Hemp

Options
VastBreak
VastBreak Posts: 322 Member
Is hemp a complete protein??

Reading mixed info, some saying it contains all the essential amino acids.

Replies

• SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    I don't know anything about eating it, though I knit with it sometimes. I'm not sure what you would do with hemp to eat very much of it at one time. I think it is rather like flax seed, which I sometimes put on my granola. . . but only about a half tablespoon at a time.
  • amandabullock120
    amandabullock120 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Incomplete proteins are those that do not have one or more of the essential amino acids.
    Hemp, because it has all of the essential amino acids, is classified as a complete protein.

Hope this helps
  • VastBreak
    Options
    I have hemp protein powder. I bought it to help increase my protein intake. When I purchased it I thought it was a complete protein source. Tonight while visiting at the nursing home, I was speaking with the dietician and she mentioned hemp is not a complete protein. Now researching, I'm reading some stating it is complete and others stating it is not.
  • VastBreak
    Options
    Lysine, is the questionable component from what I can tell?
  • amandabullock120
    amandabullock120 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    It is low in lysine. Typically hemp is paired with other plant protein like rice and/or bean, whey ect

"A disadvantage of hemp protein is that it contains little lysine, and the amounts of leucine and tryptophan are also on the low side. Athletes who are looking to hemp as their main source of protein would be best off taking lysine, leucine and tryptophan supplements as well."

http://www.ergo-log.com/hempprotein.html

I like this site! It has a lot of info!

Are you taking just hemp protein or is it a combo protein that has ehmp in it?