Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

IBS needs to gain weight

My son has IBS and is VERY thin. He is 25, and 6'2". He has been to several doctors over the years with no real treatment. Any constructive suggestions?

Replies

• JustAnotherGirlSuzanne
    JustAnotherGirlSuzanne Posts: 932 Member
    Has he been tested for celiac disease? This sounds exactly like what happened to a friend of mine. She was misdiagnosed for years with IBS and her body was wasting away because the disease was destroying her ability to absorb vitamins and minerals. Her body pushed the food out of her almost as soon as she ate it and so she wasn't able to get the full benefit of all the calories.

Just something to look into. It is very easily controlled if it is celiac.

I hope he's able to figure it out!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    My husband has ibs and is trying to gain a few pounds. He has full fat dairy, peanut butter, nuts and seeds... Boiled eggs as snacks
  • Ulwaz
    Ulwaz Posts: 380 Member
    calorie dense, healthy foods;

nuts, avocado, potatoes, pasta, bread, rice, eggs, yoghurt, milk, cheese, coconut, bananas, mango, dried fruit, eating little and often, but seek some professional help for advice x
  • MagnumBurrito
    MagnumBurrito Posts: 1,070 Member
    He's probably eating many things regularly that he's allergic to.
  • macelmer
    macelmer Posts: 55 Member
    I have Crohn's Disease, which is very different from IBS. But the common thing it shares is either diarrhea or constipation, which can make you not want to eat depending on which bathroom problem one has. How about medications to manage the symptoms? There are several on the market that can make the IBS more tolerable.
    What about a dietician? They can be very helpful in setting up a meal plan.
    Personally for me, I like to drink my calories if I cannot tolerate eating. There are several dairy free milk substitutes that can be used with drink mixes. Or if it is tolerated, Boost and Ensure work well. I also eat foods that are not necessarily healthy for me, but that I can tolerate. A food journal will help to determine what foods are tolerable and which ones give symptoms.
    Other than that, research IBS and get as much info as possible on it, and keep looking for a gastroenterologist that you feel confident will be able to treat your son.