lost 3 lbs, gained 3 lbs...in one week, weird!

Options
Really dont know how I did that. Kind of extreme in a few days, not just a a pound and a half, no 3 whole pounds! Sigh.....Got up this morning, feeling really hungry means I probably lost some weight (usual). So the scale pointed that I gained 3 lbs since last Thursday! GRRR

Replies

• Amarillo_NDN
    Amarillo_NDN Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    Losing and gaining 3 lbs in one day is common. A body will always flux up and down in weight depending on so many factors. One reason you don't use the scale to monitor weight loss progress. The scales lie to you. You get on them and think of how much fat you lost for the day. But the scale do not tell you how much fat you lost, they tell you how much your body weighs with include water, muscle, fat, and other things that just happen to be inside you at the time.

Best advice is to forget the scales and pull out the tape measure. It a much better gage of how much fat loss you achieve.
  • mizfit
    mizfit Posts: 118
    Options
    Hello:

Basically the same thing happened to me a few weeks ago and for me it was water retention.
    I couldn't understand how I gained when I had such a great week and then I read a post sent in by someone titled "Maintanance-how is this possible" (you can look up this up under search and see MFP members responses). The main response was water retention and sure enough when I checked my salt intake it was really high that week. I now keep better watch of my sodium intake and it has made a difference for me.
  • cycle4fun
    Options
    Thanks!! You both are right. It makes sens, Amarillo, and I love your advice! Mizfit, I just checked my food and especially salt intake which was unusual high compared to what I normal eat. I love salty food but I think this week I really going to cut down and see what happens. Again, thanks for my much better start of the day! Have a good one!
  • SharonsJetSet
    Options
    Someone recently recommended getting a "myotape". Its supposed to be one of the best ways to measure your body (thigh, waist) in inches gained or loss.
  • potluck965
    potluck965 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Someone recently recommended getting a "myotape". Its supposed to be one of the best ways to measure your body (thigh, waist) in inches gained or loss.

I like the myotape very much. :)
  • CroakerNorge
    CroakerNorge Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Weigh in only on your actual weigh in day, UNLESS you can handle the (sometimes hourly) fluctuations.
    It sounds like you can't. Some people are motivated by the false numbers they read daily, other's can't really handle it.
    Be consistent about your weigh ins and you should have success in the long run.
  • cycle4fun
    Options
    Weigh in only on your actual weigh in day, UNLESS you can handle the (sometimes hourly) fluctuations.
    It sounds like you can't. Some people are motivated by the false numbers they read daily, other's can't really handle it.
    Be consistent about your weigh ins and you should have success in the long run.

Its not so much that I can't handle it, more that it kind of puzzled me. I have lost weight quite consistent but the last few days this is what happened. It makes much more sense knowing about the salt intake, so I am going to change that right away.