nutrition drinks

Options
zilkah
zilkah Posts: 207 Member
so I have a problem with eating breakfast and I bought these, here's a link: https://www.carnationbreakfastessentials.com/Products/Powder/Classic-French-Vanilla/Nutrition.aspx

how do you guys feel in general about liquid nutrition stuff like this? I find that they don't fill me up much but I know my diet isn't that balanced and I appreciate the extra vitamins and potassium/protein. I also like protein shakes after my workout. Is it okay to use something like this as one of my meals or should I try to stay away?

Replies

• geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    What problem do you have with eating breakfast?

I solve this 'problem' by not eating Breakfast :) - works very well for me and many others.

Getting a good range of micro and macronutrients is important - if this helps you to do it, I'd be confident you'll be better off than not drinking them.
  • karlalband
    karlalband Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Add some fruit or granola. Try the Carnation Sugar Free. Be careful cause you can add up a lot of calories fast. But they taste great!
  • mathjulz
    mathjulz Posts: 5,514 Member
    Options
    If it fits in your calories and macros and helps you stay on track the rest of the day, then I don't see anything wrong with it. A lot of these kinds of shakes can have a lot of sugar - which is okay, nothing wrong with some sugar, but do be aware of how that fits into your goals for the day (specifically, carb macro)
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,375 Member
    Options
    Why do you have a problem eating breakfast? My other question would be, why do you drink those as a meal if they don't fill you up?
  • stevee290
    stevee290 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I am lazy in the morning I usually just have a glass of milk or water with whey.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    God I love those things. LOVE the taste. But yeah i used to have those as a kid on the run out the door on the way to practice. then i'd eat a second breakfast after practice and before class. didn't fill me up but kept me from fainting on hot mornings that were so early i'm not used to waking up that early.

as a meal in itself i'm not sure it has enough fiber to keep you satisfied and depending on what kind of milk not enough fat either. try it as a snack instead.
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    Options
    God I love those things. LOVE the taste. But yeah i used to have those as a kid on the run out the door on the way to practice. then i'd eat a second breakfast after practice and before class. didn't fill me up but kept me from fainting on hot mornings that were so early i'm not used to waking up that early.

as a meal in itself i'm not sure it has enough fiber to keep you satisfied and depending on what kind of milk not enough fat either. try it as a snack instead.

I loved them! My mom used to make them for us when we were kids, too. Now it would be the same as having a glass of Ovaltine. And Ovaltine would be cheaper.

ETA I mean for me, satiety-wise.
  • FarmallMom71
    FarmallMom71 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I don't like breakfast either - I've gone so far as to make homemade healthy breakfast cookies (eat a cookie works for me...or homemade energy balls/bars... prepackage in tiny ziplocks so don't over eat), handful of nuts, spoonful of peanut or nut butter, anything to get out of breakfast - I agree with the fiber lack in most drinks though. - My usual is coffee and a handful of nuts I have pre measured the night before... sometimes I chase that with a "fast fruit" like apple or pear that I can grab and go ... I do not care for breakfast foods either and I force myself to eat eggs.
  • GingerLolita
    GingerLolita Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    I agree that they're not very filling. I try to get all my nutrients from whole foods instead. There's no rule that you need to eat as soon as you wake up.
  • zilkah
    Options
    sorry yes I bought the sugar free one! I have been putting it in a cup of almond milk.

What I mean by "problem eating breakfast" is usually I walk my dog immediately after I wake up and sometimes that means going over an hour without eating because I'm gone, and then I either forget to eat after that (for some reason brisk walking makes me not hungry) or figure it's late enough to just wait for lunch - I can chug these down pretty fast before our walk - so I was just looking for something really quick. I suppose a granola bar works too but I usually eat those as snacks in the afternoon and I can only eat so many before I get sick of them.

Anywho my trainer I used to have said that it's crucial I try to eat at least something for breakfast vs waiting a few hours for lunch to get the metabolism going and these are really fast. I'm really a nutrition noob.
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    Options
    You don't "have" to eat breakfast if you feel ok doing so. Plenty of people train fasted with no problem. People who do Intermittent Fasting don't eat breakfast when they wake up, either. It's really a matter of preference, as long as you're eating enough when you do eat, so that you meet your nutritional needs. I think it takes at least a couple of days of not eating before your metabolism starts slowing down. Don't take my word on that one, but it's something like that. I'd look for a link, but I need to run.
  • zilkah
    Options
    okay thank you! looks like it won't be an issue
  • citrusy
    citrusy Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I have trained fasted and while sometimes I feel a little weak going into it I always come out feeling like a million bucks!
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    Anywho my trainer I used to have said that it's crucial I try to eat at least something for breakfast vs waiting a few hours for lunch to get the metabolism going and these are really fast. I'm really a nutrition noob.
    As above, unfortunately they were way out of date - it's been many times shown this isn't the case.

As it goes, for more serious exercise I DO find it helps for me to have eaten something.
    This has been tested 'blind' - a couple of running events I've attempted without eating first thinking I'd be find and found my performance to be pretty poor - I've learnt my lesson since.
    However, a social club run I've found I can generally manage 10k or a bit more, still make an effort going up the hills and be fine.
    Other people are different, of course.

So - if you are fine with it (and for a dog walk you should be!), don't stress about it and eat when you want to eat.