Training Dog To Run?

Options
2»

Replies

• GunterRose
    GunterRose Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I don't have dogs and I only run when chased, so I'm of little help. I just wanted to chime in and say that I love your dog's name :wink: .

Thanks! I find that people that have read ASoIF or watch GoT love it, but anyone else looks at my like I'm crazy!
  • MyOwnSunshine
    MyOwnSunshine Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    My pit bull loves to run with me. We started on walk/run intervals similar to C25K (I'd done C25K before but let my running lapse). I've found that when we're consistent (or inconsistent) with running, we have about the same amount of endurance. If I'm too tired and hot, she is too. It was not hard to train her to run with me at all. I use a leash called a "Stunt Puppy" running leash that consists of a belt that goes around my waist and a bungee leash that attaches to her (Amazon). That way, if she suddenly darts off, there is some cushion.

Running with your dog, especially a 1-year-old, is great motivation to consistently work out, and is more fun for me than running alone.
  • Mygsds
    Mygsds Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    Raise German Shepherds for SAR search and rescue. We live on 100 acres and exercise the dogs several times a day. Just start slowly and you will be able to tell by watching your dog. Remember although you may be ok in the heat, they have on that fur coat. Dogs can not sweat and can easily get overcome with heat stroke. Just keep an eye on his tongue. Light to dark purple means he is not getting enough oxygen. My dogs are used to drinking out of a water bottle and be sure to have with you. Best to you and be sure to condition your dog just like a athlete. Very enjoyable when they can go with..
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Just a word of caution about puppies - you shouldn't try running with a dog until it is over 1 year old, as its bones are still forming properly before then.
  • ShrinkinMel
    ShrinkinMel Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Get a husky you probably won't be able to run enough. lol I'm sure a slow increase will work for training and building endurance for dogs too. But make sure the vet says its healthy for the breed.