c25k - starting today!

Options
anyone interested in joining me???

i'm not a runner (barely a walker lol) and i usually prefer cycling or other activities to walk/run but i'm deciding to get over my fear of shin splints & begin this program. I tried it once in 2008 (for 2 days) and it didnt work out but i was alot less educated about exercise/less active, etc at that point and i think i CAN do it successfully now.... well, i am certainly willing to try again!! i'd like some company please:flowerforyou:

hope to hear from someone!!
ttys!

Replies

• Aid_B
    Aid_B Posts: 427
    Options
    I got to week 8/9 in august and haven't run since, I tried week 1 a month ago and struggled like hell

I'll join you.

First run tuesday night !
  • LoganScottsMom
    LoganScottsMom Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I'm on week 6. The first few weeks were easy for me (I ran off and on already). Now, I'm NO runner...don't get me wrong. But, at week 6....I'm starting to wonder if it will get any easier? HAHA I haven't done any form of exercises in the last couple of days. I'm starting Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred as well. WELL...let's just say, she kicked my butt. I couldn't walk for a couple of days. I figured since I've been running I could handle it -- WRONG! My goal....to do both every day.
  • theresnoeggs
    theresnoeggs Posts: 188 Member
    Options
  • khollyk
    khollyk Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Just finished up week 1 yesterday! I'm a week ahead but feel free to friend me and we can still support each other!
  • mom2teebee
    mom2teebee Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I just started it again today combined with 30 Day Shred. Last year around this time I got to week 5. Then I got sick for 3 weeks and never got back to it steadily.
  • sjyates
    sjyates Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I started this morning! I too plan on doing 30DS along with c25k. Along with my 5k training, I'm shooting for around 12-14 miles walked/jogged a week from now until Christmas!

This will be great to go week by week with someone! I was a runner in high school, then got lazy in college. Every time I try to take it back up, I get too ambitious and burnt out. . .I'm hoping doing the c25k will help me ease back into it!
  • StacLegg
    StacLegg Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I will jump in with you guys!!! I started it a yr & 1/2 ago... I actually ran 2 5K runs.... walk / jogged. I had such a hard time with Shin Splints.... I gave up. I haven't ran since July 4th 2009! Thanksgiving Day my husband, daughters and I are doing a "Turkey Trot 5K" and I am sure I cannot run it.... it will be a walk / jog..... but would be fun to jog more then walk!! =) So I will start working on C25K with you!!!!!!! :drinker:
    :flowerforyou: Thanks for the invite and motivation!!!! :flowerforyou:
  • sjyates
    Options
    Off day. . .
  • amyisley17
    Options
    I started c25k yesterday along with the 30 day shred. Today is my off day. I will be doing W1D2 tomorrow and am looking forward to it. On my off days, I plan to walk a few miles with the shred. Feel free to friend, I can use the support:)
  • missyhse
    missyhse Posts: 189
    Options
    yay for running! Congrats :)
  • sjyates
    Options
    W1 D2 done! :happy:
  • mom2teebee
    mom2teebee Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Week 1 Day 2 is in the books. The last 2 minutes were cut short because my daughter woke up. I finished up by walking 5 minutes with her on the treadmill at a slower pace.
  • amyisley17
    Options
    I finished W1 D2! I am doing this on my treadmill and hope to increase speed as I get used to running. Is there a good speed to start at?
  • sjyates
    Options
    No suggestions on a good speed to start at - as the intervals get longer I plan on using 6 or 6.5 mph. Right now since the intervals are shorter, i go at 7.5 mph.

Off day. . .just need to make myself get up in the morning to finish the week!
  • fullagrace
    Options
    I will be attempting Week 1 Day 2 tonight. I barely made it through Day 1.
  • sjyates
    Options
    I got sick and so did my daughter, so I haven't done day 3 of week 1 yet. . .not sure when I'm going to fit that in. . .Hoping to get back on track soon.
  • fullagrace
    Options
    I did Week one day 2 on thursday (barely) on the treadmill. I attempted Week 1 Day 3 outside on saturday and failed (skipped 2 of the 8 runs).

I will re-do week 1 day 3 tonight on the treadmill.

Its just so hard for me to run. lol I hope it gets easier!!!

Right now its kind of embarrassing breathing so hard after only running for a min when the ppl around me run for like 3 hours non-stop.

Haha I feel pathetic but I push through. The only way I can be like them one day is if I keep trying.

Please God let it get easier!
  • liquey1970
    Options
    :flowerforyou: finished week 2 day 1 last night, with my bestie! Awesome but a bit rough! But we finished it and could walk today! Can't wait to finish week 8 day 3! So looking forward to that!
  • mrtrik
    mrtrik Posts: 31
    Options
    +1 for running!

For those of you with shin splints.... are you wearing good running shoes? Running shoes are not walking shoes. They are not your old sneakers you've had for while, they are not your cross trainers, or gym shoes....

Though somewhat intimidating, go to a good running shoe store (read: not walmart, ****s, sports authority...) and have someone knowledgable about running help you pick out a good running shoe. It might be pricey... $90-$130 but very likely you'll do away with shin splints.

Also - don't try to go to fast! Your body needs to adjust to the new stresses. Take it easy.

When I started running, I suffered from shin splints. Then I got a quality pair of running shoes. Haven't had a single problem since.