Weight lifting for women

Options
2»

Replies

• ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    Which would be better to start with between strong lifts and new rules of lifting for women?

I would read New Rules for the info, but I would do the Stronglifts program because it's straightforward. New Rules program has a lot of "fluff."
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Which would be better to start with between strong lifts and new rules of lifting for women?

I would read New Rules for the info, but I would do the Stronglifts program because it's straightforward. New Rules program has a lot of "fluff."

My opinion exactly. I read the book. Did the first phase (which is very straightforward and basic), then moved on to Stronglifts.

Here's a good summary of Stronglifts:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/560459-stronglifts-5x5-summary
  • EllaIsNotEnchanted
    EllaIsNotEnchanted Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    If your routine feels good and you are getting benefits I do not see the reason to change it.
    I'm really unsure how effective your training is because you just labeled certain body parts- not specific lifts.

Here are some lifts you can go by:

Presses:
    bench press
    Incline Bench Press; upper chest, front shoulders, back of upper arm
    Decline Bench Press; chest (lower emphasis); front of shoulder; back of upper arm
    close Grip Bench Press; Chest; arms; front of shoulders
    Supine Fly; chest
    Incline Fly; chest
    Press;
    Neck Press; shoulder
    Push Press; Shoulder Girdle

Pulls
    Clean Pulls
    Snatch Pulls
    Bent Over Rows
    Upright Rows; Upper Chest- Shoulder girdle
    Front Lat Pulls (overhand Grip); Back
    Front Lat pulls (underhand Grip); Back
    Seated Cable Rows; BAck
    Bent Arm Pullovers; Chest (outer); back; back shoulder; Tricep (long head)
    Pullups

Squats:
    Front Squat
    Back Squat
    Overhead Squat
    Dead Lift
    Straight Legged Dead Lift
    Step Up; legs
    Leg Lunges; lower body
    Single Leg Squat (body weight)-aka pistol.

Olympic Lifts:
    Snatch Related Lifts-
    Snatch; Total Body
    Power Snatch
    Hang Power Snatch
    Snatch Pull; Leg and Back Strength
    Drop Snatch; Total Body
    Overhead Squats; Total Body
    Snatch Push Press; Shoulder Girdle and Back Strength
    belt Snatch; Hip and Leg musculature
    Clean and Jerk Related; Legs and Back
    Clean
    Power Clean
    Hang Power Clean; Total Body
    clean Pull; Leg and Back
    Push-Jerk; Shoulder Girdle and back
    Jerk
    clean and Jerk; Total Body

Supplementary
    Lying tricep Extension; Back of arm
    Standing Tricep Extension
    Standing Tricep Extenstion (cable)
    Bar Dips
    Standing Arm Curls; Front part of upper and lower arm
    Concentration Curls
    Front Raises; Front of shoulders
    Side Raises; Middle of shoulder
    Bent Over Raises; Back of shoulder
    Shoulder Shrugs; shoudler girdle
    Leg Curl; legs
    Leg Extension
    Calf Raises

Core
    Good Mornings; Back
    Back Extensions
    glute-Hamstring Extensions
    Situps
    V-ups
    Trunck Curls
    Leg Raises
    roman Chair

I. Build yourself a solid foundation. Adapt to your new established program. Give the body an opportunity to adapt to additional stress. General conditioning can be anything really- 3x10 is a safe conditioning.

II. Give yourself some variability and options for adaptation
    You can- change sequence of exercises (Monday shall be medium exertion, Wednesday should be heavy, Friday shall be light).
    You can change core exercises
    You can change number of workouts per week
    or my favorite, change rest time between sets.

Really, I see nothing wrong with your routine. I just do not know your routine when you just list general body parts.
  • perfectlytrained
    perfectlytrained Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Define new... I am no stranger to lifting but I don't consider myself advanced. I just decided to split my routines because I felt it would be more effective and I would have more energy to dedicate to that muscle group.

IMO a newbie is someone who hasn't been lifting for at least 6 months - and by 6 months I mean consistency on a good lifting program with progression. Not running from machine to machine in a gym or doing a Jillian Michaels DVD program.

Protein Synthesis (rebuilding of muscle) takes 48 hours, 72 hours tops if you're really using a lot of volume. That said, you will see the best results working a muscle group every 2-3 days, not every 7 days. Of course like anything, everyone is different and there are exceptions. But for most newbies, a Full Body workout 2-3x/week is a good start, then progress to Upper/Lower 2x week and go from there. FWIW - I've been lifting for years and I do an Upper/Lower split.

definitely not claiming to be a special snowflake, but due to my schedule i only work out muscle groups 1x every week... i have been doing this since the beginning (6 months ago) with the exception of adding additional at-home glute challenges starting in month 3.

my results thus far:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1309674-6-months-of-lifting-loving-my-body-recomp
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options

I agree with this ^^
  • gymbunny1962
    gymbunny1962 Posts: 36 Member
    Options

I agree with this ^^

Was starting to think it was just me that wasn't a big NROL4W fan! Tried for a few months but have had better results with a program tailored to suit my own specific requirements.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options

I agree with this ^^

Was starting to think it was just me that wasn't a big NROL4W fan! Tried for a few months but have had better results with a program tailored to suit my own specific requirements.

I did 3 months, I liked the first month but after that it seemed like it moved away from the main compound lifts, and there was all that HIIT training I didn't want to be bothered with.