Work outs for when injured?

Options
What do you do for fitness when you are injured? I got tossed from my horse last night and re-injured my lower back so it cuts out a lot of what I can do for a while until healed. So all I can think of is walking but that just doesn't seem like enough.

Replies

• luckypony71
    luckypony71 Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    My injury is a torn meniscus not a back injury so my answer might not be right for you, but the elliptical machine was my best friend for the last 4 weeks. Even walking was hard for me to do, as long as my feet didn't have to lift I could workout.

I really hope you will be okay. It is not fun coming off the back of the horse in an unplanned fashion.
  • davemunger
    davemunger Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    Elliptical, bike, stair climber, uphill treadmill walking. if none of those work, then I just start crying.
  • Samby_v1
    Samby_v1 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Swimming for taking the weight off your back while you work out, Pilates for rehabilitation.
  • hoyalawya2003
    hoyalawya2003 Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    Yoga is great for recovery, too. And please take a rest day or two for your body! I recently had a fall too (what I get for kicking out of the stirrups thinking he had settled down). I took a couple days completely off and then eased back in with walking and yoga. Swimming was a great suggestion, too, I will keep that in mind for next time (and unfortunately there is always a next time...)
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,662 Member
    Options
    recommend you see a dr.

but the rule of thumb for back is take 3 days to a week of major rest, then slowly return to exercise.

i've had back injuries that just wouldn't go away until i began gently challenging the injury
  • 60sPanda
    60sPanda Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Don't do any exercise (except walking) until you see a doc/physio. Swimming is good, but if you have a back injury stick to front crawl or backstroke and do not do any breaststroke (bad for the back anyway unless done properly).
  • MissMissle
    MissMissle Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    Can you swim? I got tossed years ago, well, actually I fell, and broke some vertebrea in my lower back - there were certain things i thought i could do that were actually horrible for the healing process so Im glad i brought them up to the doctor. I was able to swim, and to do small weights while laying on my back - but I couldnt really exercise my legs out of water other than walking :-(

Id ask a PT person - depending on what part of your back you hurt you can do certain exercises, but then there are other movements you really shouldn't do, even if it doesn't hurt, because it might throw things out of whack... well...this is what i was told anyway.

Ie the broken back i was on crutches, restricted to walking, light weights, and swimming - the broken tailbone I got on my horse the next day and just stayed in my half seat the entire time (crying, but determined) - you don't want to screw around with back injuries.... they are serious... ask a doctor!!