Travelling Abroad with Protein Powder

Options
2»

Replies

• h7463
    h7463 Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    It really is ridiculous that there should be such a problem traveling with protein powder when it is freely available to buy practically anywhere. It's not like you get strawberry flavoured smack lol :tongue:

I don't like the protein bars, too much sugar, carbs and too many calories and again, too expensive. They can't be used in the same way as powder - I mix the powder with my oats in the morning,make pancakes, mix in greek yoghurt, for shakes etc.

I know I'm going on holiday, but I don't want to be coming back after two weeks with 6-9 lbs to lose again. I'd rather keep in control and enjoy myself at the same time.

Here are Turkish customs rules:

Free import:
    1. tobacco products (for travellers aged 18 and over): 200 cigarettes and 5 cigarillos (not exceeding 3g each) and 10 cigars and 200 grammes of tobacco (with 200 cigarette papers) or 200 grammes chewing tobacco or 200 grammes of wate-pipe tobacco or 50 grammes of snuff tobacco;
    2. alcoholic beverages (for travellers aged 18 and over): 1 bottle of 1 litre or 2 bottles of 700 ml./750ml. of wine and/or spirits;
    3. 5 bottles of perfume (max. 120 ml. each);
    4. gifts up to the value of EUR 300.- (EUR 145.- for those aged under 15);
    5. 1kg of coffee; 1kg of instant coffee; 500g of tea; 1kg of chocolate; 1kg food made of sugar;
    6. medications for personal use.

Don't bring over 1kg in case they question if it's food "made of sugar"

Thanks for this meredith, although I thought it would maybe be classed as a milk product?
    I travel 2-3 times per week with protein powder and pre-workout powder. I've used a freezer bag to carry the pre-workout powder since it is from a large container.

Is it Turkey you have traveled to? I know there doesn't seem to be any problems within the EU but as Turkey are not in the EU this is why I'm not sure what to do. Do you think I should just bag and label it and put it in my case, or I was thinking of maybe putting it into an Ovaltine tub or something and removing the label and relabelling to say what it is?

Here is a link to the rest of the customs regulations, the part that includes the prohibited items. Dairy products are prohibited. Case closed, sorry..... Don't waste your money trying, I guess.... Unless you try to find some soy protein or pea protein....

http://turkey.visahq.com/customs/
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    I was in Istanbul last year, you can probably find your product. It's a modern city.
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options
    Hey,

Just wondering if anyone has taken their protein powder on holiday with them. We're going to Turkey in a few weeks and going self-catering so I have some control over what I'm eating while away. I would like to take protein powder with me and I will need to decant some of it into either a bag / tub / jar of some sort as I always buy 2.5kg tubs, but obviously don't want to take the chance that it might be mistaken for something else :wink: !!

Has anyone ever done this and in particular, taken it to Turkey.

Do you just put it in your case or do you have to declare it???

Grateful for any advice.

I would not ask a bunch of strangers on the internet, but call the airline that would take me to turkey for either advise or a reliable telephone number. The Turkish Embassy ( most likely with a toll free number if you are in the US ) probably could give you the most reliable advise
  • MaryJane_8810002
    MaryJane_8810002 Posts: 2,082 Member
    Options
    I usually travel with the entire jar. Its kind of suspicious traveling with a ziploc bag of beige powder these days...
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    Thanks to the wonder of the interwebs, you can look at the GNC website and find the locations of all their stores in Turkey.
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options
    I was in Istanbul last year, you can probably find your product. It's a modern city.

There are GNC stores in Malls in all major cities......
  • mereditheve
    mereditheve Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Dairy products are milk, eggs, cream, butter, cheese, yogurt -- things you would purchase in the dairy aisle of your grocery store. You are not allowed to bring those items to Turkey (the same restrictions apply to many other countries)

However, protein powder is not considered a "dairy product" any more than cookies that have eggs and milk in the ingredients list are "dairy products."

Edit -- P.S. In the end, it doesn't matter how "right" you are if customs/TSA/etc doesn't know the rules. They are human and they get confused about what is/is not allowed. Case in point - I had someone tell me I couldn't bring my Epi-pen through security into a Federal building once because they thought it was an electronic. Obviously it stayed with me, but only after I patiently explained what an Epi-pen is.
  • uchube
    uchube Posts: 44
    Options
    i travel always with mine in a large tupperware container, to france, america, spain. . . no issues. maybe some funny looks and double checks from security.
  • dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    I just wouldn't. The regulations are one thing, but you don't want to have unnecessary hassle while you try and explain what it is to some security guy in Turkey.

Maybe just try to enjoy the wonderful fresh, local produce (this is the Mediterranean..), and save lots of room for yummy strained yogurt if you want the protein. You're on vacation.
  • stephanieharms1290
    stephanieharms1290 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I have only flown domestic with my protein powder, but have never had an issue! I put it into Tuppeware, and into my carry-on. Not sure the rules Internationally, but it's worth taking a shot!
  • purpleleopard76
    purpleleopard76 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Just an update, the airline didn't know if protein powder was allowed or not and just referred me to the Turkish customs web page.

Anyhoo, I decided to take it with me and put it in my case. Put it in a large plastic tub with the label off the original packaging attached. No questions, no issues, happy days :happy:

Ovacik is in the mountains and kind of remote, so I'm glad I did take it with me as the place we were staying did not have anywhere I could have bought it from. Yes I could have just eaten loads of protein instead, but a lot of the meats were fried or drizzled with oil, and I had absolutely no idea how many calories were in some of the foods as the servings were huge, so I was glad to have it at the end of the day. :smile:
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    I've been wondering about this too as I will be flying into Germany next month. I'll be on a cycling holiday so I need to ensure I'm getting enough protein (don't want my quads catabolising while riding long distance all week). I think I'll get a small pack and take it unopened. I may have to go without creatine though as that will look particularly suspicious.
  • abadvat
    abadvat Posts: 1,241 Member
    Options
    It really is ridiculous that there should be such a problem traveling with protein powder when it is freely available to buy practically anywhere.

Practically anywhere... in Turkey too!!
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Hey,

Just wondering if anyone has taken their protein powder on holiday with them. We're going to Turkey in a few weeks and going self-catering so I have some control over what I'm eating while away. I would like to take protein powder with me and I will need to decant some of it into either a bag / tub / jar of some sort as I always buy 2.5kg tubs, but obviously don't want to take the chance that it might be mistaken for something else :wink: !!

Grateful for any advice.
    So you want to 2.5kg of a strange cloloured powder on a plane to another country!! Customs will love you. You know that Turkey has sources of protein as well? They do eat there
  • purpleleopard76
    Options
    Hey,

Grateful for any advice.
    So you want to 2.5kg of a strange cloloured powder on a plane to another country!! Customs will love you. You know that Turkey has sources of protein as well? They do eat there

I didn't say I wanted to take 2.5 kg, I said I would need to decant it, and it's white, not strange coloured. And yes, I am aware that they eat there but you obviously didn't read my reasons for taking it. Really no need to be so sarcastic but hey, I suppose some people can't help themselves.
  • purpleleopard76
    Options
    It really is ridiculous that there should be such a problem traveling with protein powder when it is freely available to buy practically anywhere.

Practically anywhere... in Turkey too!!

Yeah - but not where I was staying!! Believe I said that before.

Sadly another person who posts without reading and instead just leaves some sarcastic comment.
  • JJeMitchell
    JJeMitchell Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I have family there and customs can be a total pain. You are lucky you didn't get searched!