Training when not feeling great.

estelle74uk
estelle74uk Posts: 465 Member
edited September 22 in Fitness and Exercise
Hi, just wondered what people think I should do.

Not sure what I have, maybe a virus or something. Been feeling very tired during the day, sick, had bad stomach cramps for a while, heart pulpatating, just generally run down. Had it for over a week now, my other half has had it too, although he had headaches rather than stomach trouble (I have IBS). We both are not sure what it is. Other half had blood test the other week to find that he had a low white blood cell count and they made him do another one, although he was still ill while doing the second.

Not really sure what that means.

Just didnt know whether to try donig a light train? I havent trained for weeks, and feel too tired, although not sure whether to just do something, ie exercise bike, just to try and perk myself up a bit?

What do u guys think?

Thanks

Replies

• FemininGuns
    FemininGuns Posts: 605 Member
    If you're feeling tired and you haven't worked out - could be that it's not a good idea. If you're tired because you haven't worked out and haven't been eating healthfully - then ya you should get your butt back into the swing of things. If you haven't seen your doc, I would say you would need to start there...
  • JDMPWR
    JDMPWR Posts: 1,863 Member
    Can I see your food log?
  • I've been sick for the past week also....sinusitis i think and even with the bad headaches and stuff I just hated being in the house. A short walk might help. At least you will fell like you've got something accomplished. GET WELL SOON!!!
  • Pinoy_Pal
    Pinoy_Pal Posts: 280 Member
    Go see your doctor...only he/she can determine what's actually going on with you and if you should continue exercising

:o]
  • StuAblett
    StuAblett Posts: 1,141 Member
    It really is a hard call, in general I like to listen to my body, but sometimes my lazy *kitten* talks so loud I can't really hear what my body is saying :wink: :laugh:

One thing you can do is to start whatever your workout is, I have had days when I thought "Screw it, I'm not feeling good..... whine whine whine..." but I did the workout anyways, and part way through, I started to feel much better (come on endorphins!!) but others I've been part way and felt worse, so I stopped.

If you are working out at home, this is fine, but if you think you have a flu or something, please stay away from the gym, nothing you would want to spread around to others.

Are you running a temperature?

I agree you should get to see a doctor.

Best of luck, being sick SUCKS! :sick:
  • estelle74uk
    estelle74uk Posts: 465 Member
    Ok thanks everyone. I decided not to, will give it a couple more days and if im not better will go see the doc. My other half went and they said he had a virus and gave him antibiotics, so maybe I have that as well.
  • glfprncs2
    glfprncs2 Posts: 625 Member
    My rule of thumb (one that my own physician thought was a good plan) is that if my 'illness' is making me feel poorly above the neck (stuffed up, headache, drainage causes a mild sore throat), I workout. If the 'illness' is below my neck (rattle in the lungs, achy, fever, etc.) then I rest.
  • StuAblett
    StuAblett Posts: 1,141 Member
    Ok thanks everyone. I decided not to, will give it a couple more days and if im not better will go see the doc. My other half went and they said he had a virus and gave him antibiotics, so maybe I have that as well.

If it is a virus, antibiotics will do nothing but run your bill up.

I pound Vitamin C when a virus strikes, and the natural stuff, from fruits etc that have lots, not pills.

Best of luck for both of you, being sick sucks.... :grumble:
  • Ms_Natalie
    Ms_Natalie Posts: 1,030 Member
    My rule of thumb (one that my own physician thought was a good plan) is that if my 'illness' is making me feel poorly above the neck (stuffed up, headache, drainage causes a mild sore throat), I workout. If the 'illness' is below my neck (rattle in the lungs, achy, fever, etc.) then I rest.

Yes, this works for me too...I had swine flu last year and thought I'd perked up a little but after a small walk I felt weaker than ever, If you are feeling weak...have plenty of rest..your body needs this to help repair itself and fight infections/viruses.

It wont hurt to have a couple of days rest..it will probably work wonders for you.

Good Luck & Get better soon :flowerforyou:
This discussion has been closed.