Best green smoothie???

Options
dewsmom78
dewsmom78 Posts: 498 Member
Please post the best green smoothie for nutrition and weight loss.

Replies

• BigT555
    BigT555 Posts: 2,068 Member
    Options
    the best one is one that allows you to stay under your calorie goal. anything else is moot
  • dewsmom78
    Options
    Maybe I should clarify. I'm looking for recipes.
  • blueboxgeek
    blueboxgeek Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    This isn't all green but I love it. Few good handfuls of fresh spinach, couple of handfuls of frozen mixed berries and chocolate flavoured almond milk. Very yummy!
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Ben and Jerry's Mint Choc cookie, sleeve of thin mints, little creme de menthe and whipped cream
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Green smoothies don't "help" with weight loss. They can help you get fruits and vegetables in. Weight loss comes from a long-term calorie deficit.

The Vitamix website has a few recipes that are pretty good. They won't make you lose weight, but they are yummy ways to get in vegetables if you don't really like vegetables (like me).
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,324 Member
    Options
    shamrock-shake.jpg

idk about the BEST smoothie, but if you want it green, i used to make fruit smoothies with bananas, strawberries, pineapple juice, vanilla yogurt, and kale. the kale kinda made it green and added some greenery to my intake.
  • blueboxgeek
    Options
    Green smoothies don't "help" with weight loss. They can help you get fruits and vegetables in. Weight loss comes from a long-term calorie deficit.

The Vitamix website has a few recipes that are pretty good. They won't make you lose weight, but they are yummy ways to get in vegetables if you don't really like vegetables (like me).

This is why I have smoothies. I do love some veggies, but not really the green stuff. I love carrots, swede, corn, onion, mushroom, peppers, cauliflower........ but not so much things like spinach, kale, broccoli. So I like that I can have them in a smoothie and they are masked by other flavours.

But yes I totally agree, you still have to count those calories up!
  • hrivera528
    hrivera528 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Look at the 3 day Dr. Oz detox cleanse, the lunch smoothie recipe is actually really good. You won't mind the taste if you like celery cause that really over powers everything else in there (cucumber, coconut oil, lime juice, spinach, green apple, etc). Using that as a substitute to a meal is a great way to lowering calorie intake and get in your vegetables, nutrition and fiber! The recipe make a large amount then I expected, so I got full and stay satisfied for a while. Good luck.
  • ggxx100
    ggxx100 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    Green smoothies are great snacks! Even my junk-food loving fiance enjoys this one:

1 frozen banana
    1 cup almond or coconut milk
    2 tbs Peanut butter or almond butter
    1 tbs cocoa powder
    1/2 avocado
    couple handfuls of spinach
    Ice

It's pretty large for a snack, but it meets my energy/calorie needs as we're very active. It could be a good breakfast for some
  • dewsmom78
    Options
    Ben and Jerry's Mint Choc cookie, sleeve of thin mints, little creme de menthe and whipped cream

And where is the nutrition on this one?

Does everyone on here need to be so sarcastic?
  • dewsmom78
    Options
    This isn't all green but I love it. Few good handfuls of fresh spinach, couple of handfuls of frozen mixed berries and chocolate flavoured almond milk. Very yummy!

Thanks, I will try this!
  • blueboxgeek
    Options
    Green smoothies are great snacks! Even my junk-food loving fiance enjoys this one:

1 frozen banana
    1 tbs cocoa powder
    1/2 avocado
    Ice

It's pretty large for a snack, but it meets my energy/calorie needs as we're very active. It could be a good breakfast for some

This sounds goooooooood! I'd probably do it for breakfast or supper if I'd had a small / early dinner.
  • dewsmom78
    Options

1 frozen banana
    1 tbs cocoa powder
    1/2 avocado
    Ice

Thanks! I am looking for something I can have for breakfast, not just as a snack, so this would be perfect.
  • skullshank
    Options
    Look at the 3 day Dr. Oz detox cleanse, the lunch smoothie recipe is actually really good. You won't mind the taste if you like celery cause that really over powers everything else in there (cucumber, coconut oil, lime juice, spinach, green apple, etc). Using that as a substitute to a meal is a great way to lowering calorie intake and get in your vegetables, nutrition and fiber! The recipe make a large amount then I expected, so I got full and stay satisfied for a while. Good luck.

as long as everyone is aware there are no magic detoxing powers in doing this....
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

Oh, it is void of nutrition, it has no cals, minerals, vitamins at all?
  • fooninie
    fooninie Posts: 291 Member
    Options

1 frozen banana
    1 tbs cocoa powder
    1/2 avocado
    Ice

YUM!!! I'm totally trying this.
  • fooninie
    fooninie Posts: 291 Member
    Options

1 frozen banana
    1 tbs cocoa powder
    1/2 avocado
    Ice

Thanks! I am looking for something I can have for breakfast, not just as a snack, so this would be perfect.

If you are having this as a meal...maybe add some protein to the mix? I doubt this would sustain you as a meal, a snack, ok, but a meal??
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSb8WxQ7KNt1Tql7bUPaCrGsNQh_28P34QLewnFexCqd-eJ8FvxQg
  • skullshank
    Options

Oh, it is void of nutrition, it has no cals, minerals, vitamins at all?

solid recipe to hit your fat and carb macros.
    throw some meat and eggs in there, and we've got a winner!
  • ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    I don't like chewing my greens so I shove as many as possible into a green smoothie every morning:

1 banana, OR peach OR pear
    3/4 cup frozen pineapple
    Berries if you want them
    3 cups of kale/swiss chard/spinach mix
    Water to blend

Be careful with smoothies. The ones you're seeing with a cup of coconut milk, peanut butter, all fruit, juice yogurt etc can easily hit the 500cal mark (this may be fine for some but too many cals for others)