Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Lift heavier, run faster but lost weight...

Hi all,

This week I lost a couple of pounds. But my performance at the gym are getting better: I lift heavier weight and run faster. How can you explain this?

I went on holidays two weeks ago and gained a couple pounds when I come back which is quite normal. Do you think I lost the water weight I gained during my holiday?

The strange thing is I have been increasing the food since my return. Trying to eat more high protein stuff and have 4 meals a day.

Thanks,
Jamal

Replies

• Cortelli
    Cortelli Posts: 1,369 Member
    I continued to gain strength (lift heavier weight) more or less throughout a 6+ month calorie deficit. Strength gains and mass gains are not the same thing -- a big chunk of the improvements that generate strength gains are central nervous system improvements: your body learns how to better recruit existing muscle fiber and better coordinate that existing muscle fiber to complete the tasks it is being asked to do (i.e., lift heavier weights). Eventually you will reach a point where continued strength increases will not be possible without adding new muscle, but that "eventually" can be quite some time for someone new to lifting (or returning after a long hiatus).
  • caesar164
    caesar164 Posts: 312 Member
    Do you run a lot? I would cut down if you do, if you want to gain..,
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    if you are losing or maintaining and not gaining- you need to eat more.

and Caesar is correct- you might not want to be running so much - more running means more food. (which is great when you are cutting and want to eat more- but not so good when you're already over eating)
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Maybe the extra food was fueling your workouts but not weight gain because you were burning the cals?
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    How stable was your weight before you started trying to gain? Fluctuating over a few pounds is totally normal for some people. It's the overall trend line you need to worry about, not any single data point.
  • Jamal_Guildford
    Jamal_Guildford Posts: 214 Member

I run 1h30 per weeek.
  • Jamal_Guildford
    if you are losing or maintaining and not gaining- you need to eat more.

and Caesar is correct- you might not want to be running so much - more running means more food. (which is great when you are cutting and want to eat more- but not so good when you're already over eating)

I already replaced cardio session with weight lifting. Should I totally remove cardio?
  • Jamal_Guildford
    How stable was your weight before you started trying to gain? Fluctuating over a few pounds is totally normal for some people. It's the overall trend line you need to worry about, not any single data point.

Since I started a new job, I find it quite hard to maintain my weight....
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Running = Cardio
    Cardio = High calorie burn
    High calorie burn = Lower net calories
    Lower net calories = No gains

Either eat more or run less.

And yes, I'd think the weight you lost was just water weight from your vacation.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    Getting stronger does not necessitate getting bigger...I mean, at some point it does, but you can get stronger without getting bigger or gaining weight for a long time.

I'm assuming you're trying to bulk...so you're going to have to either eat more or run less...with all of that running, you are substantially increasing your calorie requirements to bulk and it can be difficult to meet those big intake requirements day in and day out consistently enough to actually bulk.
  • Jamal_Guildford
    Getting stronger does not necessitate getting bigger...I mean, at some point it does, but you can get stronger without getting bigger or gaining weight for a long time.

I'm assuming you're trying to bulk...so you're going to have to either eat more or run less...with all of that running, you are substantially increasing your calorie requirements to bulk and it can be difficult to meet those big intake requirements day in and day out consistently enough to actually bulk.

I would like at least to maintain my weight. I have to prepare for a triathlon end of September. After that I may start a serious program to bulk with almost no cardio. Summer is not really the best period to bulk.....
  • Jamal_Guildford
    Running = Cardio

And yes, I'd think the weight you lost was just water weight from your vacation.

Keep eating more, I already reduced the cardio. I have a triathlon end of september so I cant afford to give up on running. Maybe after I will start a serious program to gain weight.
  • caesar164
    caesar164 Posts: 312 Member

I would like at least to maintain my weight. I have to prepare for a triathlon end of September. After that I may start a serious program to bulk with almost no cardio. Summer is not really the best period to bulk.....

Gaining weight and bulking up is not your thing bro... Your into these triathlons and marathons and **** man, these goals don't equate to making gains bro! You have to be about your calories!! Your intense training sessions without cardio! Why without cardio? Because cardio robs you of strength and intensity; you need to train balls to the wall to make gains! Lastly, you have to be about your rest... This is when you grow... Your not going to grow runningiron mans...
  • Jamal_Guildford

Gaining weight and bulking up is not your thing bro... Your into these triathlons and marathons and **** man, these goals don't equate to making gains bro! You have to be about your calories!! Your intense training sessions without cardio! Why without cardio? Because cardio robs you of strength and intensity; you need to train balls to the wall to make gains! Lastly, you have to be about your rest... This is when you grow... Your not going to grow runningiron mans...

Thanks for your advice. As I said, summer is not really the best period to bulk up. I need to think about my training program, I may start a serious program to gain weight after the thriatlon.
  • jimbmc
    jimbmc Posts: 83 Member
    Agree with the answers on here tbh.

Running is basically a weightloss/Fitness activity. It will help your Heart and Lungs. Too much running is going to burn up those calories that are needed to help fuel and repair your muscle tissue you use during your lifting sessions.

From what i've leaned over the years, if you want to be a serious lifter and make serious gains, then Running/Jogging should only be used as a bit of a warm up, and to help keep the Body Fat too a minimum.

Generally, if you are going to do 90 mins lifting sessions in structured program, like the 5x5, then running/jogging should be done on the off days, and do no more than 20 mins at a time, at a steady rate. Around 1.5 miles per Jog.

Due to the fact that to make the Muscle Gain, your are eating ALOT of protein rich food, of which maybe 50-60% is absorbed, to help the repair, the other 40% or so is either expelled as waste, or retained by the fat cells, as the body cant process it all. PLus the fact that alot of protein meats still contain fats, so jogging every other day, will help keep those in check.

Just cut your running abit, increase your protein, and focus on your Lifting rather than running. When your running, your not interested in speed, its more about quality, keeping your heart rate steady, and staying in the fat burning zone.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member

I run 1h30 per weeek.

That's around 1000 calories then, hardly a significant amount.

That's from the perspective of doing about 7-8 hrs per week
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Running = Cardio

Keep eating more, I already reduced the cardio. I have a triathlon end of september so I cant afford to give up on running. Maybe after I will start a serious program to gain weight.

not sure why you are trying to bulk AND do a Tri in september? those goals seem at odds for each other.

I do not think you can effectively do both.

Pick a goal.
    Pick a path to get you to the goal.
    Stay on the path till you reach your goal or until you change your goal.
  • LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member

I run 1h30 per weeek.

That's around 1000 calories then, hardly a significant amount.

That's from the perspective of doing about 7-8 hrs per week

From the perspective of someone trying to gain weight, it's pretty significant. But thanks for patting yourself on the back for running 7-8 hours.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    From the perspective of someone trying to gain weight, it's pretty significant. But thanks for patting yourself on the back for running 7-8 hours.

Less than 200 cals a day. That's a couple of pieces of fruit.

Maybe a bit of a reality check in order there.

That said I'd agree the points up thread about goal selection. A decent triathlon performance isn't all that aligned with weight gain. Equally 90 minutes of running per week isn't enough even for a try-tri performance to be particularly credible.
  • LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member

Less than 200 cals a day. That's a couple of pieces of fruit.

Maybe a bit of a reality check in order there.

That said I'd agree the points up thread about goal selection. A decent triathlon performance isn't all that aligned with weight gain. Equally 90 minutes of running per week isn't enough even for a try-tri performance to be particularly credible.

200 cals a day that could be put towards building muscle but instead were used to refuel less manly parts of your body since you decided to run.

Also, 200 cals in a couple of pieces of chicken. Get lifting right, fly boy.