Family dinners looking for Moms and Dads

So I'm feeling kind of blah today about making my family dinner. So I'm looking for some inspiration. I have 4 kids a grandma and a husband to feed nightly. I'm looking for healthy satisfying meals for the whole family. You can look at my food dairy I have only been doing it for 8 days but I'm already feeling board....IDK I have gone a week with out going on to eat. I did come home Monday night to the family having pizza but I didn't eat it. I had eggs before I left....But I want to have meals with the family and I want my whole family to eat better, healthier and fresher foods and limit going out on a special occasion and not one more times a week like I was doing...

So what are you making tonight for your family dinner or what was you favorite meal you';ve made recently ? My youngest is allergic to rice so we can't have that.

Replies

• thavoice
    thavoice Posts: 1,326 Member
    So I'm feeling kind of blah today about making my family dinner. So I'm looking for some inspiration. I have 4 kids a grandma and a husband to feed nightly. I'm looking for healthy satisfying meals for the whole family. You can look at my food dairy I have only been doing it for 8 days but I'm already feeling board....IDK I have gone a week with out going on to eat. I did come home Monday night to the family having pizza but I didn't eat it. I had eggs before I left....But I want to have meals with the family and I want my whole family to eat better, healthier and fresher foods and limit going out on a special occasion and not one more times a week like I was doing...

So what are you making tonight for your family dinner or what was you favorite meal you';ve made recently ? My youngest is allergic to rice so we can't have that.
    I made chicked on the grill that was marinated in brown sugar and worchestershire (sp?) sauce, baked potatoes, and grilled veggietables (4 diff peppers, onions, carrots, brocoli and cauliflower).

and choc covered strawbetteris for dessert. They are surprisingly ok for you as it doesnt take much choc to cover them.
  • nomad1000
    nomad1000 Posts: 206 Member
    http://www.skinnytaste.com/ is my go to website when looking for new healthy recipes.

http://www.skinnytaste.com/2009/01/spinach-stuffed-shells-with-meat-sauce.html is one of our fav recipes. We actually double the recipe and freeze it for another night's dinner.
  • ronbo62098
    ronbo62098 Posts: 59 Member
    We generally go with the classic trio: meat, starch, veggie. For each of these you can choose all kinds of things.

Chicken, pork, steak, burgers, pot roast, fish, etc.

Potatoes, noodles, pasta, rice, etc.

Any and all veggies (we like corn, peas and green beans)

Mix and match these and you can go a long time between any "repeat" meals.
  • We've did grilled chicken last night and then grilled chick this afternoon for lunch.

I flunked today and we had cereal for dinner....
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Involve the children and the other adults in the meal planning, shopping, and cooking so that they are happy to eat the new foods.

And cereal can be a good supper.