Trouble with Multi-Vitamin

Options
amandzor
amandzor Posts: 386 Member
I'm just curious if anyone else has the same trouble with Multi-Vitamins as I do.

Every time I take one, with food or without, I feel nauseous like 20-30 mins later. I've never gotten to the point of a dash to the porcelain throne, but man, does it suck.

I've switched different brands, and nothing seems to help.

Ack.

Replies

• bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I don't, but it's not uncommon. Some find the gummy vitamins easier on the tummy.
  • amberj32
    amberj32 Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    Yes, I also have trouble with multi-vitamins. I always have to take with food or after I ate. I noticed that the adult gummy vitamins or kid vitamins don't do this to me. I also only take one gummy at a time, so like one in the morning and one at night.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    If memory serves, it's the iron. I'm one of those people. Try having at night, after dinner. See if that helps.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    Options
    There are specific vitamins or minerals that people often have issues with, like iron and magnesium. You might try finding a multi without iron (even though as a woman you're probably better off with it.)
  • Shuuma
    Shuuma Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I cannot tolerate Iron supplements. I become so nauseated when I take them, so I have to make sure there isn't "added Iron" in my supplements to make sure they stay down.
  • Curtruns
    Curtruns Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    do you have difficulty meeting your needs with real food? I am sometimes a bit low on iron but always seem to be in the ballpark with diet alone.
  • amberlykay1014
    amberlykay1014 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    Yes, every time. With or without food, no matter what time of day.

I switched to the VitaCraves Gummies and they don't make me ill at all.
  • remlaw06
    remlaw06 Posts: 20
    Options
    I had this issue as well. Gummy vitamins don't have the same effect, but still have iron and magnesium in them. It's worth trying them if you haven't yet! (some of them are pretty delicious as well, but they do have calories)
  • krawhitham
    krawhitham Posts: 831 Member
    Options
    I get sick when I take any vitamins, so I don't. I don't need them. I get all of the vitamins and minerals I need from my food.

Only take vitamins if you know you're deficient in something. They're not proven to help people who already get proper nutrition through diet.
  • amandzor
    amandzor Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    I get sick when I take any vitamins, so I don't. I don't need them. I get all of the vitamins and minerals I need from my food.

Only take vitamins if you know you're deficient in something. They're not proven to help people who already get proper nutrition through diet.

I believe the only thing the Dr said when I had blood work done (about 4-5 months ago) was that my Vitamin D was low. Which, is not uncommon, especially for those of us who live in a less sunny area of the country. (I'm in Seattle)

She also said that Vitamin D is better absorbed with calcium, so I may switch to just that, or give gummy vitamins a try. Though holy cow are those way more expensive than traditional sort.

Either way, I don't think I'm going to be taking my current ones. Yuck.

Thanks!
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options

I believe the only thing the Dr said when I had blood work done (about 4-5 months ago) was that my Vitamin D was low. Which, is not uncommon, especially for those of us who live in a less sunny area of the country. (I'm in Seattle)

She also said that Vitamin D is better absorbed with calcium, so I may switch to just that, or give gummy vitamins a try. Though holy cow are those way more expensive than traditional sort.

Either way, I don't think I'm going to be taking my current ones. Yuck.

Thanks!

You can buy Vitamin D + Calcium in a single tablet, too, which is even more convenient. If you don't need the iron (which like everyone said is usually the culprit), it would definitely make sense to switch to a D+calcium supplement!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I found that multi-vitamins give me an upset stomach. I tried halving the dose and it wasn't as bad (I was already taking them with food), but ended up deciding I probably didn't need them anyway. Did not try the gummies, though I've thought about it.

It wasn't iron for me, since I intentionally chose the kind without iron, because my mother has hemochromatosis.