Calories In vs. Out + Exercise Debate!! HELP!!!

Options
1235»

Replies

• heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Generally 60 - 75 minutes cycling at 16-18 mph, current weight is 254. Please tell me what that burns according to your figures. Please. Thanks.

I cycled 38 miles in about 2 hours and 20 minutes today (average speed 16.2 mph), and my Garmin Edge 800 estimated about 1150 calories. About half the ride was in a group, so I got some benefit from drafting, and it was pretty flat, just over 1000 feet of climbing. Cycling solo in the hills I can burn 10-12 calories a minute if I push hard.

I'm currently 160 lb., but unless you're climbing a lot of hills, weight doesn't matter as much for cycling energy expenditure as it does for most other activities. See http://www.bikecalculator.com for some useful calculations.

Nice site, matched my ride today pretty close compared to my personal VO2max test formula. Nice to see realistic watts figure.

34.35 mile, 122.7 min, grade 1.77 avg, 190 lb + 25 lb, 900 ft
    1890 calories on calc, 1813 on my formula.

Now my Garmin 310XT was way off, but it doesn't have use my VO2max figure without tweaking the height either. 1388 cal.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    OP - so you are of the opinion that a bigger deficit is better?

Meaning you burn as much as you can with all activity through the day, but you only eat 1200. The amount of activity doesn't matter.

Why don't you just stop eating then and get it over with quicker?

Whatever your reason why you think that extreme is a bad idea, and probably many more you aren't even aware of, can still happen - just can take longer.

So get used to eating so little - you may need to stay down at that level if you don't want to gain the weight back.

But wouldn't it be incredible to find out you could lose the same amount and eat more, maybe not the first couple weeks of big losses, but eventually the average overall?

http://www.t-nation.com/diet-fat-loss/truth-about-metabolic-damage