Confused

Options
I have been reading the forums for months, and I am still very confused. Is the only thing that matters a calorie deficit? So if I eat below my calorie count everyday and then go over in some areas (like protein or sugar or sodium) will I still lose weight?

Replies

• ravenmiss
    ravenmiss Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Yes.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    That is correct
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    If you go over on the sodium, it could retain water weight. Make sure you drink plenty of water to flush it out.
  • mulecanter
    mulecanter Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    Yes. Eating more protein will help you not binge--protein helps you feel satisfied longer.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    I have been reading the forums for months, and I am still very confused. Is the only thing that matters a calorie deficit? So if I eat below my calorie count everyday and then go over in some areas (like protein or sugar or sodium) will I still lose weight?
    Sure will.
  • bajoyba
    bajoyba Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    Yes.

Protein, Fat, and Carbs (which includes sugar and fiber) are what make up your calorie intake for the day. Protein and Carbs have 4 calories per gram and Fat has 9 calories per gram. Those 3 macronutrients can make up your diet in any ratio you like, and if you are eating at a calorie deficit, you will lose weight.
    Tracking sodium or other micronutrients can be helpful from a health or nutriton standpoint, and high sodium levels may cause you to retain water weight, but those things do not contain calories and will not affect your actual weight loss. :smile:
  • anaisbutterfly7
    anaisbutterfly7 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone!