So, I've hit a wall

Options
I started back up on here in March and had a great month. I started to get friends and was very social on the site. I had a challenge with my buddy on who could lose the most weight in 30 days and I won by a pound. My problem is I lost my motivation and now I'm floundering around. I still exercise, 3 bike rides, 2 HIIT and one run a week, but my diet is crap. My no-eating out policy gone away and when I eat in I don't make great decisions. The only thing good I still do diet-wise, is I still don't drink and soda. It's funny cause I know what I should do, but I still don't do it. I'm sure other people on here have gone through this before, how did you break out of it? I need a push in the right direction and I'm not sure how to get it.

Replies

• Kita328
    Kita328 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    I know I have been there. I hit a plateau in weight loss and it was about the second month of no weight loss that I just got so frustrated I was like whatever it doesnt matter.

I ended up gaining about 10 of the 19 pounds because I "fell off the wagon". I too kept working out and just eating crummy- I dont know if it was a combination of gaining or stress that brought be back full throttle about 2 months ago- but either way- I came back. I just had to get my mind right.
    I still have yet to find my WHY. People always talk about the WHY being the reason that keeps people on track- I dont know if my WHY is big enough. I dont have health problems I am not uncomfortable in my skin. I just have that dream of being fit and having muscles. I have always wanted to have a body that was firm with definition in my arms and abs... For now that is my why. Saying it outloud seems small. Its all I got. and its got me this far. Ill keep going.
    Good luck with your journey, and with figuring out your why.
  • jksak
    jksak Posts: 1
    Options
    Your extrinsic motivation (the bet you had with your friend) seems to have been very beneficial for you! Just a thought/suggestion, if you need that type of motivation, there is a site called dietbet.com. I just finished a bet on there... My particular bet was to lose 4% in 30 days. I bet $30 and the payout ended up being $54.
    Good luck!
  • RaeKM
    RaeKM Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I wish I knew how you break out of it because I am in the same boat. I lost around 35 lbs between January and March just by changing a few things and it is like I have hit a wall. I have bad days and believe everyone should, but all and all I have continued along the same path that was working so well. I really want to A. lose 20 more (and keep it off) or B. slim down 2 pant sizes.

jksak - I am glad I popped into this thread - I am going to check out dietbet.com. Thanks!
  • mulecanter
    mulecanter Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    Competition always helps me too. I've been in three weight loss challenges since I started in August. They are groups started by MFP members and they provide a bit of competition and mutual support. I'd join the next one starting up. They often have spreadsheets the group shares online and that allows you to see how you stack up--good or bad. Also, setting intermediate goals (like lose 15 by this date) helps focus things. I'd also add that you need fitness goals like entering a 10k or running a new longer distance. Bottom line is that you have to really want it--examine yourself and see what is truly your desire.
  • NotAResolution
    NotAResolution Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Your extrinsic motivation (the bet you had with your friend) seems to have been very beneficial for you! Just a thought/suggestion, if you need that type of motivation, there is a site called dietbet.com. I just finished a bet on there... My particular bet was to lose 4% in 30 days. I bet $30 and the payout ended up being $54.
    Good luck!
    Thanks for this info. I signed up for a DietBet that started last week. It is helping with my motivation, or maybe I should say moneyvation.