proper form for beginning pushups

Options
Ohwhynot
Ohwhynot Posts: 356 Member
OK I know how a push-up SHOULD look. Well, I can't get close to that. Not yet.

Is it better for me to try on my knees and sort of do that snakey-floppy-poorly formed wussy pushup just to get it done, or should I just focus on proper form and pushing hard against the floor, even if I can't lift myself up off the ground? What about if I do a push-up motion against the wall then work my way down at an angle in steps (like, against a counter, then on the stairs, etc) until I'm on the floor? Thoughts?

I am DETERMINED to do perfect push-ups in the future. I've never ever ever ever done a single push-up and want to change that.

TIA!

Replies

• brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    Look at a pushup progression ... wall, to inclined (hands on stairs or countertops), to knees, to regular and beyond.
  • tonynguyen75
    tonynguyen75 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    You can use the back of a chair or the edge of a couch until you can do them from your knees. I would focus on good form and being able to do a fair number per set (5-10) x 3 sets. I find that I don't improve much if I can only do 1-3 reps a set.
  • conniedj
    conniedj Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    Every variation of a push up is going to get your stronger! Wide, narrow, knee, against a wall....just keep pushing!

What really made a difference for me to go from one hurting push up on the floor to 40+ ?? Bench pressing, OHP, BOR, Deads.
  • Ohwhynot
    Ohwhynot Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Thanks, guys!
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,662 Member
    Options
    Look at a pushup progression ... wall, to inclined (hands on stairs or countertops), to knees, to regular and beyond.

wall will be easy, but i'm not seeing incline as easier then on your knees.

you might want to skip that and go straight to your knees (if you find it more difficult).

do your best to keep good form as you progress.

consider planking to work on a straight back
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options

wall will be easy, but i'm not seeing incline as easier then on your knees.

you might want to skip that and go straight to your knees (if you find it more difficult).

do your best to keep good form as you progress.

consider planking to work on a straight back

It all depends on the angles.
  • 60sPanda
    60sPanda Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I learnt by starting on stairs and working my way down to the bottom. Keeping the back straight and stomach in is ,most important.
  • Hadabetter
    Hadabetter Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    Watch this vid. It will help a lot.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gL1593kROa8
  • fushigi1988
    fushigi1988 Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    Wall, table, chair, floor. By going on your knees you make it easier on your core, and that's usually the area that needs work.
    Planks help too, check form in mirror.
  • badbcatha05
    badbcatha05 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Are you working out in a gym? If you are, use the Smith machine... you can adjust the level of the bar as you get stronger. That way you use all of your muscles including the core to stabilize. I switch to incline from knee push ups recently, and they are surprisingly difficult even with your hands at higher levels compared to doing them on your knees. If you are home, use counter tops, tables, chairs until you work your way down to the floor.