Does Protein Powder Expire?

Options
Caper88
Caper88 Posts: 418 Member
I was wondering if anyone can tell me if protein power expire and how affect it would be if it does? I have a bottle but I can't seem to find an expire date on it. How long should I keep it before I throw it out?

Replies

• No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,661 Member
    Options
    it does expire

there should be an expiration date on it somewhere. i had to hunt to find the date on the tub that is on my desk, it was actually on the bottom.

i don't think your doing to hurt yourself at all if you use it past the date tho... which is probably a year or even two after the manufacture date
  • mstaser
    mstaser Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    I don't know if it officially expires or not, but I have had some just taste really bad after an extended time on the shelf. But I doubt any of the nutrients will change.
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,661 Member
    Options
    i've had an instance where a powder tasted funky.

it was a post work out blend, not just protien, so there was a lot of sugar in it.

i bought it at the vitamin shope and the woman suggested i shake the container vigorously. I did that and it tasted much better.

i mix my own post workout drink and i'm very careful to mix ingredients in the propper proportions. when there is a powder with several different ingreidents, i dont know how you can really be sure you are getting them in the porportions outlined on the nutrition lable. I mean, i don't think each granual is a fusion of all the ingredients. this would apply less to straight protien though.
  • Caper88
    Caper88 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    So the taste might change but the effectiveness wont? It is still safe to consume if it has been sitting for a while. I don't think it has been a year yet.
  • Ziggyzambo
    Ziggyzambo Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    If it doesn't smell or taste bad, it's fine. (btw this applies to almost every food that "expires")
  • ksuh999
    ksuh999 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    I used some recently that had an expiry date for November 2013 and it's starting to smell funky now. Last one I had tasted sorta weird too.
  • maizerage66
    maizerage66 Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Most protein powders have a shelf life of up to 5 years. And even then it is likely safe to consume it for some time after that date. But if it smells or tastes rotten then it might not be a good idea to consume.