misplaced anger

Options

Replies

• PinkCupcakes84
    PinkCupcakes84 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    She did cheat and your success will be earned through hard work. Plus give her a few years the weight will come back always does. Most gbs patients don't change their diet lifestyle after surgery and put most of the weight back on.

+1

+1 weight loss surgery is cheating and doesn't address the issues at hand. I know first hand because my mother (rip) had one.
  • PinkCupcakes84
    PinkCupcakes84 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Watch her eat sometime. Watch as she has tiny portions of food because eating any more will cause her physical pain. Not because she has the willpower to eat moderately. She gave up and said she has no control over her own eating, so she had a surgeon slice her open and hack away at her insides.

She'll generally be too weak to exercise. She'll lose lots of muscle along with fat. She'll have digestive issues and other physical problems.

And you'll keep losing weight on your own terms. You can still eat the foods you want. You can fuel your body properly and have a good workout. You can build muscle. You can be fit and happy and know that you did it all yourself. Your weightloss won't be because of some surgical procedure. It'll be because of the work you put in.

This ^^

Double this ????????????????
  • 1princesswarrior
    1princesswarrior Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    She did cheat and your success will be earned through hard work. Plus give her a few years the weight will come back always does. Most gbs patients don't change their diet lifestyle after surgery and put most of the weight back on.

QFT
  • 1princesswarrior
    1princesswarrior Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    Chances are also less likely that you'll have to deal with excess skin when you're done losing weight because you are losing slower allowing your skin to shrink with your body.
  • morehealthymatt
    morehealthymatt Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    In the long run, you're doing it better. You are learning new, better, healthier habits that you will have for life. She didn't.

When you are smaller than her without surgery, she'll be the one crying...if that is what you ultimately want.

She will know you didn't take an "easier paty" - but she had did.

A year from now, at the next family gathering, when people ask how you each lost weight, you'll explain it loud and proud .

Will sis?

But, there are other issues at play here, as you well know.
  • dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    Lets stop trying to rationalize it. Plain and simple, You are jealous. This is not necessarily a bad thing, it is a normal feeling. If it was my sister - i would feel the same way! lol We are sisters, of course we get jealous between the two of us.

Often the feeling of jealousy comes when you feel threatened, threatened that she will take away your "light" or attention/praise from others? Threatened that she will become more attractive? Either way, that is for you to figure out.

I am not trying to be above others, I had to deal with my issues with jealousy in the past. It was very beneficial and has made a huge impact on my self-esteem when I realized why I was jealous by others. I also have since stopped comparing myself to others (well at least now when I do compare, it is not always in such a negative way.)
  • greenmonstergirl
    greenmonstergirl Posts: 619 Member
    Options
    Forty two pounds is not chump change so to speak. Think of your husband. Think of your doctor. Think of how far you have come. Stop thinking about your sister - we cannot pick our relatives. I can understand why it is irritating but do not let it sabotage you.

And think of her big hospital bill she is paying for that surgery!!!!
  • liekewheeless
    liekewheeless Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty close to my sister so this doesn't really compare but,...

When we were younger, she was much taller than me and always lighter. I was not heavy, just more solid and she was a bean stalk. I always thought it was funny she was skinnier.

When a couple of years ago, she became heavier than me, I have to admit a little feeling of joy on my part since we were now more equal.

I don't feel that way anymore because she has severe physical problems (not due to her weight) and a thyroid problem keeping her from losing. I would much rather she be back to her former skinny self because it would be much less painful for her.

Feel good about your weight loss and your new life, you earn every bit of it. Be happy she got the surgery she probably needed and hope she is able to keep it off for her health.
  • tycho_mx
    tycho_mx Posts: 426 Member
    Options

Cheating... CHEATING??? So what did she win? What did she take from you? What glorious accolade was snatched from your deserving hands, to be ignominiously delivered to the usurper's hands?

Oh yeah, your weight loss. Your OWN weight loss. Mind you, if you had wagered something significant, ignore my attempt to ridicule this situation. In that case that should be rectified. But if the idea is for you to lose weight for your own reasons, it's irrelevant what your sister, Oprah, or the biggest loser do or do not. No one can take that from you.

Well, nevermind me asking then. So are people that have no kids cheating you because they can devote more time to working out and planning meals? How about people that have complicated jobs (e.g. oil rig workers) - are we all cheating on them? Are you cheating on those that through no fault of their own were raised in a family with no clue about nutrition? Am I cheating because my wife is a great cook that can make delicious, low calorie meals? Or maybe we are cheating on those who have suffered from abuse s that derives in eating disorders.

Based on the "+1s" on cheating this clearly is not going to sit well. But for "cheating" to happen in this context there has to be winners and losers. If you sibling rivalry extends to an unofficial weight loss contest... well, that's just idiotic.
  • Flab2Fab27
    Flab2Fab27 Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    6a00d8341c5e0053ef01538ff22b39970b-320wi

Seriously though, I would be frustrated as well. Losing weight through diet and exercise is NOT easy and takes time and patience. Think about how much more satisfying it'll feel for you when you reach your goal weight and didn't do it with surgery.

Keep up your awesome work!
  • bikermike5094
    bikermike5094 Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options

This is quite possibly the most ignorant thing I have read in a long time. Thanks for the laugh.

yeah.. i have to agree.. total ignorance and very judgmental.
  • kbeloved
    kbeloved Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Your feelings are valid. Of course you are holding some ill-will. You're working towards a goal with self control and discpline while they opted for the easy way out. Yes I know surgery is not easy blablablah. But keep in mind that you reap what you sow, although you are not losing weight instantaneously as we all would like you are improving your self. You're improving your mind as well as your body through hard work, and that is gold right there. You are teaching yourself a lifestyle change, you're not using the "magic pill" you are doing what everyone should, you're taking control and doing it the right way. I'm not trying to bash on people who opt for surgery, as my mom did the lapband surgery (which ultimately had severe consequences) but she is now 150lbs lighter mainly with diet and exercise. By taking control yourself you are more likely to keep the weight off. Awesome job at recognizing your feelings. FEEL THEM DON'T EAT THEM1!! ;DDD
  • pattycakes726
    pattycakes726 Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Your sister didn't have surgery to spite you. She did it because she determined it was the best choice for her. You've decided on another path. Live and let live. There is nothing to be angry about.
  • RockWarrior84
    RockWarrior84 Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    suck_it_trebek_by_anthos92-d5ru7ov.jpg
  • feliscatus84
    feliscatus84 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    You know OP, I'm not going to tell you things like "Oh you'll look better than her" or "she will fail" because that just fuels the fire. What I will tell you is that I think the relationship you have with your sister could be better. I think the first step could be talking about your struggles with weight and food together. You never know what you guys could bond on and maybe this is a good place to start. I know you said your relationship wasn't the best and I think building that rapport with each other could be a good thing. And I also say don't let the negativity take up your head space. Push the toxicity out. You should be proud of your achievements. Not because they are better than anyone else's but because dammit you're doing it for yourself and for the right reasons.
  • NH_Norma
    NH_Norma Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Maybe it is jealousy, I don't know. If I knew for sure what it was, I could likely sort it out easier.

I definitely want her to have a healthier life, and I said so in my original post.
    I am happy that she is in better health

It is highly unlikely we will "repair" any relationship. She happily abused her daughter and left her home alone on numerous occasions as a toddler, as well as left her for days on end in a home with a known pedophile. This child was removed from her care years ago by me and another sister (who ultimately adopted her). She willfully ignores this girl at family events, not even wiling to treat her as a niece. :angry: So no, I have no respect for her and will not seek to build a relationship. To those who have lost family members, my condolences on your loss. :flowerforyou: I've also lost a brother and both parents, so I understand the reality that can come.

I absolutely value what I have and know that everything I have and do, I earn (good and bad). I understand the path she took is hers, and mine is mine. I don't want her to struggle with effects of the surgery she chose. I guess I just don't want to see her successful without working her *kitten* off for it when there is no need for her to not put in the hard work. She has no children, and she works only part time. She has a history of taking all she can get for free, and lying to get it, and I expect the taxpayers paid for the surgery. I don't respect her. I imagine she finds me a judgmental *****, and maybe she's right. :bigsmile:

I guess I just needed to acknowledge my feelings out loud, and yes, "feel it, don't eat it" as one person commented. Perhaps this really was the best option for her, and if so, I'm glad she did it. Really. My feelings can be valid while still not wishing her ill will. Life isn't black and white, and I can usually see both sides of everything; that's maybe part of the reason these emotions are so perplexing to me.

I'm rambling, but wanted to share a bit more about my feelings because I think I was misunderstood. Or maybe not, and I'm in denial about what I'm feeling. Either way, thank you all for your thoughtful responses, especially the ones that didn't sugarcoat it. I'm a very direct person and appreciate the same even if I disagree! :drinker:
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    Go out for a larger meal that fits into your calories - and then enjoy the fact that you can still eat a large meal and aren't physically limited to eating only a tiny amount of food because you surgically altered the size of your stomach. I'm not going to trash someone who got a gastric bypass because some people see that as their only option, but I'm definitely not going to be jealous of them either because in my mind that's a last resort and comes with serious drawbacks.

Lose the weight without surgery, be proud of your accomplishments and keep your focus on yourself. Just my $0.02.
  • geekishgirl
    geekishgirl Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Just my two cents on this.

My dad had GPS 5 years ago. It was not something he wanted to do, it was something he had to do. Most of my life I remember him being on one diet or another and failing. For many years this was his fault, and he admitted and accepted that. When his weight became a much much more serious issue (he was given 5 years to live at the age of 55 due to health complications from being overweight) I saw him really really try. When doing it on his own did not work because of other health issues I watched him struggle to make a choice he considered as "cheating", having the surgery. He did classes and therapy for a year. He finally lost some weight on his own and then he had the surgery. It was a hard choice for him to make. Because he was so invested by the time he had the surgery, I am happy to say that 5 years later he has kept it off and is healthier than ever. That took work on his part and I'm very proud of him for doing it and continuing to do it. I hope your sister is like him 5 years from now.

Now I am on my own weight loss journey. Surgery is not an option for me. First because I don't meet the requirements, and second, after watching how difficult the entire process was for my dad I decided that was not a road I wanted to go down. I am still in the beginning stages of my journey but already my dad has told me how proud he is of me for doing something he knows he could not. Perhaps your sister feels the same way but it's harder for her to say to you than it is for my dad (who is used to being proud of his kids, not competitive with them) to say to me.

At the end of the day, what's really important is health. You and your sister's path to health has been different. Just like mine and my dad's. That doesn't mean that we can't be proud of each other and support each other in reaching and maintaining our goals.

Be angry for a bit. It's ok. But then...
    1) Be proud of yourself. You're doing an amazing job and you have every right and reason to celebrate that! You're making the tough changes on your own and that takes lots of determination and willpower.
    and 2) Be proud of your sister for making a change. Just because she did it with a little more help doesn't mean she doesn't need support, just like you do.

I hope this helps! No matter what, don't give up. Don't be discouraged. Make your changes long term and hope that hers are too. that way you both can live long lives and compete over who has the cutest grandchildren or who grows the better tomatoes :tongue:
  • Tigg_er
    Tigg_er Posts: 22,001 Member
    Options
    My sister, who I was very close to, recently lost her battle with Leukemia. Every moment of every day, I miss her. Maybe you should consider repairing your relationship with your sister. Perhaps it would then make the weight loss less of a competition (sibling rivalry at it's finest! :smile: ) and it could become something you can share. Then it wouldn't matter how either of you lost it, but that you're positive support for each other. Best of luck in your weight loss journey!

Yes you can never tell what will happen tomorrow , sometimes tomorrow is to late. I think the way you feel is just part of being a human being, but the way you handle it will tell if you are a real person. Dont feel guilty of your feelings just work towards making them the right ones. Your accomplishments speaks for themselfs.
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    You are letting someone else's positive accomplishment make you jealous and upset instead of being happy for them and congratulating them.