Eggs or smoothie for breakfast?

Options
I've been wondering: should I stick with my fruit and veg smoothie (and maybe add some form of protein to it like almond butter) or switch to egg (whites?) and spinach for breakfast?

All this ketone talk has me confused about protein vs fruit...I've been thinking I might as well start the day off light to limit calories all together and get my raw on :) but the neanderthals out there seem to think I sould be having eggs and bacon (!) to burn fat, not sugar...

Ideas? Opinions? Thx!

Replies

• diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    I try to have protein for breakfast but not because I'm a Neanderthal. It keeps me fuller and I have a hard time hitting my protein goals so I have to fit it in where I can.

What it comes down to is which one you like better and which one fits into your goals best.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    Why not both? Or mix it up - a smoothie one day and eggs the next?
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    One meal does not a balanced diet make or break. Some of us find that protein for breakfast keeps our appetite in check and prevents the mid-day sugar lows that bring on snack attacks. Some folks are less affected by this.

Yes, there's keto and clean and IF and 5/7 and, and, and, and, ... but, in general, for the long term a healthy diet is not affected by which meal you eat what foods. If your overall diet resembles the proportions of the "Healthy Eating Plate (http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/healthy-eating-plate/) and you are meeting your overall calorie targets, you are likely to get the results you want.

And, yes, I do understand that the muscle-builders do special things to get their muscles built the way they want them built. I'm talking to the rest of us.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    Have what you like that suits your caloric needs and keeps you full and satisfied until lunch. Maybe it's eggs, maybe a smoothie, but there is no right answer. It's up to you. Try each. Alternate. Be daring. : )

I personally would tend toward eggs and whole fruit because the protein and fat in eggs keeps me full for a light calorie punch and a smoothie (vs. whole fruit) is too many calories gone in slurp-slurp.
  • tryett
    tryett Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    There isn't much protein in almond butter. I would either add yogurt or protein powder
  • dlionsmane
    dlionsmane Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    If you are hitting your protein macro by the end of the day then you should have what you like for breakfast. If it is hard for you to reach your protein goals (like me) then you should add some to your breakfast. Personally 5 out of 7 days I have eggs for breakfast because I have a hard time reaching my protein goals w/o it.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    I have a pretty high protein goal...all of my meals and snacks have a pretty good wallop of protein. I usually eat scrambled eggs for breakfast with some whole grain toast (or Coach's Oats) and some fruit...sometimes I have a smoothie if I'm on the go, but I always give it a protein punch with some greek yogurt and egg whites from a carton (pasteurized so you can do that kind of thing).