This verge article says calorie counting is bad science?

Options
Sometimes I have to do a double take of what I read online. What do you guys think of this article?

http://www.theverge.com/2014/6/3/5763960/calorie-counting-leads-to-bad-science-and-worse-gadgets

Replies

• maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    Two things jumped out at me. The first was the comment about neglecting to log late night calories. That's human user error, not any inherent flaw in counting calories. Then there was the final recommendation:

"You’re better off, argues Nestle, buying a scale to weigh yourself and judging whether to eat more or less by looking at whether you’re gaining or losing weight. It’s a breathtakingly basic approach, but until the technology to achieve true "scientific eating" matures, it’s the best option on the table."

You can still do that with counting calories. And I would argue, you should, otherwise how will you know if you're eating more or less?

I think we all know that this system is not perfectly accurate but it's really the best we've got at the moment. Throwing our hands in the air and hoping for the best isn't going to be better.
  • BigT555
    BigT555 Posts: 2,068 Member
    Options
    yea i agree with the above user, they take a ton of human error as fault of counting calories in this article. and of course the founder of weight watchers is against it, he's losing money because people are getting smart enough to realize counting calories works.
    it also focuses heavily on electronics used to assist counting calories, to which i agree that are just money grabs and are usually unnecessary and inaccurate
  • SKME2013
    SKME2013 Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    http://www.nytimes.com/2011/07/19/health/19brody.html?pagewanted=all&action=click&module=Search&region=searchResults&mabReward=relbias:r,["RI:7","RI:16"]&url=http://query.nytimes.com/search/sitesearch/?action=click&region=Masthead&pgtype=Homepage&module=SearchSubmit&contentCollection=Homepage&t=qry157#/calories%20weight%20loss&_r=0

The above might interest you as well?

This study shows that conventional wisdom — to eat everything in moderation, eat fewer calories and avoid fatty foods — isn’t the best approach,” Dr. Dariush Mozaffarian, a cardiologist and epidemiologist at the Harvard School of Public Health and lead author of the study, said in an interview. “What you eat makes quite a difference. Just counting calories won’t matter much unless you look at the kinds of calories you’re eating.”

So food choices do matter not only the amount of calories.
    Stef.
  • BigT555
    BigT555 Posts: 2,068 Member
    Options
    http://www.nytimes.com/2011/07/19/health/19brody.html?pagewanted=all&action=click&module=Search&region=searchResults&mabReward=relbias:r,["RI:7","RI:16"]&url=http://query.nytimes.com/search/sitesearch/?action=click&region=Masthead&pgtype=Homepage&module=SearchSubmit&contentCollection=Homepage&t=qry157#/calories%20weight%20loss&_r=0

This study shows that conventional wisdom — to eat everything in moderation, eat fewer calories and avoid fatty foods — isn’t the best approach,” Dr. Dariush Mozaffarian, a cardiologist and epidemiologist at the Harvard School of Public Health and lead author of the study, said in an interview. “What you eat makes quite a difference. Just counting calories won’t matter much unless you look at the kinds of calories you’re eating.”

Stef.
    i agree with this to an extent. what you eat does make a difference for general health for sure, but it also effects hormones in your body which may add up to losing or gaining more weight (however minuscule) then something that is considered a healthy food. that being said, if you eat less than tdee you are still going to lose weight no matter what (see the twinkie diet) and i still think counting calories is the best approach due to simplification. if you had to constantly worry about if the foods you eat are considered healthy along with the amount of said food and proper exercise,it would become overwhelming. thats why im sucha fan of calorie counting, it simplifies thing to the point of "eat what you will, but be weary of portions"
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

Stef.

really you are gonna turn a discussion about calorie counting pros and cons into it's your food choices debate...so out.
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    "Counting calories is bad. Just eat less!"

So how are you supposed to know if you're actually eating less if you're not counting calories? Different foods have different caloric densities.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    Didn't rea the whole thing yet, but I saw the blurb "EVEN WEIGHT WATCHERS NOW ACCEPTS THAT CALORIE COUNTING'S A BAD IDEA."

Of course they think it's a bad idea. Calorie counting is free. Not really the best source to get expert opinions on the subject.

Edited to fix the quote from article.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    i agree with this to an extent. what you eat does make a difference for general health for sure, but it also effects hormones in your body which may add up to losing or gaining more weight (however minuscule) then something that is considered a healthy food. that being said, if you eat less than tdee you are still going to lose weight no matter what (see the twinkie diet) and i still think counting calories is the best approach due to simplification. if you had to constantly worry about if the foods you eat are considered healthy along with the amount of said food and proper exercise,it would become overwhelming. thats why im sucha fan of calorie counting, it simplifies thing to the point of "eat what you will, but be weary of portions"

I agree with this. HOW MUCH you eat determines weight loss. WHAT you eat helps determine overall health and can, in a very small way, affect how your body uses the fuel you give it.
  • ekahnicole
    ekahnicole Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Counting calories is what I have done for 420 days, I'd say it's worked rather well dont you think? Haha

You just cant bother listening to every "scientific" article about what's good or bad, over the last 30 years science has changed its mind 100 times about what food is bad for you and what isn't! I grew up being told that eggs were bad for you, a few weeks ago a lady at work was showing me this article talking about how fruit can "ruin your diet", because SHOCKINGLY - fruit actually has calories! So that's why my mentality has just been to try and eat better overall, some days I eat junk, some days I eat super healthy, but every day I am eating healthier than how I ate before I started.

Also a random note about late night calories - just log them as part of the next day, that way you are still accounting for them but you dont have to go back and change your diary for that day and its still possible to stay under your calorie goal for both days :)
  • Mav3rick54
    Mav3rick54 Posts: 180 Member
    Options

So how are you supposed to know if you're actually eating less if you're not counting calories? Different foods have different caloric densities.

OH stop....now you are just being too logical. Where is the science in that?!?! :smile:
  • misstweedy
    misstweedy Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Actually the study does not support the claim that eating everything in moderation and eating fewer calories does not lead to weight loss because, as the original article in the New England Journal of Medicine states, "Total energy intake is not well estimated from dietary questionnaires, nor does it reflect energy balance, which is necessarily codetermined by energy expenditure. Thus, weight change is the best population metric of energy imbalance and at least partly captures energy intake after adjustment for determinants of expenditure (e.g., age, body-mass index, and physical activity)."

http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa1014296?query=TOC&#t=articleTop
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options

Well, obviously you're supposed to eat the exact same foods every day, just less of them. I mean, duh! A varied diet is highly overrated, amirite?
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    Counting calories will have to be done be it mentally, manually, or through some program like Weight Watchers, Jenny Craig, South Beach, NutriSytem, etc. Someone, somewhere will have to count the calories so how could counting calories be bad?
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    It's an interesting article where it brings up the limitations of calorie counting. But it steals a base when it recommends against it. Just because the tool is imperfect doesn't mean it's useless.

As others say, how do you know when you're "eating less" if you're not measuring in some way? That was always my difficulty before I started counting.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    As everyone said... Most people have no idea what they'd have to do to eat less, because they don't realize how much they are eating in the first place. I mean there's the basic stuff like not having seconds, skipping a snack, not eating the whole box of cookies... but how do you know it's enough if you're not counting calories? Because I can tell you that when I was big, doing that would have not helped me lose weight... maintain, perhaps, but that's about it.
  • nilbogger
    nilbogger Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    Right. I'll keep with calorie counting until someone gives me a concrete idea of what I should do instead. Just "eating less" isn't going to cut it.
  • DrJenO
    DrJenO Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    I've said it in a different thread, and I'll say it again here:

It doesn't matter whether you count calories or not; your BODY is certainly keeping up with what you eat and puts on or loses weight accordingly. So I figure I might as well count calories, to make sure I get the results I want.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    Interesting article. I think Nestle means that trying to micromanage your levels of calorie intake and burn (like with a Fitbit or this site) is problematic and it's more important to look at the result than the absolute numbers. E.g., if your Fitbit says 2000 burned and your logging says 1700 taken in and you've been maintaining, forget the levels themselves because they're such rough estimates and realize that you are taking in what you burn and either eat less or move more, regardless of what your math tells you.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    The article is mostly about all those gadgets that claim to know how many caloires you should eat or are eating. And yeah, a lot of those gadgets it mentions are pretty bad science. The margin of error on some is pretty ridiculous.

But even in regards to calorie counting I think the article has some valid points. They are correct that it's not totally accurate, even if the user is 100% diligent about entering what they eat/drink. 100g of golden delicious apple is not always going to contain same calories. Nor is 100g of t-bone beef steak, or 100g of brown rice or 100g of most other foods. So yeah, calorie counting is not an exact science. Surely most people already knew that.

As for the human factor and the tendancy to log incorrectly. Well, you only have to spend a little time on the forums to know that is true. But that doesn't make it bad science. That just means it's not the right tool for those that aren't willing to use it correctly.