Looking for some motivation

Options
Hello,

My name is Claire and I am 31 years old. I was diagnosed with PCOS in my teens which has made losing weight hugely difficult. I have spend a lot of time researching this over the past 2 years and have managed to lose 20 pounds over that 2 years but that is with burning at least 500 cals 6 days per week and then keeping under 1300 cals for the most part (obviously I have had the odd day where that didn't happen!).

I still have the typical PCOS belly and have about 35 pounds still to lose. I ended up at the Drs today in tears and she finally agreed to let me try Metformin to see if it makes any difference (fingers crossed). I know its not a wonder drug and I still have to work really hard but I just want to be on a level playing field!

Anyone, I'm looking for anyone to give motivation (and receive back!) so please feel free to add me!

Claire

Replies

• 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Hi Claire-

I don't have any knowledge or experience with PCOS but since not one replied to you yet I wanted to let you know there are lots of groups out there of people with specific interests and medical conditions. I am sure there is at least one for PCOS. There should be all sorts of PCOS specific threads on there and other members who are in the same boat as you. On the community page in the dark blue bar there is a groups link where you can search and join groups.

~Best wishes
  • Hi. I don't have PCOS, but I do have Hypothyroidism. I know that PCOS can sometimes be caused by an underactive or undiagnosed thyroid (my sister has both PCOS and Hypothyroidism). In looking at some research, you will find that for both conditions steering clear of gluten, sugar, and soy can be beneficial. I know it is much easier said than done. Maybe not just count the calories, but look at what foods you are eating. Best of luck. Feel free to friend me.