all this fat. The scale will never be my friend. The tape and calipers are what I go by.
  • Kitteneyes01
    Kitteneyes01 Posts: 125
    Options
    Makes no difference to me. If I gain a kilo I gain a centimetre around the waist as well. :)
  • marvelyf
    marvelyf Posts: 1
    Options
    I, too, weigh in everyday. I have 2 different scales and they are always off. I started the tape measure method a week ago. My waist went from 36 inches to 32 inches. That is keeping me more motivated and inside the gym more than on the couch.
  • broox80
    broox80 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    The measuring tape keeps me sane. I just started lifting a month or so ago, so the scale fluctuates a lot!!! I measure once a month right before TOM ( a week or so before) and in the morning. I record this as well as my weight. It just makes me realize that I am still losing even if the scale is being a douche!!!
  • rrobsgirl
    rrobsgirl Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I use a combination. The scale discourages me from losing weight. I weigh once a week on Friday and use a measuring tape to check results midweek. Works much better.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    I use both. Measurements take longer to change (and haven't changed much in maintenance anyway) so the scale is more useful to me on a day to day basis. I've been weighing daily (more or less) for a long time, so I understand water weight fluctuations and there's no reason for them to upset me or make me anxious.
  • shellyburger
    shellyburger Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I have a disgusting attachment to the scale. I rely on it a bit too much.
    But now that I am pretty much at my goal weight, I've started using the measuring tape more.
    Seeing the numbers change there (and on the size of my clothes) makes me feel way better than the scale ever did.
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    I use a combination of them.

The scale tells be the relationship between my intake, exercise, and metabolism.

The tape tells me how much body fat I have. I've experienced going up and down enough now that I pretty much know exactly what measurements all the visual plateaus are at; at ~36" I can see my abs flexed, at about 33" I get hints of them unflexed, at 32" I can see them unflexed quite clearly.
  • Kimblesnbits
    Kimblesnbits Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I use my Accu Measure calipers. One pinch in the same spot tells the tale! No need to weigh or measure.

Is that the body fat % calipers? I thought you have to pinch at the arms, tummy and back? Where did you get yours?
  • JenniferIsLosingIt
    JenniferIsLosingIt Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    yes I was just thinking about this, thank you for reminding me!! I will pick up a measuring tape on the way home today. The scale is just too unforgiving sometimes whether you're holding water or it is just a different time of day it can be discouraging. I haven't measured in a while so it will be interesting to see.

:)

Agreed 100% I have battled weight my entire life and the scale is my mortal enemy! I weigh once a month and have started measurements, which will be updated weekly. I have a workout and accountability buddy who has been helping me stay in check. I feel it is working wonders! If it is causing stress ditch it, stress makes you fat! LOL! Good luck!