Going back to school . . . weight loss suggestions?

Options
In September, I am going back to school to finish the last three courses of my master's degree. I am doing really well with my weight loss right now because I get a lot of exercise tending a goat herd and walking a client dog three times a week. However, when I'm back at school, I'll be working at least four days/week, which means both of those activities go bye-bye. I was thinking of setting my activity level back to sedentary and my weight loss goal to a half pound a week, just to keep from gaining weight, until I know what kind of exercise I can work in. I'll probably bring a sandwich or something for lunch and try to walk for at least 15 minutes at a rate similar to what I do with Shiloh, but I don't want to go back to clients all smelly and sweaty, either.

Does this sound like a reasonable plan to you folks? Do you have other suggestions that might help?

Replies

• LittleMissMuffin7
    Options
    I go straight from work 8:30-5 to school 3 nights a week from 6-830. It takes me 10 minutes to get to school and I walk 30 minutes before class every night. I struggle with eating after work. If you find something that sticks with you through the night PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE let me know. I try and fill up right before I leave work but sometimes it doesn't hold all night.
  • levitateme
    levitateme Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    I also work and go to school - 5 days work (8-4:30), 4 nights school (6-8 or 6-10).

I get up at 5 am to fit in the gym and get home from school anywhere from 9-11 pm depending on the day.

It's rough, but it can be done if you want it.
    I struggle with eating after work. If you find something that sticks with you through the night PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE let me know. I try and fill up right before I leave work but sometimes it doesn't hold all night.

How much are you eating per day?
  • FitFLNana
    FitFLNana Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Sounds reasonable - but I can't see your diary or what you have your calories at now. Just be sure that if you change to sedentary that you eat back all exercise calories. Fit in as much as you can - it may surprise you how you can squeeze in walks or short exercise routines that have a big impact!
  • LoupGarouTFTs
    LoupGarouTFTs Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    Thanks, FitFL Nana. I don't keep my diary open to anyone but friends, since I have had some bad experiences here, but if you want to see my diary to give me *helpful* advice/criticism, I'd be happy to accept a friend request. I'm not looking for recommendations about smoothies or "clean" eating; I'm just looking for suggestions on how to continue my current lifestyle (or close to it) and adapt my exercise options.

I've already started making plans for getting up and walking my own dogs (I'm a night owl, so this plan will probably kill me!), but I'm very interested in learning how other people manage to squeeze in exercise in a busy school/work schedule.
  • HollyDee14
    HollyDee14 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I gained *a lot* of weight while in grad school for 4 years, mostly because I was eating out for lunch frequently and rarely exercising. What I wish I would have done is prepped lunches and snacks for the whole week on Sundays so that I would have been less likely to pursue a drive-through option. Also, I could have taken a quick walk/jog between classes or clients, just to get out of the building and into the fresh air. Even small bursts of exercise can be really beneficial. I also could have found a really good beverage option other than soda that I could enjoy during class or a meal while my cohort members were drinking one. (Right now I am loving Powerade Zero- $0.80 for 20oz bottle at Wal-Mart.) It's really tough to stay fit while in grad school, but you can do it!!

Best of luck finishing up your coursework!
  • LittleMissMuffin7
    Options
    I also work and go to school - 5 days work (8-4:30), 4 nights school (6-8 or 6-10).

I get up at 5 am to fit in the gym and get home from school anywhere from 9-11 pm depending on the day.

It's rough, but it can be done if you want it.
    I struggle with eating after work. If you find something that sticks with you through the night PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE let me know. I try and fill up right before I leave work but sometimes it doesn't hold all night.

How much are you eating per day?

I eat a decent breakfast (eggs and sausage), and I try to fill up at lunch but it just doesn't stick. Any ideas?