How do you account for seasonings/oils?

Options
The question is pretty much in the subject line, but if I'm cooking, for example, some chicken or broccoli on the stovetop with a bit of olive oil in the pan, do I count that oil? It's mostly to prevent sticking, I'm not frying anything by any means. Same goes with seasonings, if it's just "salt to taste" should it be counted separately?

I'm assuming it's fairly negligible, but every bit adds up. I've just looked at some random open diaries to see if I saw a pattern, but didn't notice things like olive oil and salt being counted

Thanks for your help!

Replies

• sugarlemonpie
    sugarlemonpie Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Things like a pinch of salt and most seasonings (simple herbs and spices) I don't include.

Things like oil in the pan to prevent sticking, yes. If you add 1 tablespoon of oil to the pan, include it to the recipe. This is because even though you aren't frying your food, it still coats it and you do ingest it.

If you are using seasoning packets, include them. This is because a lot of time they have added sugars and other things that have calories, not just herbs and spices.
  • caitology
    caitology Posts: 50
    Options
    I don't add salt, but I have to add oil and butter when used. They're too high in calories to leave out.