Anyone had the LapBand?

Options
Hi everyone.

My doctor recommended yesterday that I get the LapBand to help me lose weight because my weight has gotten too out of control and I am unable to exercise due to knee joint pains. I am 27 years old, 5'7 and weigh 325 pounds. I shouldn't be having knee problems (but it's no wonder I am with how much I weigh).

I was wondering if anyone on here has had the LapBand and did it help? What was your experience with it?

Any information/advice helps.

Thanks!!!

Replies

• missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    I haven't had it, but I'm sure there's other posts on the topic! If you use the "search" bar, and type in "LapBand", you can find other threads related to your question.

It's an older thread, but here's one:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1040929-anyone-with-a-lapband-for-a-weight-loss-tool?hl=lapband#posts-19494401
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    Do you have any medical issues (cardiac problems, diabetes, etc) that your doctor says you need to lose weight for or is he/she recommending it solely for weight loss?

I know it seems like a great idea because it will work fast, but I don't think it's worth it. You don't need to exercise to lose weight. Count your calories, stay at a deficit, and the weight will come off. Then, when you lose enough to start moving a little more, do it. The time and effort will be worth it in the end.

For reference, I worked with a doctor who did Lapband procedures. I saw a lot of sick, miserable people.
  • HarleyQuinn26
    HarleyQuinn26 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I can walk slowly for exercise. My doctor said I can also do water aerobics because it won't hurt my joints.

I'm going to do the water aerobics and walk for exercise until I can do more strenuous activity.

Thank you all so much for responding and giving me the advice to think about, it has helped in my decision about the LapBand.