Low Cal Mayo?

Options
Hey all,

Mayo uses up a lot of my calories in the day - it's my all time favorite thing, i'd have it any time, all the time on anything if I had my way! Before I was on MFP I was probably consuming at least 500 calories of it in one meal which blows my mind, but brings me on to my question...

What are the nicest low calorie/low fat mayo brands that you've had? I've tried a few (Tesco... tasted sour and gross, Weight watchers... no thank you very muchly) and I really want to find one I like, but it seems like a waste then having jars of barely used mayo in my fridge!

OR are there any other sauces/dressings that people like and use regularly that would be better? I love tomato ketchup too, but they're really the only two i've tried!

Any help or suggestions would be much appreciated :D

Replies

• diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    I use the Kraft Mayo made with Olive Oil. It's like 35 or 45 cals per Tbsp.
  • rose313
    rose313 Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    I think Hellman's has a light mayo. Not sure if that counts as low-cal mayo but it is lower calorie than the regular stuff.
  • shutyourpieholeandsquat
    shutyourpieholeandsquat Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options

This^ healthier than only soybean oil etc (which I believe it has some still but has olive oil too)
  • GeorgieGuitar
    Options

This^ healthier than only soybean oil etc (which I believe it has some still but has olive oil too)

Oooh, is this available in England?
  • ImmoralWayz
    Options
    If it does not have mayo then it is not a real sandwich. I use the miracle whip light...it has like 20 cals a serving so I am pretty conservative with it.
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    I like both the mayo with olive oil - I've had Kraft and Best Foods, I think they're each 60 calories per Tbs - and Best Foods Canola Oil mayo, with is only 40 calories per Tb. Both taste great, and I don't think either have the additives you generally find in "low fat" options.
  • AbsolutelyAnnie
    AbsolutelyAnnie Posts: 2,695 Member
    Options
    To be perfectly honest, I cannot personally recommend a low fat mayo. I love mayo too much to mess around with pale imitations.

That said, Duke's makes the best mayo I have ever had (at 53, that's plenty) and I would be willing to try their low fat if it were forced on me. Not sure if it is available where you are, but it might be worth a try.

Also, 5 tbsp of mayo (500 calories) is 1/3 cup. Omigoodness gracious, what are you eating that needs that much mayo? Haha! Remember, I am on team mayo, so I get the love.

Tonight I made a BLT and used just under 1 tablespoon of real mayo and it was really plenty. The kicker was that I added some chopped fresh basil and it boosted the flavor of the whole sandwich. Beyond that, I do not use any replacements for real mayo. There are none.
  • paulawatkins1974
    paulawatkins1974 Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    I love light miracle whip on sandwiches about 30 cal
  • ThinkInOregon
    Options
    So far I have never found one that doesn't taste like Miracle Whip/salad dressing. I just use the real stuff and try to limit my use of it.

I do like honey mustard, not sure if the calories for that are any better, as well as Asian sweet chili sauce.
  • GeorgieGuitar
    Options
    To be perfectly honest, I cannot personally recommend a low fat mayo. I love mayo too much to mess around with pale imitations.

That said, Duke's makes the best mayo I have ever had (at 53, that's plenty) and I would be willing to try their low fat if it were forced on me. Not sure if it is available where you are, but it might be worth a try.

Also, 5 tbsp of mayo (500 calories) is 1/3 cup. Omigoodness gracious, what are you eating that needs that much mayo? Haha! Remember, I am on team mayo, so I get the love.

Tonight I made a BLT and used just under 1 tablespoon of real mayo and it was really plenty. The kicker was that I added some chopped fresh basil and it boosted the flavor of the whole sandwich. Beyond that, I do not use any replacements for real mayo. There are none.

I'll definitely have a hunt around here for Dukes in that case! And ahhh, never underestimate how much I loved mayo... Love. Still love so much. I was also eating about double what i do now! So imagine not just one chicken burger but two (and fries.. and onion rings...) completely covered in the stuff, with extra for redipping the burgers in! Same went for salads i'm afraid although it's awful to admit, to mask the taste of the greenery I didn't used to like, LOADS of mayo was my solution hahaha!

Maybe it's just in the uk that the lower calorie options are just so meh... if so i'm going to have to switch my mayo for something else :(
  • RockWarrior84
    RockWarrior84 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    FYI Kraft mayo with oilve oil and lite kraft mayo are virtually the same when looking at the labels. Fat free is 10 calories compared to the others are 35 calories. Fat free only has slightly more sodium.
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    I have a store brand low cal one that I love, and it's 50 a serving. It's a small chain, so definitely wouldn't be over in England!
    What I'd recommend is scouring the aisles, and reading labels. Can't go wrong with the olive oil mayo that's been suggested.
  • chantwizzle83
    chantwizzle83 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Making your own is pretty easy. And then you know exactly whats in it. Or just eat real mayo. Sometimes that low fat/cal stuff is worse for you than the full fat stuff.
  • coaoalo
    coaoalo Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    The best low fat mayo I've ever tried is ASDAs own brand one. It's still not real mayonaise but it's the only one I've found that's edible.
  • LifeWithPie
    LifeWithPie Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    I think Hellman's Light is delicious and only 35 cals per Tbls. Plus it comes in that convenient squeezie bottle. :smile:
  • KaelaLee88
    KaelaLee88 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    If you live in the UK, I suggest Bramwells Lighter than Light Mayonnaise from Aldi.

It's super cheap and the lightest and nicest tasting Mayo i've ever had :)

Kaela x
  • Smirnoff65
    Smirnoff65 Posts: 1,060 Member
    Options
    Hellmans as well as doing their regular 'light' mayo at around 35 cals per tbsp they also do a lighter than light version that is only 10 cal per tbsp, I have used this when making a prawn cocktail and it tasted fine.
  • LunaGreen
    LunaGreen Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Some people hate on walden farms but we use the mayo and syrup in our house. I rarely have sandwiches and only really use it on those but it does the job for 0 calories.
  • LunaGreen
    LunaGreen Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Also, we have mustard more often.
  • SomeNights246
    SomeNights246 Posts: 807 Member
    Options

I was going to say the same thing.

It actually tastes pretty good. There's a slight taste difference, but it's not too bad of one.

I, also, make use of mustard a lot. Dijon and brown are my favorites.