Afraid of going back

Options
Hello All!

I recently hit my goal weight (about 3 weeks ago) and I am deathly afraid of going back (again). I still use MFP to track and maintain my calories. I am fearful to eat the max of my maintenance range because I do not want to go back. I weighed myself a week later, and I lost another pound. One night this week, I binged on some candy. This has happened to me before. I lose weight, hit my goal, then think its ok to fall back into old habits and then a few months later I can't fit into any of my nice new clothes.

Any advice for properly maintaining and not slipping back into old ways!?

Replies

• haildodger
    haildodger Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I would say, update your goal on this site to "maintain" (if you haven't already done so), and continue to use the tools here that lead to your success. You have no reason to panic if you continue to practice good habits.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    Whatever it is you did to lose the weight, just keep doing it (but at maintenance calories, of course.) You can let loose now and then, but as soon as you find your weight creeping up, immediately take control again.

I've been maintaining for over three years now, still logging most days because it's easy and it's a habit now. The first couple of months I had to keep adjusting my calories up until I found that perfect number. (I kept losing weight on what MFP gave me so I bumped it up a bit.) I've managed to maintain within 2 pounds +/- of my goal for all this time. Good luck!
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Be vigilant but not obsessed.
    Allow yourself a sensible range of weight for maintenance, not a single number.
    Don’t freak out over fluctuations or fast changes in weight, if it’s a fast change it’s not fat.
    Set yourself new goals that have nothing to do with weight – channel the effort you put into weight loss into something else (strength, fitness, body composition for example)
    Throw away (or hopefully give away) your old fat clothes.

Always remember you have the tools and the knowledge to control your weight. One meal, one day, one week can’t undo all your good work.
  • jrniven
    jrniven Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I feel ya. I after losing a ton of weight am on a clean bulk the last couple of months. Want to talk about a mind ****. Being fat all my life then thin putting on weight gives me unrealistic anxiety. Just watch your calories, and live with moderation.
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,039 Member
    Options
    I had to set new goals. For me, I will log every day , one day at time, one meal at a time, for the rest of my life. That's a minimum.

I wear a Nike Fuel Band. I will wear always wear some sort of device that tracks my activity. I just started logging my activity again. I will also add comments to my daily exercise log as to what i did that day. I am doing more Barre 3 and Yoga every day. This month my husband and I are doing the 30 Day Ab Challenge on Facebook before we eat dinner.

I have been drinking at least 64 ounces of water every day now for about 4 years. I log it.

I am going to bed at the same time every night . I want to get my average sleep time from 6 to 8 hours.

I weigh myself every day and have started logging it again - weekly at least.

These things reduce my panics about regaining weight and focus on maintaining and improving my health. It's a journey.